CPR Certification – Benefits, Procedure, Online CPR Certification and Renewal
In today’s world, when every other person is suffering from cardiac diseases, it is very important to have proper medical help available at doorstep in case of an emergency. CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) is an important technique that everyone should learn to assist the victim during a cardiac attack. It may be of much help as it can save somebody’s life in a critical situation until an ambulance arrives. For learning this technique, you don’t need to be a medical professional. All you need is proper training and a certification. You can be a certified CPR professional by following some procedures mentioned below and can save lives of your friends and family.
Benefits of Obtaining a CPR Certificate
Pondering how a CPR certificate can benefit you? Here are some advantages that will motivate you to go for this certification. Have a look.
- If you are trained in providing CPR to infants and children, it may help in various cases, for instance, if they swallow anything which may lead to choking.
- It is always better to have more people certified in CPR in case of emergency as more people can provide CPR for a longer duration.
- By providing CPR to the patient/victim, you can increase the chances of survival up to 40%.
- Getting certified in CPR may open doors to several career opportunities. Some of the jobs require this as a qualification criterion. You become eligible to apply for the positions of lifeguard, personal trainer, etc.
Professionals Who Require CPR Certifications
Some professions in the field of nursing require the aspirants to possess a CPR certificate. They include:
- Occupational Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- LVN (Licensed Vocational Nurse)
- Physical Therapist
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Dental Assistant
- Hospital Technician
- Medical Assistant
- Registered Nurse
Procedure of Obtaining a CPR Certificate
Step 1 – Complete Your Training
To obtain a certificate, first you will have to complete any of the available CPR course (ACLS, BLS or PALS) from a recognized and reputed organization. If you are from a non-medical field, you can opt for CPR BLS (Basic Life Support). ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) is meant for healthcare professionals. Get yourself trained in any of the CPR technique and prepare yourself for the next step, i.e., exam.
Step 2 – Clear the Exam
Next, you are supposed to demonstrate skills that you have learnt in step 1. Once you pass the exam then you become eligible for the certificate. Several online CPR practice tests are available for the aspirants. Take them to practice and increase the chances of qualifying the exam.
Step 3 – Get Certificate
After successful completion of step 1 and 2, you can get the certificate which will be valid for 2 years from the date of issue.
Different Types of CPR Certifications
Different types of CPR certification courses are available, out of which, the most important ones are: ACLS certification, PALS certification, NRP certification.
1. ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) Certification
This course is recommended for medical professionals so that they can assist the person in case of a cardiovascular emergency. The duration of the course is around 12 hours.
The topics that are covered in the classes include:
- How to manage airways
- Reviews of basic life support
- Recognition of signs and symptoms of cardiac arrest
- Management of cardiac attack
2. NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) Certification
This course is for pediatricians, nurses, respiratory therapist, etc. This course can also be undertaken by medical students.
The topics include:
- Use of neonatal resuscitation equipment
- Medical administration, examination, dosing of a new born
- How to provide CPR to infants
3. PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support)
This course is for providing support to individuals in case of pediatrics emergency.
Topics covered in the course are:
- Management of airways
- Case studies related to pediatrics
- Pediatric assessment approach
- Roles and responsibilities in a resuscitation team
Online CPR Certification
In the present technologically advanced era, almost every other institute provides online CPR certification courses. In these courses, student learns about various techniques and methodologies that are involved in CPR including the use of AED or automatic external defibrillator. These online lectures include live action videos that make learning easy.
There are certain pros and cons associated with online certification that you must consider before choosing online training mode.
1. It is the most convenient way to gain the in-depth knowledge of CPR procedures and techniques.
2. Online programs are cost-effective and affordable.
3. You can learn while you earn i.e. if you are working then also you can learn the course by taking each session as per your convenience.
1. The biggest disadvantage of online certification is that you don’t have the instructor to correct you if you are following the wrong procedure.
2. At home, you don’t have the facilities and environment to perform CPR on dummies.
3. It may not be considered valid by some employers.
4. These programs are only for the people who have a stable Internet connection.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
To keep yourself updated with the latest changes in the procedure of CPR and to enhance your skills, it is very important to renew your certificate from time to time before expiration. It is a prerequisite condition to hold a valid certificate for CPR renewal courses. The duration of these classes are much shorter as compared to the standard classes of CPR. All the three options i.e. offline, online, and simulation learning are available for renewing a certificate. You can also take skill tests to revise and retain the knowledge in between certifications. After successful completion of the course, the certificate becomes valid for additional two years.
Some organizations like American Red Cross provide refresher activities, games, etc., free of cost to keep your skills sharp.
Where to Renew the Certificate?
There are many options available to renew your certificate. You can renew them at your workplace, if they offer such additional courses or you can choose any institute and any mode (offline/ online) of your choice. These courses are also offered by local fire departments, hospitals, and other such organizations.
Note: You must note that some institutes do not consider the CPR certificates provided by the other institutes valid. You must be very careful in choosing the right institute.
What if the CPR Certificate has expired?
If it has been more than 30 days since your CPR certificate is expired, then in this case, you will have to take the whole training again.
How to Get Replacement Certificate if the Original CPR Certificate has been lost?
If you have lost the original CPR certificate, you can request a replacement certificate from the institute where you did your training. You might be asked to submit the identification documents. Along with this, you will have to pay the cost of the replacement certificate via preferred payment method.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!