EMT Certification in Louisiana
In order to obtain EMT certification in Louisiana, the candidate is required to give the National Registry of Emergency Medical Services (NREMT) exam. The NREMT certification in Louisiana lasts for a period of two years. After completing EMT training from a well-reputed and state-approved college or institute, the candidate becomes eligible for applying for certification. However, he/she also has to fulfil other pre-requisites, as well.
Requirements to Get EMT Certificate
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
- EMT candidates in Louisiana should not be less than 18 years of age.
- A state-approved EMT training program should be completed by the candidate.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is a must.
- He/she should have passed a NREMT examination.
- The candidate must provide a proof of his/her citizenship in the United States.
- It is significant for the aspirant to possess good stamina and strong mental fitness to cope up with the hardships in the job.
- He/she must be able to communicate well in English.
- A criminal background check is compulsory for the candidate in Louisiana.
- The prospective candidate is required to submit an application, as well as the applicable fee for EMT certificate.
- A state-approved practical test should be passed by the applicant.
Process of EMT Certification
Step 1: Training
Louisiana candidates must complete EMT training successfully from state-approved training schools. Contact to your local EMS department for more information on EMT training colleges in Louisiana.
Step 2: Application for National Certification
- The candidate must create his/her account on NREMT website by clicking on the option of “Create New Account”.
- Secondly, the candidate needs to create a new application on the website by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Though, the candidate can pay the application fee later, but is advised to make the fee payment soon after he/she finishes the process of online application.
- The candidate can keep an eye on the progress of the application by clicking on “Check Initial Entry Application Status”. Use your username and password to log in the NREMT website, and regularly check for “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter.
- If “Submitted” appears next to “Course Completion Verification”, the NREMT site has provided the aspirant’s application details, and it is waiting for approval from the education program director about the course completion.
- If “Not Submitted” appears beside “Application Payment”, it means that the candidate is needed to pay the application fee before acquiring the ATT Letter.
- If the course completion process has been properly confirmed by the education program director, and the candidate has paid the application fee, the link “Print ATT Letter” will get displayed.
- The candidate may now print the ATT Letter and decide a schedule of his/her NREMT examination. The directions of scheduling the timetable for the respective examination will be given in the ATT Letter.
State-approved training programs conduct the NREMT practical examinations.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
Step 3: Background Check
The candidate is required to go through a criminal background check in order to finish the process of certification. For more information, the candidate can contact his/her course coordinator.
Step 4: Apply for License
The candidate is needed to fill the application form and must include the following documents with it:
- A copy of a valid driving license.
- A Xerox of current National Registry card.
- Application fee must be paid through money order drawn on the name of Bureau of EMS. However, the personal checks will not be accepted.
Following is the fee structure for different levels of certification:
- EMT-Basic (Public) – $15
- EMT-Basic – $30
- EMT-Intermediate – $40
- EMT-Paramedic – $50
The fully filled application must be send to the following address via mail:
Bureau of EMS
7173 Florida Boulevard, Suite- A,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana- 70806
Renewal of EMT Certificate
If the candidate in Louisiana wants to renew his/her EMT certificate, following are the general requirements that should be fulfilled:
- The candidate must be working in an emergency medical service, rescue team or with a health-care facility.
- The cognitive skills of the candidate must be proved either by giving an examination or through Continuing Education (CE).
- ‘Skills Verification Competency’ must be maintained and confirmed by the Training Officer or Supervisor.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is also mandatory.
EMR-Emergency Medical Responder
- Emergency medical responders are bound to submit their completed renewal application by September 30 of the year when their certification expires.
- They should complete a 12-hour refresher course from a state-approved institute.
- EMR candidates in Louisiana must pay $10 (non-refundable) as the application fee while providing their recertification documents.
- EMT-B candidates should provide their application for renewal before March 31.
- The candidates must complete a state-approved 24-hour refresher course as well as further training of 48 hours.
- A non-refundable application fee of $15 must be paid by the candidate along with the paperwork, necessary for recertification.
- The candidate should submit his/her application for the renewal before the expiry date of certification.
- A total 72-hour of education is compulsory for the candidate to complete, which includes 36 hours of a refresher course and a 36-hour of added training.
- A non-refundable fee of $15 should be made by the candidate.
- The candidate is required to submit the renewal application before the certificate gets expired.
- The candidate must finish a state-approved refresher course of 48 hours.
- Apart from this, paramedic candidates in Louisiana are also required to complete a 24-hour additional training.
- The recertification application fee for paramedic candidates is $20, which should be paid at the time of providing the documents.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!