EMT Exams in Alabama
EMTs are those medical technicians, who are skilled at providing care in emergency situations, like traumatic injuries, accidents or any other medical conditions. For the sake of passing EMT exams in Alabama, candidates must undergo training, which helps them to hone their skills. It is very essential for a candidate to qualify both- cognitive and psychomotor exams as failing to clear the exams would not make him/her eligible to practice as a qualified EMT.
EMT exams are conducted by NREMT (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician), which is a not-for-profit certification agency that conducts examination pertaining to EMT in USA.
Components of EMT exams in Alabama
The cognitive exam, held by NREMT, is a computer adaptive test (CAT). The number of questions that a candidate can expect ranges from 70 to 120. The maximum time allotted to every candidate to complete the exam is 2 hours . The exam covers various spectrums, like airway, ventilation, trauma, medical, EMS operations, cardiology, and oxygenation. In order to pass the examination, one must compete to attain the minimum standards, set to qualify the examination. You also need to provide a safe and effective entry-level emergency medical care.
In order to pass psychomotor examinations, one must demonstrate the skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Patient assessment
- Cardiac arrest management
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation
- Spinal immobilization
- Long bone fracture immobilization
- Joint dislocation immobilization
- Traction splinting
- Bleeding control/shock management
- Upper airway adjuncts
- Mouth-to-mouth ventilation
- Supplemental oxygen application to a breathing patient
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
If the candidate is found eligible to take up EMT exams in Alabama, then he/she is sent an eligibility postcard mentioning the steps to register and schedule the examinations. The postcard also includes the instructions as how to pay the fees.
The rules that a candidate must follow prior to taking up the exams are as follows:
- A candidate must pass the written examination within the 6 months of being approved as the eligible candidate.
- If a candidate fails to pass the examination, he/she can pass the exams with 2 more attempts within the authorization period of 6 months.
While filling the exam form, you must make sure that the information provided by you is complete, accurate and signed.
Internet Registration and Scheduling
Registering yourself via the internet is the easiest and fastest method. Candidates, who are registering themselves via the internet, must have a valid MASTER/Visa card to validate their registration process. Internet registration is open 24 hours a day. Candidates can register themselves through psiexams.com. For the sake of registering over the internet, one needs to follow the below given steps:
- You need to log in to PSI’s website and select the link associated with Alabama examination. Complete the registration, and move forward as per the directions.
- As you fill up the online registration form, you will be given the dates of the exam to choose from. You can choose from the given dates and the locations available for those dates.
Telephonic Registration and Scheduling
The second fastest method to file your name for taking up exams is telephone. You can even register yourself during the non-business hours through IVR (Interactive Voice Response). For the registration over the telephone, you need to have a valid Visa or Master card.
Complete the registration form over the telephone entering your credit card number and its expiration date.
Fax Registration and Scheduling
For fax registration, you are required to have a valid Master/VISA card, and you need to complete the registration form by filling your credit card details. The number for fax registration is (334) 206-5260, and fax registrations are opened 24 hours a day. If any rectification is required in your form, it will be returned to you.
Rescheduling the Exam
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
One can cancel his/her plan to take up the exam on the current date and can reschedule it for future. However, one should notify 2 days prior to scheduled examination date in such case. One can cancel over the telephone or even reschedule by using the automated telephone service.
If a person wishes to reschedule his appointment, he/she can reschedule it, but, not on the same day, but the very next day. For the sake of registering yourself, you need to go through the registration steps all again in order to complete the re-registration.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
If you miss appearing for the exam or cancel your scheduled exam without prior information, then you will not be able to get a fee refund. Moreover, your registration will also be cancelled.
Take care of the following points before you head for the cancellation:
- Do not cancel your exam if less than 2 days are left for your test to take place.
- You will be deprived of fee refund and registration will be cancelled in the following cases:
- If the exam has already been commenced and you appear late.
- If you do not present the valid identification at the examination center.
Reporting to the Examination Center
On the day of examination, it is advisable that you should reach 30 minutes prior to the scheduled time to verify your identity and do other formalities. If you arrive late at the examination center, you might not be allowed to appear for the exam, and you are likely to lose money that you gave for the registration and exam.
A candidate is required to carry the following identification proofs at the examination center.
- All candidates should carry two valid and authorized ID cards issued by the government, which may include driving licence, state id, passport, etc. All these cards should have their photograph with a signature.
- Candidates appearing for EMT intermediate and paramedic should also bring their current EMT certification card in order to appear for the test and prove eligibility.
Post examinations, NREMT will provide you with feedback. In case, you are unsuccessful in clearing the exams, you can reapply for the examination only after 15 days. Candidates are allowed to pass the exams in maximum 6 attempts. After 3 attempts, candidate is required to present the official documents verifying the completion of 24 hours of remedial training. Post that, candidate is given three more attempts to clear the examinations. However, candidates, who fail to clear examinations even after 6 consecutive attempts are required to repeat the entire EMT course.
For the sake of appearing for re-examination, it is not possible for a candidate to take an appointment on the same day. For example, if a candidate fails in an exam on Wednesday, then he/she can reschedule it on Thursday or even on Friday, depending upon seat availability at the exam center.
Tips for Preparing for Exams
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
- Always prepare in a planned manner as it is likely to enhance your chances of passing the examinations.
- Always read the good study material and cover all the topics and information provided in it.
- Jot down notes of what you are studying. Jotting down notes on a notepad will help you memorize faster and more efficiently.
- Always read the questions carefully and determine what exactly is being asked.
- Look for the present signs of criticality in the question, which will help you in solving the question.
- Pay more heed to respiration and airways as NREMT is most likely to put up questions on these topics.
- Study in depth all the topics and areas where you think you are weak and which can lessen your chances of clearing the examination.
- Don’t assume things on your own, which are not being asked and provided in the question.