EMT Exams in Connecticut
Emergency Medical Technicians are people, who are nimble-fingered in providing the first aid in various situations of casualties- be it an accident, trauma, or any other kind of emergency medical condition. In order to become an eligible EMT, a person is required to succeed in the exams and obtain a national certificate.
EMT exams in Connecticut are conducted by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT).
Components of EMT Exams
Cognitive exams aim to test the skills and competency of the candidates in the following areas:
- Respiration, airway, and ventilation
- Resuscitation and cardiology
- Trauma, gynecology, and medical obstetrics
- EMS operations
Cognitive exam is an algorithm based exam, which is taken through computers, and 2 hours are allotted to you to complete 70-120 questions. The candidates are supposed to reach the minimum level of competency in order to pass the exam successfully. However, there are some topics (such as Neonatology, pediatrics, geriatrics, specially challenged patients, abuse and assault) that need to be focused more.
Psychomotor exams conducted by the NREMT aims to test your knowledge and skills in various areas of competency, like trauma patient assessment and management, traction splinting, cardiac arrest management, bag-valve-mask management of an apneic patient, immobilization of spine, joint dislocation immobilization, bleeding control/shock management, administering supplemental oxygen to the breathing patient.
Registering and Scheduling Your Exam
In order to appear for the EMT exams in Connecticut, you need to get yourself verified as eligible by contacting the certification office in your state. As your state finds you to be eligible enough to appear for the exam, authorities will notify you through a postcard verifying your eligibility. Post that, you can choose through which medium you want to get registered and choose from the available dates and locations. It is mandatory for all the candidates registering and scheduling their exams to clear up all the exams within the period of 6 months.
Internet Registration and Scheduling
The internet is the world’s fastest technology till the date, and no exception is there when it comes to register for EMT exams. Internet registration is the fastest and convenient method of registration. For registering over the internet, you need to have a valid credit card, and also need to submit your credit card number and its expiration date. Once you get registered via the internet, you will be given the list of available dates and locations to opt from.
Telephone Registration and Scheduling
Telephone registration is another fastest method to get registered for EMT exams in Connecticut. For this registration as well, you need to have a valid credit card and tell them its expiration date. You can even get registered during non-business hours through Interactive Voice Response System (IVR).
Fax Registration and Scheduling
This is yet another method to get yourself registered for EMT exams in the state of Connecticut. You need to fulfill the same requirements as in the case of internet and telephone registration. If the information provided by you in the registration form is incorrect, your form will be sent back to you for rectifications.
Registration and Scheduling through Standard Mail
There are many people, who do not want to disclose their personal credit card information to anyone. Thus, they can opt for this method of registration as it doesn’t require them to reveal their personal information. To register through this method, you need to pay your fees through banker’s check or money order.
Cancellation of the Exam and Rescheduling Procedure
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
If a candidate doesn’t wish to take up exam on the scheduled date and time, he/she needs to inform at least two days prior to the scheduled date, otherwise; no fee will be refunded and registration will also get cancelled. Suppose you have an exam scheduled on Saturday, then you need to inform about its cancellation at least by Thursday.
A candidate may also reschedule the exam, but not on the same day, only the following day or the day after the exam. It is due to reporting and scoring. For example, if you appeared for the test on Tuesday, then you can reschedule it on Wednesday or even on Thursday, depending upon the availability of the seat.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
All the candidates are requested to be on time and avoid last minute complications. However, in the following cases, a candidate is not allowed to sit in the exams and moreover, his/her fee will also not be refunded.
- If a candidate doesn’t appear at all for the scheduled examination and doesn’t even inform.
- If a candidate arrives late at the examination center after the exam has already commenced.
- If you arrive at the exam center on time, but fail to provide a valid ID proof.
Reporting to the Exam Site
All the candidates should reach at least 30 minutes before the scheduled exam time in order to complete the sign-in process and get acquainted with the process of the exam. Candidates arriving later than the scheduled time will not be allowed to sit in the test and their registration might get cancelled. After sitting at their respective seats, all the candidates have to sign the bond of confidentiality which states that they will not share any kind of exam related information to any other student during the exam. This will not be counted as the official exam timing.
A few things are absolutely banned at the exam center. They are as follows:
- All types of electronic devices, like cell phones, iPads, iPods, camera, recorders, etc.
- Handbags, backpacks, briefcases, portfolio, etc.
- Any kind of reference material
- Any kind of weapon
- Food and beverages, including tobacco and related stuff
- Colored pens or ball point pens
- Dictionary or thesaurus
- Watches and alarms
All the candidates appearing for the EMT exams in Connecticut will have to score minimum 80 percent marks in order to crack the exam. Before the results are announced officially, grades are analyzed statistically in order to ensure accuracy of the results.
Results of all the students are released on the website, which is password generated. It means that no other student can view your result, and in order to view your result, you need to enter your social security number and DOB. If a student fails the examination, he/she will be notified by the NREMT.
If you wish to have a hard copy of your result, you can take the print out from the website itself as it will not be sent via mail, told over the telephone, and also won’t be given personally.
All the candidates, who get failed in successfully clearing the EMT exams, may re-apply after 15 days of the result announcement. A failing candidate is given 6 attempts to clear up the test. After three unsuccessful attempts, the candidate is supposed to present an official document that states the completion of 24 hours of your remedial program. Post that, you can appear for 3 additional attempts of the exam. If a candidate remains unsuccessful in clearing exams even after 6 unsuccessful attempts, he/she needs to complete the whole program program again.
When your result is out, you can view it by following the below given steps:
- Log into the website and choose “grade report” from the various available options.
- Next step is to choose a profession from the options that follow.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your DOB and social security number.
- Now, click on ‘Exam Results’.
- A screen will come up telling you whether you have passed or failed the exams.
Tips for Preparing for EMT Exams
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
- While writing your exam, make sure that you answer only what is being asked of you and do not answer unnecessarily for things, which are not being asked.
- It is best to pen down things as you study the topics. It will assist you memorize better and faster.
- Look in detail for the criticality of questions.
- Study all the available study materials and try to gather information from all the available sources.
- It is common to have anxiety pangs while writing your exams. Stay calm and composed, and have control over the pangs to nail the exam.
- Any breaks that you avail voluntarily will be deducted from your allotted time. So, take as few breaks as you can.
- Many online sites have virtual EMT test papers. You can pick any of them and start solving them.
- Assess your score and pay more attention to those topics, in which, you scored lesser marks.
- The NREMT is more likely to put up questions on topics, such as respiration and airways. Study these topics in detail to score well in your exams.