EMT Exams in Louisiana
After the candidate has completed an EMT course or training from a state-approved training center, he/she becomes eligible to appear in the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) examination. NREMT is a not-for-profit body, which provides certification to the EMT candidates.
EMT exams in Louisiana are divided into two sections – cognitive and psychomotor exams. In order to get certification for practicing as an Emergency Medical Technician in Louisiana, it is imperative for the candidate to pass both the sections of the examination.
Components of EMT Exams
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
The cognitive exam comprises of 70-120 questions that are required to be answered by the candidate in a time of 2 hours. It is basically a computer based test, in which, questions are asked about trauma, ventilation, EMS operations, cardiology, airway, medical, and oxygenation.
The psychomotor exam comprises of 12 different skills in a scenario-type format, which tests the practical abilities of the EMT candidate in handling the out-of-hospital situations. This test includes the following topics:
- Cardiac Management Skills
- Patient Assessment-Trauma
- IV and Medication Skills
- Pediatric Skills
- Ventilatory Management
- Random Basic Skills
- Intravenous Therapy (Paramedic)
- Oxygen Administration
- Dynamic Cardiology (Paramedic)
- Bleeding & Shock Management (Basic and Paramedic)
- Alternative Airway Device (Paramedic)
- Joint, Spinal and Long Bone Immobilization (Basic and Paramedic)
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
If the candidate has duly fulfilled all the exam eligibility requirements, he/she will receive an eligibility postcard. It will contain the instructions about the fee payment, registration and scheduling of the examination. Candidates should keep in mind the following:
- EMT candidates must pass the cognitive (written) examination within 6 months of getting authorized to appear for the exam.
- If, in case, the candidate fails to pass the examination, he/she can clear it in 2 more attempts, but within the authorization period of 6 months.
You need to pay for the exam while you register. You must ensure that your registration form is complete, correctly filled and signed, along with the proper amount of the fee.
Internet Registration & Scheduling
It is recommended that the candidates should register for their examination via the internet as it is the fastest method. Using the internet, candidates just need to access the PSI website– www.psiexams.com. They can register online any time as the services are accessible 24 hours a day. In order to register over the internet, candidates need to possess a valid VISA or MasterCard. The following steps must be completed in order to do the online registration:
- Log into the website of the PSI, and then click on the link of Louisiana’s examination. Complete the registration form and submit it through the internet.
- Once you complete the registration process, you will receive information about the available dates and examination centers, for which, you can schedule your exam. You need to select the date and examination center as per your choice and requirements.
Telephone Registration & Scheduling
If, however, you are unable to register through the internet, you can opt for telephone registration. You can register through telephone during business hours, as well as non-business hours. During business hours, registration can be done through live registrars, while in non-business hours; it can be done via Interactive Voice Response System (IVR). You must possess a valid MasterCard or VISA as you will be required to provide your credit card number, as well as the expiry date, for registration. So, be ready with all your details while doing telephone registration.
Fax Registration & Scheduling
A valid MasterCard or VISA is a must in order to do the fax registration. Fill the registration form, which must include the credit card number, as well as the expiry date. Fax registration service is available twenty-four hours a day. If the details provided by you are inaccurate or incomplete, you will get the form back for rectification.
Rescheduling the Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
Candidates cannot reschedule their examination or make a new appointment on the same day of giving the exam as it takes time in processing. For example, if a candidate fails to clear the exam on Monday, he/she can only call the next day, i.e. Tuesday, and take re-examination on Wednesday. The candidate can reschedule for a re-examination via internet, telephone or mail, by following the same steps that were provided earlier.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
Along with the forfeiture of the fee, your registration will be considered as invalid in the following circumstances:
- You don’t appear for the appointment.
- If you suddenly cancel your exam appointment without intimating two days before the scheduled test.
- If you arrive late for the examination, after it has started.
- If you are unable to provide your valid identification proof at the examination center.
Reporting to the Examination Center
In order to properly sign-in and identification verification, it is advisable for the students to reach the test center at least 30 minutes before the scheduled time. It also provides time to the candidate to get acquainted with the examination process.
Important Note: If the candidate arrives late for the examination, he/she will not be permitted to give the examination, as well as also lose the examination fee.
The following identification proofs must be provided by the candidates:
- You must have 2 valid identification proofs. You can show any ID, which is issued by the government, like a state ID, driving license, military ID or a passport. Ensure that it has your photograph and signature. The second identification proof must have your signature along with a pre-printed legal name. The name on all the ID proofs should match that on your exam registration form.
- EMT-Intermediate and Paramedic candidates must provide their current EMT certification card at the examination center. They can also provide their reinstatement letter (issued by OEMS), in case, they don’t possess a current certification card.
The candidate will receive a feedback about his/her examination from the NREMT. This feedback report will reveal whether he/she has passed or failed the exam.
The EMT student gets six chances to qualify the test, but all the pre-requisites should be met properly. After three attempts, it’s imperative to submit official documents verifying the completion of remedial training of 24 hours. Only after submitting the documents, the candidates are given 3 more opportunities. If they fail in all the six attempts, they need to take the entire EMT training again.
Tips for Preparing For EMT Exams
- Study regularly while you are pursuing the training. Don’t leave everything to study for the last minute.
- A number of study guides for preparing for the exams are available. Pick the best ones and go through them regularly.
- Read and understand the question before marking your answer, but don’t over-read or assume it to be different altogether.
- Buy sample papers and keep practicing from it. This will help you to get an idea about the format of the actual examination. You can also practice online.
- Try learning practical skills from professional EMTs.
- Always keep a calm and positive attitude when you go to give the examination.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!