EMT Exams in Michigan
If you want to appear for EMT exams in Michigan, you first need to complete training from a state-approved training college or institute. EMT exams are conducted by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT), which is a non-profit agency that certifies ambulance technicians of the state so that they can practice their profession.
The Emergency Medical Technician exam is divided into 2 sections- cognitive and psychomotor. In order to get certified by the NREMT, the candidate has to successfully clear both the sections of the examination.
Components of the EMT Exams
Cognitive exams consist of 70-120 questions on topics, including EMS Operations, Oxygenation, Cardiology, Medical Operations, Airway, Trauma and Ventilation. The candidates are provided a limited duration of 2 hours to complete the test.
This is a practical exam, which tests the candidate’s responsiveness and presence of mind while handling different medical emergencies. The following subjects are included in the exam:
- Pediatric Skills
- Patient Assessment- Trauma
- Cardiac Management Skills
- Oral Station
- IV and Medication Skills
- Random Basic Skills
- Ventilatory Management
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
If the aspirant is eligible to appear for the examination, he/she will receive an eligibility postcard from the PSI, which will contain the guidelines regarding the exam registration and scheduling, as well as for the payment of the fees.
- The candidate is required to pass the examination within the authorization period of six months.
- The candidate will be given 2 more attempts to clear the examination if he/she fails to clear it within the authorization period.
The candidate must ensure that the registration form is correctly filled and signed, along with the appropriate amount of fees. The fee should be paid while doing the registration.
Internet Registration and Scheduling
The internet is the fastest mode through which, you can register and schedule for your examination. You just need to provide the necessary details of your MasterCard or VISA. Internet registration can be done through the PSI’s website – www.psiexams.com . It can be done for twenty-four hours a day. The following steps will guide you how doing the online registration:
- Sign into the PSI’s website, and choose the link related to the Michigan examinations. Now, fill the online form and submit your details.
- After completing the registration, you will get dates and examination centers, which are available. You can choose the date and location as per your choice.
Telephone Registration and Scheduling
The second available method for registering and scheduling is via telephone. Telephone registration can be done either through live registrars (during business hours) or the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response System (during the non-business hours). In order to do telephone registration, you need to possess a valid VISA or MasterCard.
Fill your credit card number, as well as the expiry date in your registration form, and keep it ready before you register on the telephone.
Fax Registration and Scheduling
You must possess a valid VISA or MasterCard in order to do the fax registration. Fill the registration form and enter your credit card number along with the expiry date.
- Fax the duly filled form to the PSI. You can avail this facility 24 hours a day.
- Your registration form will be sent back to you if the information given by you is incomplete or inaccurate.
Standard Mail Registration and Scheduling
Standard mail registration is appropriate for those candidates, who do not desire to disclose their credit card details on the phone or the internet. It allows the candidate to pay the registration fee via cashier’s check or money order. If you want to register using the standard mail, follow the below given steps:
- Fill up the registration form and deposit it to the PSI, along with the proper amount of the fee.
- You can pay the fee either through money order or cashier’s check, drawn on the name of the PSI. Confirm that your name is printed on the money order or check in order to ensure that the fee is properly allotted.
Important Note: Company checks, personal checks, as well as cash will not be accepted.
Rescheduling the Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
You cannot re-register for the exam on the same day on which, you gave the last examination. This is not possible due to scoring and processing reasons. For example, if you sit for a test on Tuesday and want to re-appear for it again, you can re-schedule it on Wednesday, and give the exam on Thursday. You can make use of the fax, phone, mail or the internet for doing the registration. The steps of registration and scheduling will remain the same as earlier.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
You won’t be able to sit for the test and lose your registration fee as your registration will be considered as invalid due to the following reasons:
- If you do not show up for the exam appointment, or
- If you do not cancel the appointment 2 days prior to the test date, or
- If you do not provide the identification proof when you reach the examination site.
- If you reach the center after the examination time has started.
Reporting to the Examination Site
You need to reach the center 30 minutes before the scheduled examination time in order to get familiar with the whole process of the exam. This will also give you time for signing in and identification verification.
Important Note: If you reach late for the examination, you will not be granted permission to enter the examination center, and you will also lose your registration fee.
The following ID proofs are required to be presented at the examination center:
- You must furnish a valid government issued ID proof, which must contain your signature along with a photograph. It can be a passport, state ID, military ID, or driving license.
- You also need to provide identification proof, which must contain your pre-printed legal name, as well as the signature.
- Paramedic and Intermediate candidates will have to provide their current certification card at the examination center. If they don’t possess their certification cards, they can also give their reinstatement letter issued by the OEMS (Office of Emergency Medical Services).
Important Note: Make sure that your name on all the ID proofs matches the name on your exam registration form.
Keep the following things in mind:
- You cannot go into the exam hall with any type of electronic devices, such as calculators, cell phones, pagers, etc.
- You cannot bring along backpacks, notebooks, or children. You can bring small wallets, but not the big ones.
- Smoking, drinking and eating are not allowed at the examination center.
- Once entering the examination hall, you can only leave after taking permission from the proctor. You can only leave the exam hall if you want to use the restroom.
- If you are caught cheating during the test, or if the examiner catches you with any type of unauthorized material, like notes, you will be ordered to leave the examination site immediately.
- Copying during the examination or sharing of the answers is termed as the breach of the exam regulations. Therefore, it may lead to the legal action or cancellation of the exam results.
The NREMT will send you your performance feedback stating whether you have passed or failed the examination. However, if you fail to clear the examination, you can apply for re-examination after 15 days of your last exam.
Each candidate will be provided with 6 attempts to clear the test. After the first 3 attempts, the candidate has to provide official documents, which prove that he/she has completed a 24-hour remedial training. The candidate will be provided with 3 more opportunities to pass the examination. If any candidate fails to clear the examination in all the 6 attempts, he/she will require going through the entire EMT training again.
Tips for Preparing for the EMT Exams
- The market is flooded with a lot of study guides. Choose the best ones and study from them.
- Create your own flash cards for each topic. This will help you to learn the facts in a much better way.
- Practice more. Keep practicing the online tests in order to get an idea of the main examination.
- Write down notes for topics, which seem tough, and memorize them every morning as you wake up, and every night before going to bed.
- Get enough sleep the night before you appear for the exam.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!