EMT Exams in Minnesota
EMT exams in Minnesota are conducted by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT), which is a not-for-profit organization that certifies the candidates to render emergency medical care. In order to become eligible for showing up for the EMT exams, the students must first pursue training from the state-approved center.
The NREMT exams consist of cognitive and psychomotor tests, which must be passed by the candidate in order to get the certification.
Components of the EMT Exams
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
Being a computer adaptive test (CAT), the cognitive exam uses computer technology to test the candidate’s knowledge in various subjects, like airway, trauma, oxygenation, ventilation, cardiology, EMS and medical operations, etc. The aspirant is required to answer around 70-120 questions in a duration of 2 hours.
The psychomotor exams in Minnesota examine the candidate’s practical skills in handling the trauma situations. The following subjects are included in the exam:
- Cardiac Management Skills
- Oral Station
- Pediatric Skills
- IV and Medication Skills
- Patient Assessment – Trauma
- Random Basic Skills
- Ventilatory Management
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
After you have been approved of your eligibility to give the examination, the PSI will send you an eligibility postcard that will contain instructions on how to do the registration, scheduling and payment of the fee for the examination. Remember, you will have to qualify the examination within the period of six months of authorization.
The candidate must pay the fee while doing the registration for the exam. Also, the registration form should be duly-filled and completed along with the proper amount of the fee attached to it.
Internet Registration and Scheduling
The fastest medium of communication, i.e. the internet, is also used to register and schedule for the EMT examination. Candidates can register online by using the PSI’s website- www.psiexams.com. They need to hold a valid VISA or MasterCard for the online registration. The service of online registration is available 24 hours a day. Read the steps given below in order to do registration through this medium:
- Sign into the website of the PSI, and choose the link related to the Minnesota examination. Fill the registration form and submit it to the website.
- As soon as you complete the online registration form, you will be provided with the available dates and centers for the examination. Schedule your test by selecting the date and center of your choice.
Telephone Registration and Scheduling
The second way of scheduling for the examination is through the telephone. Through this medium, the registration can be done in non-business hours via Interactive Voice Response system (IVR), and via live registrars in business hours. The candidates are expected to own a valid VISA or MasterCard, and provide the details, like the number and expiry date of your credit card, in order to do the telephonic registration.
Fax Registration and Scheduling
For fax registration also, the applicants will need to possess a valid VISA or MasterCard. Fill the registration form by including your credit card details and its expiry date. Send the completed form via fax. If the details given by you are found to be inaccurate or incomplete, you will receive it back for corrections.
Registration and Scheduling through Standard Mail
It is good for those candidates, who don’t want to expose their credit card details via phone or internet, as this method gives the facility to pay the fees through the money order or cashier’s check.
- Fill the registration form and submit it along with the fee to the PSI.
- Give the fee either through money order or cashier’s check payable to the PSI.
- Your name should be printed on the money order or cashier’s check so as to ensure that the fee is properly allotted.
Note- If you make the payment through cash, personal checks or company checks, it will get rejected.
Rescheduling the Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
Due to the processing and scoring procedures, you cannot apply for a re-examination the same day on which you have given the exam. Usually, the candidates can apply after at least a gap of one day after their last exam. Re-registration can be done through internet, phone, standard mail or fax.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
The registration will be termed as invalid; the student will not be able to appear for the examination at the scheduled date, and it will also lead to the forfeiture of his/her fee in the following cases:
- If the candidate reaches late at the examination site after the test begins.
- If the applicant doesn’t provide appropriate identification proof at the examination center.
- If the student fails to cancel his/her appointment 2 days prior the scheduled exam.
- If the aspirant does not appear for taking up the test.
Reporting to the Examination Site
The applicant must reach the exam center 30 minutes before the given time on the day of the test. It will give the candidate time to sign-in and get acquainted with the examination process, while also providing time for identification verification.
Important Note- If the candidate reaches late at the examination center, he/she will not be allowed to enter the exam hall, and will also lose the exam registration fee.
The candidate must bring the following ID proofs:
- A valid government-issued ID proof (passport, driving license, state ID or military ID) containing your signature, as well as photograph.
- Another ID proof, which must bear your signature, as well as your pre-printed legal name.
- Intermediate and Paramedic students need to submit a current certification card. If you don’t have it, you need to provide a reinstatement letter issued by the OEMS (Office of Emergency Medical Services).
The candidate should keep the following things in mind:
- The candidate is not allowed to bring any kind of electronic devices, like cell phones, calculators, pagers, etc. at the examination center.
- Backpacks, books, large purses, etc. are also not allowed. Candidates can also not bring along children with them.
- Eating, smoking and drinking are strictly prohibited in the examination hall.
- Once the test begins, you will not be allowed to leave the examination site without the permission of the proctor. (You can only go to the restroom, that too with the proctor’s permission).
- If you are caught providing or taking any type of assistance from anyone during the exam, you will be immediately asked to leave the examination center.
- Copying of test content will be considered as the breach of the examination regulations, and it may lead to the termination of the exam results or even legal action.
The candidate will get to know the results of the examination through a performance feedback, which will be sent by the NREMT. However, the aspirants are allowed to apply for a re-exam after fifteen days of the last examination.
You will be provided with 6 chances to clear the exam, but you must fulfil all the prerequisites required for the national EMS certification. After appearing in 3 attempts, the candidate must provide official documents that prove his/her completion of remedial training (of 24 hours). Then, the candidate is provided with 3 more chances to clear the test. If the applicant fails to clear the examination in all the 6 attempts, he/she will need to take the entire EMT course again.
Tips for Preparing for the EMT Exams
- Purchase a good EMT guide and study from it.
- Practice regularly. Use different sample papers in order to enhance your exam knowledge while also keeping a check on how much time you spend in completing the practice tests.
- Know your weaknesses. Study those topics more, which you are finding difficult to memorize or learn.
- Understand what the question is asking. The questions, which are scenario-based, need more reading. Picture the whole scenario in your mind, and then answer it.
- The candidate should keep a positive outlook on the day of the examination.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!