EMT Exams in New York
Obtaining an Emergency Medical Technician certificate in the state of New York requires a candidate to successfully pass the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) examination. A candidate must display his/her competence level in various emergency care skills.
The EMT exams in New York are based on a curriculum designed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). All the states in the United States of America accept this exam. Each state conducts its own examination based on the same syllabus of the NREMT.
Components of Exam
During cognitive exams, within two hours of time, you are expected to complete 70-120 multiple-choice questions, which include the following areas:
- Medical & Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Respiration and Ventilation
- EMS Operations
- Cardiology & Resuscitation
Psychomotor exam evaluates the candidate’s skills in providing the effective and secure entry level emergency medical care. In this exam, the students are supposed to display skills in the following areas:
- Shock Management
- Oxygen Administration
- Long Bone Immobilization
- Joint Immobilization
- Trauma Assessment
- Spinal Immobilization Supine
- Spinal Immobilization Seated
- BVM Ventilation
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation of an apneic patient
- Patient assessment/management of a trauma patient
- Traction Splinting
- Medical Assessment
- Cardiac Arrest AED
- Upper Airway Adjuncts and Suction
- Bleeding Control
- Patient Assessment and Management
- Oxygen Administration
The student has to clear state-approved psychomotor exam in order to become qualified for acquiring the certification.
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
The NREMT provides 4 ways to register for the exam. These are:
Registration and Scheduling via Internet
MasterCard or VISA is necessary to register through the internet.
- The student has to visit the PSI’s website, i.e. www.psiexams.com, to make an account on it.
- The applicant needs to fill the required information in the form.
- Before submitting the form online, you need to provide the number and expiry date of VISA or MasterCard to make the payment of the examination fee.
- The candidate will be asked to choose his/her institution from a list of institutions provided in the drop down box.
- After completing the online registration procedure, the candidate will be able to schedule for the exam by picking the desired date and location.
Registration and Scheduling via Telephone
In order to complete the registration through telephone, the applicant must have a valid MasterCard or VISA.
- During the business hours, the students can complete the registration through registrars.
- An applicant can register after business hours through Interactive Voice Response System (IVR).
- The candidate will be asked to tell his/her VISA or MasterCard’s number to make the payment.
- Next, the applicant can schedule for the exam by selecting the preferred date and location from the available ones.
Registration and Scheduling via Fax
The fax registration is accepted 24 hours a day. To register through fax, the candidate needs to possess a MasterCard or VISA.
- The student has to fill the registration form properly by furnishing all the necessary information.
- To make a payment, the candidate must enter his/her legitimate VISA or MasterCard number along with its expiration date.
- After completing the form, it should be faxed to the PSI.
- Remember, the form will be returned back to you for improvements, if any inaccurate information is found in it.
- When the submission of the form is done, the applicant will receive the list of next available exam dates and locations. Select the desired location and date to schedule the exam.
Note: Fax registration takes 4 business days to process.
Registration and Scheduling via Standard Mail
Candidates can also register via standard mail. This method is beneficial for those applicants, who don’t want to unveil their Master or VISA card information. To register through standard mail, the aspirant needs to follow a few steps, which are given below:
- The candidate requires filling up the registration form.
- He/she needs to print his/her name on the cashier’s check or money order to properly assign the fee.
- Deposit the registration form along with a money order or check to the PSI.
- After registration, you can schedule your test.
Note: Standard mail registration takes 4 business days to process.
Cancellation and Rescheduling of an Examination Appointment
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
If a candidate wishes to cancel an appointed exam, he/she can easily do that without the exam fee being forfeited. To cancel an appointed exam, a candidate has to inform the PSI 2 days before the scheduled date. After receiving the notification, the candidate’s fee will be refunded.
To reschedule the examination, the candidate can use telephone, mail, fax or the internet.
Late Cancellation or Missed Appointment
Your fees will be forfeited, you will not be allowed to sit in the test, and your registration will be regarded as unacceptable in the following circumstances:
- You don’t provide the identification documentation.
- The applicant misses the exam.
- The candidate arrives after the beginning of the exam.
- You don’t notify the PSI about the cancellation 2 days before the exam.
Reporting to the Examination Site
The candidate has to report to the examination site ½ an hour before the exam time. An applicant has to bring 2 identification forms. The first identification form must be issued by the government and may include the driver’s license, military ID, passport, or state ID. This identification form must have the full name, signature and photograph of the student.
The second ID form must comprise the pre-printed name and signature of the applicant.
EMT-Intermediate and Paramedic students will have to bring their current EMT certification card for verification. They can bring the reinstatement letter, in case; the current EMT certification is not available. The reinstatement letter is issued by the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS).
Exam Results and Retest Information
Exam results can be viewed after 24 hours of giving the test. An applicant can log-in to the NREMT’s password-secured website, and can see his/her result. If the candidate succeeds the test, the NREMT will send him/her the National Certification credentials.
If an applicant is unsuccessful in cracking the examination, he/she will receive a performance feedback sheet from the NREMT. By this performance sheet, the candidate can evaluate whether he/she has performed “average”, “below”, or “near” in the exam. Through this sheet, the aspirant will be able to know his/her weak areas and can work upon them to get success.
The student can re-apply for the test after 15 days of the last exam. He/she will get 6 chances to crack this exam. After 3 attempts, the applicant will have to submit the required identification documents and evidence of completion of 24 hours of remedial training. In the next 3 chances, the candidate will have to submit the other necessary documents for the national certification. If the candidate fails to qualify in all the six attempts, he/she will have to repeat the entire EMT education program.
Tips for Preparing for the Exams
- Read the study material provided to you along with the EMT textbooks.
- Preparing notes will help you in remembering the key points.
- Use workbooks for practice.
- Some topics, like respiration and airway, need to be studied in detail and thoroughly as most of the questions are put up from these topics.
- Take proper and good sleep.
- Have a protein rich meal before appearing for the exam.
- Read every question carefully. A candidate should spend 50-60 seconds on one question, and then move ahead to the next one.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!