EMT Exams in Pennsylvania
EMT exams in Pennsylvania aim at evaluating the candidate’s level of competency in the emergency medical care skills. To gain the EMT certification in Pennsylvania, an applicant has to clear the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exam, which is based on the curriculum designed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Each state in the United States conducts its own exam, which is based on the syllabus of the NREMT.
Components of the Exam
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
The cognitive test is a computer adaptive examination, which assesses the candidate’s ability in a wide range of emergency care skills. The applicant has to answer 70-120 multiple-choice questions in the given time frame of 2 hours. The questions will be put from various subject areas, like:
- Cardiology & Resuscitation
- EMS Operations
- Medical & Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Respiration and ventilation
Once answered, the student cannot change his/her answer by going back.
To get the EMT certificate, the applicant has to successfully pass the state-approved psychomotor exam. Psychomotor exam evaluates the candidate’s adroitness in delivering the entry level emergency care skills.
The student has to provide safe and sound emergency care during his/her EMT educational program. It’s the responsibility of the instructor to ensure that the applicant displays efficacious emergency care skills in the following:
- Spinal Immobilization Supine
- Oxygen Administration
- Spinal Immobilization Seated
- BVM Ventilation
- Joint Immobilization
- Patient Assessment and Management
- Upper airway adjuncts and suction
- Trauma Assessment
- Medical Assessment
- Long Bone Immobilization
- Patient management/assessment of a medical patient
- Shock Management
- Oxygen Administration
- Traction Splinting
- Patient management/assessment of a trauma patient
- Cardiac Arrest AED
- Bleeding Control
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation of an apneic patient
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
You can choose from any of the following four ways for registering yourself for the EMT exams.
Registering and Scheduling via Internet
To register through the internet, the candidate is anticipated to have a legitimated Visa or Master card.
- The applicant has to visit the PSI’s registration website (i.e. www.psiexams.com) to fill the registration form online.
- From the drop-down box, you can select your EMT institution.
- Fill the required information. Also enter the expiration date and number of your legitimated Visa or Master card.
- After filling the registration form correctly, submit it online.
- The candidate will be provided with the necessary information regarding the availability of the exam locations and dates. Select the preferred date and location to plan the exam.
Registering and Scheduling via Telephone
In order to complete the telephonic registration, you must have a valid Master or Visa card.
- The PSI’s registrars are available during the business hours in order to help you in registration.
- During the non-business hours, the candidate can use the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response System to complete the registration.
- Enter the required Visa or Master card number and expiry date to make the payment for the exam fee.
- Select from the available exam dates and locations to schedule the exam.
Registering and Scheduling via Fax
The fax registration procedure requires a Visa or a legitimated Master card.
- You must fill the registration form correctly and provide all the information accurately.
- Fill the required Visa or Master card number and expiry date to pay for the exam fee.
- After completing the registration form, you can fax it to the PSI.
- The PSI will return your registration form for amendments if the provided information is found incorrect.
- After the completion of the registration, an applicant can select from the next available dates and locations to schedule the exam.
Note: Registration through the fax takes 4 business days to get completed.
Registering and Scheduling via Standard Mail
If an applicant doesn’t want to share his/her Master or Visa card, he/she can use this service to complete the registration procedure.
- An applicant has to fill the registration form correctly.
- Make the payment by assigning a money order or cashier’s check to the PSI, with your signature on it.
- Mail the registration form and money order to the PSI.
- After the candidate is registered successfully, he/she can select from the available dates and test sites to schedule the exam.
Note: Standard mail registration takes 2 weeks to process. Payments through personal checks, cash and company checks are not at all acceptable.
Cancellation and Rescheduling of an Examination Appointment
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
If an applicant wishes to cancel the scheduled exam, he/she can call the PSI. The candidate has to inform two days prior the exam date, and if the PSI receives the notification of cancellation of the exam after the scheduled date, the exam fee of the aspirant will be forfeited.
In order to reschedule an exam, the candidate has to follow the same procedure as mentioned above. The candidate can also use the PSI’s automated system in order to cancel or reschedule the exam. This service is available 24 hours a day.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
An applicant’s appointed exam and registration will be cancelled, and the exam fee will not be repaid, if:
- The applicant arrives after the beginning of the exam, or
- The candidate doesn’t appear in the exam, or
- The student doesn’t provide the required identification documents, or
- The aspirant fails to notify about the cancellation of the exam to the PSI on time.
Reporting to the Examination Site
The candidate must arrive 30 minutes before the exam starts, in order to report to the examination site. He/she must compulsorily have 2 identification forms for the verification process. The first identification form may be a driver’s license, military ID, passport or state ID, issued by the government, and must have the aspirant’s signature, full name and photograph. The second ID must have the student’s signature and validly pre-printed name.
The EMT Intermediate and Paramedic students must bring their current EMT certification card. If the current EMT certification card is not available, then the reinstatement letter issued by the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) can also be presented.
Exam Results and Retest Information
The candidate can check his/her result after 24 hours of the last appeared exam. For viewing the result, you need to log-in to the NREMT’s website. If the student successfully passes the exam, he/she will be sent the national certification credentials from the NREMT.
If the student fails in passing the exam, he/she will get an information sheet from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. In this performance based sheet, the applicant’s performance will be described as “average”, “below” or “near”. Through this performance sheet, the candidate can know about his/her weaknesses in order to perform better in the next exams.
Retesting is possible only after fifteen days of the last exam. An applicant will obtain a maximum of 6 chances to pass this exam. After three chances, the student has to submit the required documents for the verification procedure. After 3 additional chances, the candidate has to provide the other needed documents for the national certification.
If an applicant fails in all the 6 attempts, he/she has to repeat the entire EMT course.
Tips for Preparing for the Exams
- You must read your EMT textbooks thoroughly.
- Don’t do the last minute study, this will only confuse you.
- Do study from your prepared notes and references.
- Focus on airway, respiration, and other topics, which you find difficult.
- Take the help of your instructors to understand the difficult topics.
- Don’t wake up the whole night for doing studies.
- Finish your syllabus 2 days before the exam, and take a good sleep the night before the examination.
- Keep your body active during the exam by having a protein-rich breakfast.
- Don’t panic in the exam, and keep your mind calm.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!