EMT Exams in Rhode Island
EMT exams in Rhode Island gauge an applicant’s level of proficiency in the medical care skills. In order to gain an EMT certification in Rhode Island, the student has to clear the exams, organized by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT). If you want to know in detail about these exams and the tricks to crack them, continue to read.
Components of the Exam
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
The cognitive exam is generally taken through the computers, but you need not to be skilled at handling computers. You will be instructed on the procedure of taking the tests in the examination hall. You will get only 2 hours to complete 70-120 questions, which are in the multiple-choice format. The applicant has to read all the questions carefully and answer them adroitly. Keep in mind that you cannot go back and change the answer, once it is done.
The candidate can expect the questions from the following areas:
- EMS Operations
- Medical & Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Cardiology & Resuscitation
- Respiration and Ventilation
Every state of the USA conducts its own psychomotor exam. The candidates are supposed to successfully pass this test in order to become qualified for obtaining the EMT certificate.
The applicant is required to prove his/her dexterity in the wide range of emergency medical care skills during his/her EMT curriculum. Some important areas include:
- Cardiac Arrest AED
- Bleeding Control
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation of an apneic patient
- Spinal Immobilization Supine
- Oxygen Administration
- Spinal Immobilization Seated
- BVM Ventilation
- Joint Immobilization
- Medical Assessment
- Long Bone Immobilization
- Patient management/assessment of a medical patient
- Shock Management
- Oxygen Administration
- Traction Splinting
- Patient management/assessment of a trauma patient
- Patient Assessment and Management
- Upper airway adjuncts and suction
- Trauma Assessment
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
Here are some ways for registering for the EMT exams.
Registering and Scheduling through the Internet
In order to register through the internet, the candidate must own a legal Master or Visa card.
- The candidate can go to the PSI’s registration website- www.psiexams.com, in order to get registered.
- Fill the registration form correctly.
- From the provided drop-down box, choose your institution.
- Provide required Master or Visa card number along with its expiration date. The examination fee will be deducted from your account.
- Submit the form online after filling it.
- Choose from the available exam dates and locations to schedule the exam.
Registering and Scheduling through Telephone
To register through the telephone, an applicant must have a valid Master or Visa card.
- During business hours, the candidate can register through the PSI’s registrars.
- During the non-business hours, the applicant can use the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) to complete the registration.
- In order to pay the fee, you will have to provide the requisite details of your Visa or Master card.
- Once you submit the form, you will receive information about the availability of dates and locations to schedule your test.
- The candidate can select any date and location to take the exam.
Registering and Scheduling through Fax
Fax registration requires a Master or Visa card, which has been issued legally.
- To complete the registration through fax, an applicant has to fill the registration form correctly.
- Provide the number and expiry date of your Visa or Master card.
- Fax this form to the PSI.
- If any inaccurate information is found, then the form will be returned to the candidate for amendments.
- After the completion of registration, an applicant can schedule the exam by selecting from the available dates and locations.
Note: It takes four business days in the processing of your registration form, send via fax.
Registration and Scheduling through Standard Mail
To complete the registration through standard mail, the candidate doesn’t need a Master or Visa card. In order to make the payment, the applicant can submit the money order or cashier’s check to the PSI.
- Fill the registration form accurately.
- Mail the registration form and money order/cashier’s check to the PSI.
- Once you are registered successfully, you can plan your test by picking the desired location and date.
Note: 1) Processing of registration via standard mail takes two weeks to complete.
2) Except cashier’s check and money order, the payment made in any other form (i.e. through personal check, cash and company check) is not acceptable.
Cancellation and Rescheduling of an Examination Appointment
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
To cancel an appointed exam and get a refund of the fee, it’s necessary to notify the PSI at least two days before the scheduled examination.
Rescheduling of the examination is possible via telephone, fax, internet, and standard mail. You can also use 24 hours available automated system of the PSI to cancel or reschedule an appointed exam.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
The candidate will be debarred from the examination, will not be entitled to get back the exam fee, as well as his/her registration will get cancelled in the following conditions:
- The applicant fails to show up for the exam, or
- The student reports after the exam starts, or
- The PSI is not informed about the cancellation 2 days before the scheduled examination, or
- The candidate fails in presenting the required documents.
Reporting to the Examination Site
The candidate must report to the examination site at least 30 minutes before the commencement of the exam. He/she must be able to provide the asked identification. The aspirant must bring 2 identification forms. One of them must have the candidate’s signature, photograph and name, and it should be issued by the government. You can bring your passport, state ID, driver’s license or military ID. The second identification form must have pre-printed name and signature of the student.
The Intermediate or Paramedic candidates must have their current Emergency Medical Technician certification card. If an applicant misplaces his/her current EMT certification, he/she can bring a reinstatement letter issued by the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS).
Exam Results and Retest Information
An applicant can check his/her exam result right after 24 hours of the last exam. For viewing the result, you have to log-in to the website of the NREMT. For qualifying the exam, you need to meet the prescribed benchmark. On passing the test, students receive the national certification credentials from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
The failed candidates obtain an information sheet from the NREMT, which will be based on their performance. On the basis of this information sheet, the applicant can evaluate his/her performance and can prepare for the next examination by overcoming his/her weak areas.
If an applicant wishes for a retest, he/she can apply after 15 days of the last examination. In this retest, the student will get 6 opportunities to clear the exam. After completing 3 attempts, it’s necessary to provide the identification documents for the sake of verification. After 3 additional chances, an applicant has to deposit the required documents for getting the national certification.
If a candidate fails even after attempting all the six 6 opportunities, he/she has to go through the entire EMT educational curriculum.
Tips for Preparing for the Exams
- Study from the EMT textbooks, notes, references and other study materials.
- Practice sheets are a good way to improve your speed and knowledge.
- Review on-screen tests to know more about the exam.
- Read your EMT skill-sheet at least once.
- Review respiration and airway topics deeply.
- Have a protein-rich breakfast. It will help you to stay active during the exam.
- Don’t spend more than 40-50 seconds on each question, otherwise; you will not be able to attempt all the questions in the allotted time.
- Give up nervousness during the exam.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!