EMT Exams in Virginia
In order to prepare skilled Emergency Medical Technicians, the NREMT (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians) conducts EMT exams in Virginia. But, first the candidates are required to complete EMT program from a state-approved institute. Those aspirants, who successfully qualify the NREMT test, get the green signal to carry out their career without any hindrance. These examinations judge your skills and knowledge through psychomotor and cognitive exams.
Components of EMT Exams in Virginia
The cognitive exam is a CAT (Computer Adaptive Test), which consists of about 70-120 questions. Each question comes with 4 options, and you need to mark the right one. The time provided to complete the examination is 2 hours. The subject areas included in the test are as follows:
- Airway Management
- Medical Operations
- EMS Operations
- Paediatrics and Obstetrics
This is a practical exam, which is conducted on-site. It tests the candidate’s practical knowledge of managing the emergency conditions. The subjects involved in the exam are as follows:
- Traction Splinting
- Cardiac Arrest Management
- Long Bone Fracture Immobilization
- Mouth-to-Mask with Supplemental Oxygen
- Patient Assessment/Management
- Supplemental Oxygen Administration
- Bag-Valve-Mask Apneic Patient with a Pulse
- Bleeding Control & Shock Management
- Spinal Immobilization
- Joint Dislocation Immobilization
- Upper Airway Adjuncts and Suction
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
If the applicant fulfils all the eligibility requirements to appear for the exam, the PSI will send an eligibility postcard consisting directions to register, schedule and make payment of the examination fee.
- The aspirant is required to pass the written exam within six months of the authorization period.
- If the candidate remains unsuccessful in clearing the test, he/she will be given 2 more opportunities to pass the examination within the authorization period of 6 months.
The candidate is required to pay the examination fee while doing the registration. It is also important to fill the form correctly.
Internet Registration and Scheduling
Being the fastest mode of communication, the internet is recommended for doing registration and scheduling of the exam. In order to do the internet registration, candidates must possess a valid MasterCard or VISA. Online registration is available 24 hours a day, and can be done by using the PSI’s website- www.psiexams.com . Follow the steps given below for doing the internet registration:
- Fill the online registration form given on the PSI’s website by signing into it and clicking on the link related to Virginia examinations.
- After filling the form, you will be provided with the dates and centers that are available for giving the examination. You need to select the date and place according to your preference.
Telephone Registration and Scheduling
The registration and scheduling for the EMT test can also be done by telephone via live registrars during the business hours, as well as via PSI’s Interactive Voice Response system (IVR) during the non-business hours. In order to do the telephone registration, aspirant must possess a valid VISA or MasterCard. Be prepared with details, like credit card number and expiry date, while registering through the phone.
Fax Registration and Scheduling
For doing registration through fax, candidates must obtain a valid VISA or MasterCard.
- Fill the details, like credit card number and expiry date, in the registration form and send it through the fax.
- If the details provided by you are incorrect or incomplete, you will receive it back for corrections.
Registration and Scheduling through Standard Mail
This method allows the applicant to pay either through a cashier’s check or money order, if he/she doesn’t want to share the credit card information through the internet or phone.
- Fill the registration form.
- Along with the form, attach cashier’s check or money order, which must be made on the name of PSI.
- You must print your name on the check or money order, so that the fee provided by you is properly allotted.
Important Note: You cannot pay the examination fee through personal check, company check or cash.
Rescheduling the Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
If you want to schedule a re-test, you can only apply the next day of giving the examination. You cannot re-apply on the same day as it takes time in processing and scoring. If you need to apply for a re-exam, follow the same steps of registration and scheduling that were provided earlier. Rescheduling can be carried out via mail, internet or phone.
Late Cancellation or Missed Appointment
The examination fee paid by the candidate will be forfeited as well the registration will turn invalid in the following circumstances:
- He/she do not turn up for the scheduled the exam.
- The applicant does not provide a valid ID proof at the examination site.
- The student doesn’t cancel the test appointment 2 days prior to the scheduled date.
- He/she reaches late or after the exam has started.
Reporting to the Examination Site
It is important for the aspirants to reach at least 30 minutes before the beginning of the exam. This will allow the candidate to get familiar with the examination procedure while also giving time to sign-in and ID verification.
Important Note: If you reach late at the exam center, you will not be permitted to sit for the test, as well as also lose the examination fee.
Following ID proofs must be provided by the candidate:
- An authorized government-issued ID proof, such as passport, military ID, driving license or state ID, which must contain the signatures, as well as the photograph of the student.
- The second identification proof must contain the candidate’s signature along with his/her pre-printed legal name.
- Paramedic and Intermediate candidates should bring their current EMT certification card to the examination center. If the candidate doesn’t possess the certification card, he/she can also submit a reinstatement letter obtained from the OEMS (Office of Emergency Medical Services).
Before entering the exam center, the following things should be kept in mind:
- Candidates are not allowed to bring books, large bags, briefcases, and electronic devices, like pagers, calculators or cell phones, etc.
- Smoking, drinking or eating is strictly prohibited at the examination site.
- Applicants cannot bring children along with them.
- Once the student is seated in the examination hall, he/she is not allowed to leave until the exam finishes. The candidate can only leave the examination hall if he/she wants to use the restroom, after seeking permission from the proctor.
- If the aspirant is caught with unauthorized materials, or if he/she is found giving or taking assistance from anyone, the management will ask the candidate to immediately leave the examination hall.
- Copying during the examination is strictly considered as infringement of the security rules, therefore; it may lead to the termination of the exam results or legal action against the candidate.
If the candidate is not successful in clearing the exam, the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) will send a performance feedback to him/her. A candidate can apply for a re-test after 15 days of the last examination.
Every candidate is provided with a maximum of 6 attempts to pass the exam. After appearing in 3 attempts, the applicant is required to provide legal documents, which verify that he/she has completed 24 hours of remedial program. After this, the student is provided with 3 more opportunities to clear the test. If the candidate fails to clear the examination even in all the 6 attempts, he/she will be required to complete the EMT program again.
Tips for Preparing for the EMT Exams
- Practice regularly from sample papers/practice tests. A lot of practice tests are available online.
- Purchase a good study guide and do study from it regularly.
- Read the questions well, but never interpret it into something else.
- Take hands-on program from EMTs and paramedics. This will help you to understand the concept better.
- Read those topics first, which you find the most comfortable.
- Always stay positive as the day of the examination approaches.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!