EMT Salary in California

California is the state with the highest employment level for EMTs and paramedics in May, 2013 (as per the Bureau of Labor Statistics). A total of 16,680 emergency medical technicians were employed by the state and the employment per 1000 jobs was 1.13. The mean hourly income of these professionals was $16.98 while the mean annual salary was $35,310. As per indeed.com, the average EMT salary in California (as of January 2015) was $37,000, which was 7% higher than the average EMT salaries at the national level.

Average Annual Salary of EMTs on Different Percentile Brackets in CA

Percentile Bracket Average Annual Salary
90th $57,620
75th $43,600
50th $29,600
25th $22,580
10th $19,720

Information Source – Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2013)

  • 90% of EMTs earned less than $57,620; the rest of 10% earned more than $57,620.
  • 75% employees made an average annual income of $43,600; the remaining 25% made more than $43,600.
  • 50% workers took home less than $29,600 while other 50% took more than $29,600.
  • 25% emergency medical technicians earned a gross income less than $22,580; 75% earned more than $22,580.
  • The average annual income of 10% employees was less than $19,720; the rest 90% were paid more than $19,720.

Salary as per Geographical Location

Besides your education and experience, your salary largely depends on the geographical location where you render your services. Different cities in California offer different salary packages to EMTs. In January 2015, as per salary.com, the highest paying cities were Daly City, Richmond, and San Francisco with median annual and hourly salary of $39,164 and $19 respectively. With $32,163 median annual salary and $15 median hourly salary, Visalia was the lowest paying city.

Name of the City Median Annual Salary Median Monthly Salary Median Weekly Salary Median Hourly Salary
Anaheim $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Antioch $35,515 $2,960 $683 $17
Apple Valley $34,030 $2,836 $654 $16
Bakersfield $33,022 $2,752 $635 $16
Berkeley $36,406 $3,034 $700 $18
Burbank $35,165 $2,930 $676 $17
Carlsbad $33,997 $2,833 $654 $16
Carson $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Chico $32,990 $2,749 $634 $16
Chula Vista $34,123 $2,844 $656 $16
Coachella $33,302 $2,775 $640 $16
Concord $35,762 $2,980 $688 $17
Corona $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
Costa Mesa $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Daly City $39,164 $3,264 $753 $19
Downey $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
El Cajon $34,123 $2,844 $656 $16
El Monte $35,165 $2,930 $676 $17
Elk Grove $34,838 $2,903 $670 $17
Escondido $33,767 $2,814 $649 $16
Fairfield $35,762 $2,980 $688 $17
Fontana $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
Fermont $37,856 $3,155 $728 $18
Fresno $32,692 $2,724 $629 $16
Fullerton $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Garden Grove $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Glendale $35,165 $2,930 $676 $17
Hayward $36,406 $3,034 $700 $18
Huntington Beach $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Inglewood $35,165 $2,930 $676 $17
Irvine $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Lancaster $33,516 $2,793 $645 $16
Lompoc $32,666 $2,722 $628 $16
Long Beach $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Los Angeles $35,165 $2,930 $676 $17
Modesto $34,052 $2,838 $655 $16
Monterey $35,553 $2,963 $684 $17
Moreno Valley $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
Murrieta $34,373 $2,864 $661 $17
Newhall $35,165 $2,930 $676 $17
Norwalk $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Oakland $36,406 $3,034 $700 $18
Oceanside $34,081 $2,840 $655 $16
Ontario $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
Orange $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Oxnard $33,965 $2,830 $653 $16
Palmdale $33,734 $2,811 $649 $16
Pasadena $35,165 $2,930 $676 $17
Petaluma $35,762 $2,980 $688 $17
Pomona $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Rancho Cucamonga $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
Rialto $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
Richmond $39,164 $3,264 $753 $19
Riverside $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
Roseville $34,838 $2,903 $670 $17
Sacramento $34,838 $2,903 $670 $17
Salinas $35,553 $2,963 $684 $17
San Bernardino $33,834 $2,819 $651 $16
San Diego $34,123 $2,844 $656 $16
San Francisco $39,164 $3,264 $753 $19
San Jose $37,856 $3,155 $728 $18
Santa Ana $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Santa Barbara $33,940 $2,828 $653 $16
Santa Clara $37,856 $3,155 $728 $18
Santa Clarita $33,706 $2,809 $648 $16
Santa Cruz $36,980 $3,082 $711 $18
Santa Maria $32,625 $2,719 $627 $16
Santa Rosa $35,585 $2,965 $684 $17
Simi Valley $33,513 $2,793 $644 $16
Stockton $34,803 $2,900 $669 $17
Sunnyvale $37,856 $3,155 $728 $18
Temecula $34,151 $2,846 $657 $16
Thousand Oaks $33,330 $2,778 $641 $16
Torrance $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17
Vallejo $35,762 $2,980 $688 $17
Ventura $33,965 $2,830 $653 $16
Victorville $34,277 $2,856 $659 $16
Visalia $32,163 $2,680 $619 $15
West Covina $35,463 $2,955 $682 $17

Information Source – salary.com (as of January 2015)

Salary of Professionals with Similar Job Titles in CA


There are several related titles in the field of Emergency Medical Services. The higher your designation, the higher would be the salary. In January 2015 (as per the reports of indeed.com), Cardiovascular Specialists Ral earned the highest income, i.e., $72,000 per annum. Firefighter Recruit and EMT P earned $49,000 and $47,000 per year respectively. EMT Akron OH was the lowest paid employee with average annual salary of $22,000.

Name of the Title Average Salary
EMT Paramedic Instructor $28,000
Security Officer EMT $29,000
Cardiovascular Specialists Ral $72,000
EMT Basic $25,000
EMT Akron OH $22,000
Electrician Journeyman $46,000
Paramedic Evansville $38,000
EMT Emergency Medical Technician $28,000
EMT P $47,000
Firefighter Recruit $49,000
Firefighter EMT $42,000
Emergency Medical Technician $31,000

Information Source – indeed.com (as of January 2015)

Other Benefits

In addition to handsome salary package, EMTs enjoy other monetary and non-monetary perks in CA as well. Some of them are as follows:

  • Sick leaves
  • Paid leaves
  • Access to the credit union
  • Life Insurance
  • Financial assistance for continuing further education
  • Bonus and good overtime
  • Retirement plans

Employment Outlook

Keeping in mind the increasing number of emergency situations, the BLS has projected a hike of 33% in the employment of emergency medical technicians by the year 2020. One can expect immense growth opportunities and bright future in this field. Therefore, get yourself enrolled for EMT program in CA so as to avail the golden opportunity.

Do You Know