EMT Program in Iowa
A state-approved EMT program in Iowa aims to make the students learn the necessary life-support skills that are important to become an Emergency Medical Technician. In this program, students become skilled at handling patients of trauma cases and providing them with the immediate pre-hospital care. EMT program in Iowa is recognized under the Iowa Bureau of EMS.
Here are the general pre-requisites of EMT program in Iowa:
- Students, who are dreaming of pursuing EMT program in Iowa, must be at least eighteen years old or more.
- Another important requirement is a valid driver’s license.
- Students of Iowa must possess a high school or GED certificate.
- A CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is also required to be maintained by the student, all through the program.
- Prospective students of Iowa may also be asked to submit their scores of COMPASS or ACCUPLACER tests. These check the English fluency, as well the mathematical skills of the students.
- Students of EMT program in Iowa must provide the immunization proofs of diseases, such as measles, mumps, chickenpox, rubella, tetanus, hepatitis B, pertussis and diphtheria.
- The negative reports of tests done within the last 12 months of the following are also important:
- Chest X-ray
- A flu shot
- Students in Iowa need to submit a drug test, as well as a check on their criminal background.
The different levels of EMT program are as follows:
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician
- EMT Intermediate (EMT-I)
Below mentioned is the general coursework/curriculum of an EMT program:
- EMS systems
- The human body
- Vital signs
- Correct ways of moving and lifting patients
- Medical, legal and ethical issues of EMS
- Respiratory, diabetic, poison/overdose and cardiac emergencies
- Bleeding and shock management
- Airway management & oxygen techniques
- Oral aspirin
- Environmental, gynaecological and obstetrical emergencies
- Patient assessment
- Partial rebreather mask, venture mask, simple face mask
- Handling infants, children and old-aged patients
- Ways to handle several patients
- Head, neck and spine injuries
- Injuries of musculoskeletal and soft tissues
- Epinephrine auto-injector
Duration and Fees
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
Though, the exact figure varies in different colleges, but the approximate fees of in-state EMT programs in Iowa range between $3000 and $5000. A paramedic level of EMT program would cost between $1000 and $10,000.
It takes around one to three months to complete a basic program of EMT program while a paramedic level of program will take around 2 years to complete.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Des Moines Area Community College
Address: 2006 South Ankeny Boulevard, Ankeny, Iowa- 50023
Contact Number: 515-964-6200
Official Website: https://go.dmacc.edu
- Eastern Iowa Community Colleges
Address: 306 West River Drive Davenport, Iowa- 52801
Contact Number: 1-800-462-3255
Official Website: http://www.eicc.edu/
- Indian Hills Community College
Address: 525 Grandview Avenue, Ottumwa, Iowa- 52501
Contact Number: (641) 683-5111, (800) 726-2585
Official Website: http://www.indianhills.edu/
- Iowa Central Community College
Address: One Triton Circle, Fort Dodge, Iowa- 50501
Contact Number: 800-362-2793, 515-576-7201
Official Website: http://www.iowacentral.edu/
- Iowa Western Community College
Address: 2700 College Road, Council Bluffs, Iowa- 51503
Contact Number: 712-325-3200, 800-432-5852
Official Website: http://www.iwcc.edu/
- Kirkwood Community College
Address: 6301 Kirkwood Boulevard South-west, Cedar Rapids, Iowa- 52404
Contact Number: 319-398-5411, 800-332-2055
Official Website: http://www.kirkwood.edu/
- North Iowa Area Community College
Address: 500 College Drive, Mason City, Iowa- 50401
Contact Number: 641-422-4245
Official Website: http://www.niacc.edu/
- Northeast Iowa Community College
Address: 1625 Highway 150 South, P.O. Box- 400, Calmar, Iowa- 52132
Contact Number: 800-728-2256, 563-562-3263
Official Website: https://www.nicc.edu/
- Southeastern Community College
Address: 1500 West Agency Road, P.O. Box- 180, West Burlington, Iowa- 52655-0810
Contact Number: 319-752-2731
Official Website: http://www.scciowa.edu/
- Western Iowa Tech Community College
Address: 4647 Stone Avenue, P.O. Box- 5199, Sioux City, Iowa- 51102-5199
Contact Number: 712-274-6400
Official Website: http://www.witcc.edu/
- University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
Address: 200 Hawkins Drive, Iowa City, Iowa- 52242
Contact Number: 866-452-8507
Official Website: http://www.uihealthcare.org/otherservices.aspx?id=1670
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
- Mercy Medical Center
Address: 1111 6th Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa- 50314
Contact Number: 515-247-3121
Official Website: http://www.mercydesmoines.org/
For any other EMT related information in Iowa, you may contact:
IA Department of Public Health – Bureau of EMS
401 Southwest 7th, Suite- D,
Des Moines, Iowa- 50309
Contact Number: (515) 725-0322