EMT Program in Kentucky
In EMT program in Kentucky, students study the ways of providing basic pre-hospital care that is very important to save a person’s life from a medical emergency. The job of an Emergency Medical Technician is to rush to the trauma’s site and provide the necessary first-aid care to patients before they are treated in a hospital. EMT program in Kentucky is recognized under the Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services.
The essential requirements for a student to apply for EMT program in Kentucky are:
- Students, who are signing up for EMT program, should not be less than 18 years of age.
- In Kentucky, students must possess a valid driving license.
- A high school certificate or GED is a must in order to take up EMT program in Kentucky.
- Some students may also be asked to show their COMPASS or ACCUPLACER test marks while applying for the program program. These examine their English speaking, reading and writing skills along with their mathematical knowledge.
- It is important for students to maintain a CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification throughout the duration of EMT program.
- The vaccination proofs of measles, diphtheria, mumps, tetanus, chickenpox, hepatitis B, rubella and pertussis must be submitted by the students of Kentucky.
- Negative reports of the following medical examinations, done within the past 12 months, need to be provided by the students:
- Chest X-ray
- Flu shot
- A check on the criminal background, as well as a drug test, is also important to be submitted.
The following are the various levels of EMT program in Kentucky:
- First Responder
- Emergency Medical Technician – EMT
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician – AEMT
- Critical Care Paramedic Endorsement
The basic coursework of EMT program in Kentucky is as follows:
- The human body
- Legal and ethical issues of EMS
- EMS systems
- How to move and lift patients?
- Handling various emergency cases of diabetic, respiratory, cardiac, poison/overdose
- Maintaining patient record, and communication
- Behavioural and environmental emergencies
- Obstetrics and gynaecology
- Pediatric emergencies
- Handling oxygen equipment and airway management
- Shock and bleeding management
- Head, spine, neck injuries
- Musculoskeletal, as well as soft tissue injuries
- Adolescents and old patients
- Vital signs
- How to take care of multiple patients at a time?
Duration and Fees
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
The approximate fee of an EMT basic and paramedic course may range in between $3,000 and $9,000, though; the exact figures are different in different colleges.
The duration of EMT-basic program is about 2-3 months while a paramedic program will take around 6 months to 2 years to complete.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Bluegrass Community & Technical College
Address: 470 Cooper Drive, Lexington, Kentucky- 40506-0235
Contact Number: 866-774-4872
Official Website: http://www.bluegrass.kctcs.edu/
- Eastern Kentucky University
Address: 521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, Kentucky- 40475
Contact Number: (859) 622-1000
Official Website: http://www.eku.edu/
- Elizabethtown Community & Technical College
Address: 600 College Street Road, Elizabethtown, Kentucky- 42701
Contact Number: (270) 769-2371
Official Website: http://www.elizabethtown.kctcs.edu/
- Gateway Community & Technical College
Address: 500 Technology Way, Florence, Kentucky- 41042
Contact Number: (859) 441-4500
- Jefferson Community & Technical College
Address: 109 East Broadway, Louisville, Kentucky- 40202
Contact Number: (502) 213-5333
Official Website: http://www.jefferson.kctcs.edu/
- Owensboro Community & Technical College
Address: 4800 New Hartford Road, Owensboro, Kentucky- 42303
Contact Number: (270) 686-4400
Official Website: https://owensboro.kctcs.edu/
- Somerset Community College
Address: 808 Monticello Street, Somerset, Kentucky- 42501
Contact Number: 877-629-9722
Official Website: http://www.somerset.kctcs.edu/
- Southcentral Kentucky Community & Technical College
Address: 1845 Loop Drive, Bowling Green, Kentucky- 42101
Contact Number: (270) 901-1000
Official Website: http://www.bowlinggreen.kctcs.edu/
- West Kentucky Community & Technical College
Address: 4810 Alben Barkley Drive Paducah, Kentucky- 42001
Contact Number: 270-554-9200
Official Website: http://www.westkentucky.kctcs.edu/
- Western Kentucky University
Address: 1906 College Heights Boulevard, Bowling Green, Kentucky- 42101
Contact Number: (270) 745-0111
Official Website: http://www.wku.edu/
- Spalding University
Address: 845 South Third Street, Louisville, Kentucky- 40203
Contact Number: (502) 585-9911
Official Website: http://spalding.edu/
- St. Catharine College
Address: 2735 Bardstown Road, St. Catharine, Kentucky- 40061
Contact Number: 859-336-5082
Official Website: http://www.sccky.edu/
- Life-Savers, Inc.
Address: P.O. Box- 197334, Louisville, Kentucky- 40259
Contact Number: (502) 961-6329
Fax: (502) 961-6998
Official Website: http://www.life-savers.org/
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
In case, you need any other information on EMT program in Kentucky, contact the below mentioned address:
Kentucky Board of Emergency Medical Services
275 East Main Street, HS1E-F,
Frankfort, Kentucky- 40621-0001