EMT Program in Maine
EMT program in Maine teaches students how to manage trauma cases and provide life-saving services to patients. In Maine, this program is approved by Maine Emergency Medical Services. However, it is important for students to avail the program from well- reputed and state-approved program centers. Before applying, students must fulfil certain requirements in order to become eligible for the program.
In order to pursue EMT program in Maine, students must fulfil the following pre-requisites:
- It is compulsory for the students of Maine to be of at least 18 years for applying for the program program.
- Students in Maine must maintain their own valid driving license.
- It is mandatory to maintain a CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) during the program.
- EMT aspirants of Maine must have a high school certificate or they should have passed tenth grade level. Some students may be required to submit their marks of tests, like COMPASS or ACCUPLACER, which examine their English proficiency and maths skills.
- A drug test is very important along with a check on the criminal background of the student.
- Students should also provide vaccination proofs of measles, chickenpox, tetanus, mumps, rubella, pertussis, hepatitis B and diphtheria, if they are applying for EMT program in Maine.
- In Maine, negative reports of flu shot, chest X-ray and tuberculosis tests, done within the past 12 months, are a must to be submitted by the students.
There are four levels of EMT program in Maine, which are as follows:
- EMT First Responder
EMT First Responder Program
Students pursuing this level of program learn the basic ways of taking care of patients in the emergency cases. Students assist EMT personnel while helping them in cases of emergency childbirths, bone injuries, as well as ambulance operations. In the end, students need to undergo an internship at the nearby hospital.
This level of program involves both clinical and classroom instruction. It includes topics, like patient record and documentation, CPR, management of airway, transporting patients, bandaging, shock/bleeding management, immobilization, as well as C-spine. After this program, students are able to work in ambulances, emergency rooms, fire departments and industries.
Students, who learn this level of program, study patient management & patient assessment, proper ventilation, airway management, medication administration along with handling trauma patients. After the completion of the program, students have to participate in the laboratory and clinical internship at a nearby hospital.
Paramedic level of program includes both hands-on program, as well as classroom instruction. The subject areas that are taught to students of this level of EMT program are defibrillation, intravenous therapy, patient record & communication, endotracheal intubation, administration of medicines, and cardiac rhythm interpretation. Additionally, students are trained in cardiac life support, pediatric advanced life support and pre-hospital trauma life support.
Duration and Fees
The approximate duration of an EMT-basic program is around 2-3 months. A period of around 2 years is required to finish a paramedic program.
The in-state tuition fees of EMT program in Maine is around $3,000 to $4,000, approximately.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Eastern Maine Community College
Address: 354 Hogan Road, Bangor, Maine- 04401
Contact Number: (207) 974-4600
Official Website: http://www.emcc.edu/
- Kennebec Valley Community College
Address: 92 Western Avenue, Fairfield, Maine- 04937
Contact Number: (207) 453-5035
Official Website: http://www.kvcc.me.edu/
- Southern Maine Community College
Address: 2 Fort Road, South Portland, Maine- 04106
Contact Number: 207-741-5500
Official Website: http://www.smccme.edu/
You can contact the below given address if you need any other information related to EMT program in Maine.
Maine Board of Emergency Medical Services
Central Maine Commerce Center
45 Commerce Drive, Suite 1
152 State House Station
Augusta, Maine- 04333-0152