EMT Program in Massachusetts
In cases of medical emergencies, EMTs are the first to serve and provide necessary medical care to the sufferers. EMT program in Massachusetts trains potential paramedics about the skills and ways of handling multiple patients during crisis. They learn to apply their best possible efforts while providing pre-hospital care to patients. EMT program in Massachusetts is certified by Massachusetts Office of Emergency Medical Services.
These are the general pre-requisites that must be fulfilled by a student if he/she wants to pursue the program for Emergency Medical Technician.
- The minimum age limit for applying for EMT program program in Maryland is 18 years.
- Prospective students must hold a valid driving license.
- A CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification, issued by the healthcare provider, is required to be maintained by the student, throughout the EMT program.
- EMT students in Massachusetts must submit their high school certificate or a tenth grade level score-card. Some students may also be asked to provide the marks of COMPASS or ACCUPLACER tests, which are indispensable for testing their English and maths skills.
- Submission of immunization proofs is mandatory. They need to give the vaccination proofs of measles, mumps, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, chickenpox, diphtheria and rubella.
- Another significant requisite is the negative reports of flu shot, tuberculosis test, and chest X-ray that has been conducted within the past one year.
- A drug test, as well as a check on the criminal background of the student, is also compulsory for pursuing program.
Massachusetts currently provides program at three levels:
The coursework of the EMT program is as follows:
- Airway management and proper oxygen techniques
- How to manage wounds and fractures?
- Injuries of head, spine and neck
- Shock and bleeding management
- Handling cardiac arrest
- Aerosolized medications
- Emergency childbirth
- Auto extrication
- Other medical emergencies
Field program is also required to be completed by the student after the classroom program.
This level of program trains the students all the advanced skills of handling patients in emergency cases before they are shifted to the hospital. It includes hands-on program besides classroom program.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
The topics included in this level of program are:
- Anatomy & physiology
- Introduction to paramedicine
- How to handle medical, as well as trauma emergencies?
- Cardiovascular emergencies
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- Neonatal, gynaecological and obstetrical emergencies
Clinical internship is an integral part of the program that should be taken by the students after completion of the program. It makes them practically capable to handle situations of medical crisis.
Duration and Fees
The total duration of an EMT-basic program in Massachusetts is around 171 hours.
The approximate cost of EMT program in public colleges is between $3,000 and $5,000 while in private colleges, you might have to pay a hefty amount of about $30,000 to $40,000.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Bristol Community College
Address: 777 Elsbree Street, Fall River, Massachusetts- 02720
Contact Number: 508-678-2811
Official Website: http://www.bristol.mass.edu/
- Cape Cod Community College
Address: 2240 Iyannough Road, West Barnstable, Massachusetts- 02668
Contact Number: 508-362-2131
Official Website: http://www.capecod.edu/
- Greenfield Community College
Address: One College Drive, Greenfield, Massachusetts- 01301
Contact Number: 413-775-1801
Official Website: http://www.gcc.mass.edu/
- MassBay Community College
Address: 50 Oakland Street, Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts- 02481
Contact Number: (781) 239-3000
Official Website: http://www.massbay.edu/
- Northeastern University
Address: 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts- 02115
Contact Number: 617-373-2000
Official Website: http://www.northeastern.edu/
- Northern Essex Community College
Address: 100 Elliot Street, Haverhill, Massachusetts- 01830
Contact Number: 978-556-3000
Official Website: http://www.necc.mass.edu/
- Quinsigamond Community College
Address: 670 West Boylston Street, Worcester, Massachusetts- 01606
Contact Number: 508-853-2300
Official Website: http://www.qcc.edu/
- Springfield College
Address: 263 Alden Street, Springfield, Massachusetts- 01109-3797
Contact Number: 413-748-3000
Official Website: http://www.springfieldcollege.edu/
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
For any other information on EMT program in Massachusetts, students can contact on the below mentioned address:
Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Office of Emergency Medical Services
2 Boylston Street, 3rd Floor
Boston, Massachusetts- 02116