EMT Program in Oklahoma
Do you want to pursue your career in the field of emergency services? If yes, then get yourself enrolled for EMT program in Oklahoma. This program will help a student to learn about different methods and procedures to be used during basic life support emergencies. The state of Oklahoma considers National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) examinations for providing state license.
Acquiring EMT and paramedic license in this state is a very easy job. All students are ought to complete their graduation before applying for state licensure. In addition to it, Oklahoma is one of the only states in Unites States, which provides little lengthy program in contrast to the minimum program hours, required to complete EMT program.
With the successful completion of EMT program, an aspirant can easily obtain state- approved license and start providing willing services during safety, health, and accidental emergencies.
EMT Program Requirements
What are the requirements to become eligible for EMT program? This is a question, which comes in the mind of every EMT aspirant. Before joining any program institute, a candidate must consider the basic requirements, laid by the state for EMT program. Some compulsory requirements are:
- It is imperative for students to have an age of 18 years or above to get enrolled for a state-accredited program institute.
- The students, aspiring to get EMT program in Oklahoma, have to show an evidence of General Education Development or high school diploma.
- An EMT aspirant has to hold a CPR certification. It is mandatory for all students to maintain their CPR certification throughout their entire program period.
- One of the compulsory requirements is a valid driving license.
- The students are ought to read at 10th grade level.
- The students have to go through a drug test. They are also asked to deposit reports of the drug test for criminal history check.
- All the applicants have to get Tdap immunization to protect themselves from various ailments, like:
- The students also have to present proof of various vaccinations, including:
- Hepatitis B
- An EMT aspirant also has to go through a negative tuberculosis PPD skin test, a flu shot, and a negative chest x-ray.
- Besides this, the candidate also has to possess excellent communication skills.
- The candidates, who want to provide willing services during emergencies, should be mentally and physically strong.
To become an efficient EMT, aspirants ought to go through a program program, provided by a state approved program school. The state of Oklahoma has also maintained various levels of EMT program. The students can polish their skills by successfully gaining practical, as well as oral instructions during classroom lectures and practical classes. As soon as the students complete program sessions, they become capable of using various equipments and methods to handle basic life support emergencies. The students, who want to know the different levels of program in Oklahoma, can go through the information provided below:
- EMR (Emergency Medical Responder): This is the first or primary level of EMT program. In this level, a student gets acquainted about all the basic and primary pre-hospital care to be used in case of any emergency. They have the least knowledge of clinical skills.
- EMT-B (EMT-Basics): After the primary level, a student enters to the next level, i.e., EMT-basic. Under basic level of program, the students learn about various pre-hospital medical techniques to be used during any emergency.
- EMT-I (EMT-Intermediate): After completing two levels of program, students enter in intermediate level. All students are taught advanced methods of using emergency equipments and procedures to handle any emergency.
- EMT-P (EMT-Paramedic): This is the last stage of becoming a qualified EMT. When a student enters this level, it is believed that the student is well-versed with all necessary emergency handling techniques and methods. At this level, students are provided the highest level of program.
After going through the levels of EMT program, every student is curious to know what all is taught during program sessions? Well, you can expect the following skills and techniques to be taught during classroom and practical program sessions.
- Shock management
- Airway management
- Bleeding control methods
- Haemorrhage control techniques
- Patient assessment
- Trauma management
- Automated external defibrillation
- Airway management
- Managing soft tissue injuries
- Musculoskeletal injury management
- Respiratory emergency
- Cardiac emergency
- Cardiac monitoring
- Study of EMT-basic pharmacology
- Managing spinal, head, and neck injury
- Assessing old, adolescent, and infant patients
- Methods to lift and move patients
- Pediatric emergency
- Assistance during childbirth
- Diabetic emergency
- Managing IV fluids
- Oxygen therapy
- Pharmaceutical administration
- Medications for various health disorders
Duration and Cost of Program
Every EMT aspirant desires to avail a cost and time-effective program program from a program institute. Cost and length of a program program is the most important aspect, which are considered by all the students during enrolment. In the state of Oklahoma, the EMT program usually lasts for the following time period:
- EMT-B: To complete EMT-basics program in the state of Oklahoma, a candidate requires minimum 154 hours. In these hours, he/she learns all the basic methods to be used in case of any type of urgent medical situation. It is the least time consuming level, which equips a student to enter to the second level of program.
- EMT-I: To become a well-trained EMT-intermediate, a student has to undergo program of 190 hours. This is a moderate time consuming level, which teaches advanced techniques to an EMT aspirant.
- EMT-P: The last stage of EMT program, i.e., EMT-paramedic requires 1050 hours to become a skilled EMT-paramedic. This level consumes more time as compared to other levels as it involves much more advanced techniques of handling emergencies.
Now, you need to look out the cost of program programs in these schools. There is a difference in the fee structure of EMT programs, conducted by different program schools. Basically, the cost of EMT program in Oklahoma lies between $1,350 and $5,700.
State-Approved EMT Program Schools
An EMT aspirant, who is looking for enrolling in program school in the state of Oklahoma, can consider the following state-approved program schools:
- Oklahoma State University
Address: 900 North Portland Avenue, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma- 73107
Contact Number: 405-947-4421 / 1-800-560-4099
Official Website: http://www.osuokc.edu/home/
- Oklahoma City Community College
Address: 7777 South May Avenue, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma- 73159-4444
Contact Number: 405-682-1611
Official Website: http://www.occc.edu/
- Metro Technology Centers
Address: 1900 Springlake Drive, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma- 73111-5238
Contact Number: 405-424-8324
Official Website: http://www.metrotech.org/index.shtml
- Eastern Oklahoma County Technology Center
Address: 4601 North Choctaw Road, Choctaw, Oklahoma- 73020
Contact Number: 405-390-9591
Official Website: http://www.eoctech.org/
- Gordon Cooper
Address: One John C. Bruton Boulevard, Shawnee, Oklahoma- 74804
Contact Number: 405-273-7493
Official Website: http://www.gctech.org/
- Meridian Technology Center
Address: 1312 South Sangre Road, Stillwater, Oklahoma- 74074
Contact Number: 405-377-3333 / 888-607-2509
Official Website: http://www.meridiantech.edu/
- Kiamichi Technology Centers
Address: P.O. Box- 548, 1004 Highway 2 North, Wilburton, Oklahoma- 74578
Contact Number: 918-465-2323
Official Website: http://www.ktc.edu/
- Pontotoc Technology Center
Address: 601 West 33rd Street, Ada, Oklahoma- 74820
Contact Number: 580-310-2250
Official Website: http://www.pontotoctech.edu/
- Tulsa Community College
Address: 3727 East Apache Street, Tulsa, Oklahoma- 74115
Contact Number: 918-595-7000
Official Website: http://www.tulsacc.edu/
- Tulsa Technology Center
Address: 6111 East Skelly Drive, Tulsa, Oklahoma – 74147
Contact Number: 918-828-5000
Official Website: http://tulsatech.edu/
Oklahoma Emergency Medical Services Division
Address: 1000 North East 10th, Room 1104, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma- 73117
Contact Number: 405-271-4027