EMT Training in Oregon
Students, who want to give voluntary services in situations of emergencies in the state of Oregon, are required to undergo EMT training in Oregon through any state-approved school. If a student successfully completes EMT training, he/she becomes eligible for clearing National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exams. While attending EMT training sessions in Oregon, a student can enhance his/her patient-care skills.
In the state of Oregon, aspirants can get familiar with the basic techniques and methods through EMT-basic coursework. By undergoing this basic EMT curriculum, students will not only develop a strong educational base to provide EMS services, but will also pave the way for becoming an EMT-intermediate and a skilled paramedic. The criteria of EMT training in Oregon are laid down by the Department of Transportation.
Mandatory Requirements for EMT Training
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
Candidates, seeking for EMT training, have to fulfil essential training requirements. Once these requirements are fulfilled, candidates become eligible for getting enrolled in a state-recognized training school. Following are the essential requirements:
- First and the foremost requirement to get enrolled in a training school is the age of 18 years or above.
- The applicants also need to show evidence of GED or high school diploma.
- A valid driving license must be carried by the candidates.
- The EMT students may be asked to show placement reports, like COMPASS, ASSET, etc.
- It is mandatory for all the EMT students to hold a CPR certificate. They must maintain the certification throughout the training.
- All the candidates are required to read at tenth grade level.
- The candidates are ought to present proof of certain inoculation, named below:
- Hepatitis B
- The aspirants also need to get Tdap vaccination to shield themselves from pertussis, diphtheria, tetanus, and chickenpox.
- Along with a drug test, all the aspirants are also required to go through a negative tuberculosis skin PPD test, a flu shot, a negative chest x-ray, etc.
- They need to submit the test results for criminal background check.
- The EMT prospects should possess effective communication skills and must be able to read, speak, and write English language.
- Lastly, it is mandatory for EMT prospects to be fit, both mentally and bodily, to provide willing emergency services.
Every EMT aspirant wishes to undergo a complete EMT training procedure in order to refine the pre-hospital skills, which are to be used at basic life support level. The state of Oregon offers a complete training curriculum to the aspirants. The students can easily determine the significance of patient’s injury or illness if they have successfully managed to undergo EMT training. Students can also evaluate emergency medical care requirements. In the state of Oregon, the applicants have to go through a four-level training coursework, described as follows:
- EMR (Emergency Medical Responder): This is the first level of training, in which, a student learns about pre-medical care. Students are trained to perform basic life support skills with minimum usage of equipments. The primary level of training helps a student to understand the functions of heart, blood, upper airway, bones, lungs, etc.
- EMT-B (Emergency Medical Technician- Basics): This is the second level of EMT training, in which, it is believed that an EMT provides services as a part of comprehensive EMS services. The students are trained about various skills, like respiratory management, assessment of injured patients, manage illness, and prevent injury.
- Advanced EMT: This is the advanced level of EMT training, under which, a student is taught several techniques to handle medical or safety emergencies, like advanced airway management, respiratory management, patient assessment, etc.
- EMT-P (Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic): This is the final level of EMT training, under which, it is assumed that the aspirants are well acquainted with complex techniques, like trauma management, cardiac management, assistance during childbirth, etc.
What are the other important techniques taught during EMT training sessions?
The essential methods or techniques that are taught during training sessions are:
- Respiratory emergencies
- Epinephrine auto-injector
- Managing head, spinal, and neck injury
- Managing musculoskeletal emergencies
- Haemorrhage control methods
- Lifting and moving patients
- Handling soft tissue injuries
- Shock management
- Bleeding control techniques
- Pediatric emergencies
Training Duration and Cost
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
The state of Oregon has approved various schools to provide necessary training to the EMT aspirants. It is the responsibility of an EMT aspirant to go through the cost and length of a training program being offered by the training school. Different levels take different time to get completed. The length of EMT training in the state of Oregon is mentioned below:
- Emergency Medical Technician- Basic (EMT-B): The basic training level usually requires 8-11 weeks. During this, a student learns about the basic techniques to handle the basic life support.
- Emergency Medical Technician- Intermediate (EMT-I): To become an EMT-intermediate, a student usually needs to undergo training of 30-350 hours. This training makes student able to use advanced medical techniques and equipments.
- Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic (EMT-P): This training prepares skilled paramedics, who are well-trained in rendering emergency services. This is the most important level of training, which usually lasts for 6 months to 2 years.
Apart from the duration of the training, students also need to cross-check the cost of the program being offered by different EMT training institutes. Usually, the cost of the training program ranges between $3,872 and $7,852.
State-Accredited EMT Training Schools
For the purpose of providing authenticated training, the state of Oregon accredits various training schools. Following are the recognized EMT schools in Oregon:
- Linn-Benton Community College
Address: 6500 Pacific Boulevard South West, Albany, Oregon- 97321
Contact Number: 541-917-4999
Official Website: http://www.linnbenton.edu/
- Clatsop Community College
Address: 1651 Lexington Avenue, Astoria, Oregon- 97103
Contact Number: 503-325-0910 / 503-338-2411 /1-855-252-8767
Official Website: https://www.clatsopcc.edu/
- Central Oregon Community College
Address: 2600 North West College Way, Bend, Oregon- 97701
Contact Number: 541-383-7700
Official Website: http://www.cocc.edu/
- Columbia Gorge Community College
Address: 400 East Scenic Drive, The Dalles, Oregon- 97058-3434
Contact Number: 541- 506-6000
Official Website: http://www.cgcc.edu/
- Southwestern Oregon Community College
Address: 1988 Newmark Avenue, Coos Bay, Oregon- 97420
Contact Number: 541-888-2525 / 1-800-962-2838
Official Website: http://www.socc.edu/
- Lane Community College
Address: 4000 East 30th Avenue, Eugene, Oregon- 97405
Contact Number: 541-463-3000
Official Website: http://www.lanecc.edu/
- Rogue Community College
Address: 3345 Redwood Highway, Grants Pass, Oregon- 97527-9291
Contact Number: 541-956-7500
Official Website: https://www.roguecc.edu/
- Mt. Hood Community College
Address: 26000 South East Stark Street, Gresham, Oregon- 97030
Contact Number: 503-491-6422
Official Website: http://www.mhcc.edu/
- Klamath Community College
Address: 7390 South 6th Street, Klamath Falls, Oregon- 97603
Contact Number: 541-882-3521
Official Website: http://www.klamathcc.edu/Home
- Oregon Institute of Technology
Address: 3201 Campus Drive, Klamath Falls, Oregon- 97601
Contact Number: 541-885-1000
Official Website: http://www.oit.edu/
- Oregon Coast Community College
Address: 400 Southeast College Way, Newport, Oregon- 97366
Contact Number: 541-265-2283
Official Website: http://www.oregoncoastcc.org/
- Treasure Valley Community College
Address: 650 College Boulevard, Ontario, Oregon- 97914
Contact Number: 541-881-8822
Official Website: http://www.tvcc.cc/
- Clackamas Community College
Address: 19600 Molalla Avenue, Oregon City, Oregon- 97045
Contact Number: 503-594-6000 / 503-594-6100
Official Website: http://www.clackamas.edu/
- Portland Community College
Address: 12000 Southwest 49th Avenue, Portland, Oregon- 97219
Contact Number: 971-722-6111
Official Website: http://www.pcc.edu/
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
- Umpqua Community College
Address: 1140 Umpqua College Road, Roseburg, Oregon- 97470
Contact Number: 541-440-4600
Official Website: http://www.umpqua.edu/
- Chemeketa Community College
Address: 4000 Lancaster Drive Northeast, Salem, Oregon- 97305
Contact Number: 503-399-5000
Official Website: http://www.chemeketa.edu/
- Tillamook Bay Community College
Address: 4301 3rd Street, Tillamook, Oregon- 97141
Contact Number: 503-842-8222
Official Website: http://www.tbcc.cc.or.us/
Oregon EMS & Trauma Systems
Address: 800 North East Oregon Street, Suite- 607, Portland, Oregon- 97232
Contact Number: 971-673-0520