EMT Training in Pennsylvania
EMT training in the state of Pennsylvania develops the skills of an EMT aspirant to serve common people willingly, in case of any emergency. The Bureau of Emergency Medical Services (BEMS) in Pennsylvania provides certain rules and regulations for EMTs and Paramedics to obtain state licensure. One of them is to clear NREMT (National Registry Emergency Medical Technician) exams. For this, all the applicants need to finish a training course, approved by the US Department of Transportation.
After the successful completion of EMT training, a student can request for obtaining state license. Apart from this, student should also be skilled and well-versed with EMT methods to acquire state license. The state of Pennsylvania offers an easy training curriculum, which includes basic knowledge and skills, required for offering pre-hospital care.
A student masters the skills of ALS (Advanced Life Support) and BLS (Basic Life Support) by going through certain levels of EMT training. After attending EMT training in Pennsylvania, the student becomes ready to offer emergency services during any catastrophe.
Essential EMT Training Requirements
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
What is required to become eligible for enrolling in any training institute? This is a question, which clicks in the mind of every EMT aspirant. EMT training program can be availed by fulfilling the following mandatory requirements:
- An age of 18 years or above is compulsory. Sometimes, there is leverage in age criteria, i.e., in the Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, students having an age of 16 can get admission. In this case, the students need to present with their parents or guardians in the first training class.
- All the candidates should be capable of providing evidence of high school diploma or General Education Development.
- The aspirants are ought to hold an authenticated driving license.
- The EMT students are sometimes asked to show their placement reports.
- All the applicants have to carry a CPR certification, which they require to maintain throughout the training session.
- The aspirants must be able to read at 10th grade level.
- The candidates are required to go through a drug test.
- They have to provide the test reports for criminal background check.
- The applicants have to show reports of various immunizations, like hepatitis B, measles, rubella, mumps, etc.
- The candidates are also required to undergo Tdap vaccination to safeguard themselves from pertussis, chickenpox, tetanus, and diphtheria.
- The applicants are also asked to go through a flu shot, a negative tuberculosis skin PPD test, and a negative chest x-ray.
- All students must be capable of understanding English language.
- Lastly, the potential EMTs must be mentally & physically fit, so that, they can lift a minimum weight of 125 pounds alone and 250 pounds with other’s assistance.
The state of Pennsylvania offers an effective training coursework to the EMT aspirants, which help them to qualify NREMT examinations and obtain a state license, easily. Like other states in United States, Pennsylvania also maintains various levels of EMT training. The training is basically divided according to the skills used at basic and advanced life support emergencies. Therefore, the training levels are:
Basic Life Support (BLS)
This level focuses on the patients suffering from serious injuries or illness. This is a type of pre-hospital medical care, which can be provided without using any medical equipment. In Pennsylvania, the EMT training levels at BLS are:
- EMR (Emergency Medical Responder): It is the basic or primary level of training to gain knowledge of basic life support techniques. Under this level of training, the EMT prospect learns various skills, including:
- Oxygen administration
- Safe use of auto-injector
- Recognize signs and symptoms of illness or injury
- Ventilation management
- Haemorrhage control
- Awareness of hazardous materials
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technician): The second level of training at BLS is EMT. When a student enter this level, he/she is considered to have complete knowledge of basic skills and learns to handle emergencies with advanced techniques, like use of automated transport ventilator, cardiovascular emergencies, neurologic and respiratory emergencies.
Advanced Life Support (ALS)
This is the level, which consists of various advanced life supporting skills and protocols. Student learns about tracheal intubation, needle cricothyrotomy, advanced cardiac support, intravenous cannulation (IV), and advanced medications. The levels of EMT training under ALS medical care in Pennsylvania are as follows:
- EMT-P (Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic): An EMT-P is a first stage of ALS level of EMT training. At this stage of training, students are acquainted with advanced procedures to be applied at the time of emergencies. A student is taught about managing artificial ventilation, usage of multi-lead ECGs, tracheobronchial suctioning, etc.
- PHRN (Pre-hospital Registered Nurse): It is the second stage of training at ALS level, in which, a prospective EMT learns about determining the nature of injury, fluid replacement methods, cardiac resuscitation, shock treatment, advanced method of controlling haemorrhage, spinal immobilization, managing automated external defibrillators, and applying bandages on wounds.
- PHPE (Pre-hospital Physician Extender): PHPE is responsible to perform all EMT skills and use BLS equipments, properly. At this stage, a student learns about assistance during chest tube insertion, use of orogastric and nasogastric tube, use of protective equipments, and work as an advocate for patients.
- PHP (Pre-hospital Physician): It is the last stage of training at ALS level which enables a PHP to determine the nature of injury or illness, advanced airway management, use automatic transporter ventilator, multiple trauma management, interpret ECG tracing, and assistance in moving or lifting patients.
Training Cost and Duration
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
EMT training in Pennsylvania instructs the applicants to develop their skills and utilize them in case of medical, safety, or accidental emergencies. The students can join any state- approved training school by going through two major aspects, i.e., cost and duration of the training program. The length of the training program usually varies from level to level, as:
- EMT- B: The basic level of training gets complete in almost 8-11 weeks.
- EMT- I: The intermediate level of training gets complete in 30-350 hours of training.
- EMT- P: The paramedic level of EMT training takes 2 years to develop effective skills among the students.
Likewise, the cost of EMT training in the state of Pennsylvania is approximately $20,000.
State-Approved EMT Training Schools
Pennsylvania is a state, which has approved a large number of training schools to provide required training coursework to the EMT students. In this state, various universities and colleges are engaged in making a bright career of students in the field of emergency services. The list of EMT training schools, which are approved by the state of Pennsylvania, is:
- Emergency Medical Services Institute
Address: 1002 Church Hill Road, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 15205
Contact number: 412-242-7322
Official Website: http://www.emsi.org/
- California University of Pennsylvania
Address: 250 University Avenue, California, Pennsylvania- 15419
Contact Number: 724-938-4000
Official Website: http://www.calu.edu/
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Address: 1011 South Drive, Indiana, Pennsylvania- 15705
Contact Number: 724-357-2100
Official Website: http://www.iup.edu/
- Community College of Allegheny County
Address: 8701 U.S. Route 19, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 15237
Contact Number: 412-366-7000
Official Website: http://www.ccac.edu/
- Westmoreland County Community College
Address: 145 Pavilion Lane, Youngwood, Pennsylvania- 15697
Contact Number: 724-925-4000 / 1- 800-262-2103
Official Website: https://wccc.edu/
- Butler County Community College
Address: 107 College Drive, Butler, Pennsylvania- 16002
Contact Number: 724-287-8711 / 888-826-2829
Official Website: http://www.bc3.edu/
- Center for Emergency Medicine
Address: 230 McKee Place, Suite- 500, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 15213
Contact Number: 412-647-5300
Official Website: http://www.centerem.org/
- Mutual Aid Ambulance Service
Address: 561 West Otterman Street, Greensburg, Pennsylvania- 15601
Contact Number: 724-837-6134
Official Website: http://www.mutual-aid.com/
- Community College of Beaver County
Address: One Campus Drive, Monaca, Pennsylvania- 15061
Contact Number: 724-480-2222
Official Website: http://www.ccbc.edu/
- Emergency Health Services Federation
Address: 722 Limekiln Road New Cumberland, Pennsylvania- 17070-2354
Contact Number: 717-774-7911
Official Website: http://www.ehsf.org/
- Harrisburg Area Community College
Address: One HACC Drive, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania- 17110-800
Contact Number: 717-780-2400
Official Website: http://www.hacc.edu/
- Eastern Lebanon County School District
Address: 180 ELCO Drive, Myerstown, Pennsylvania- 17067
Contact Number: 717-866-7117
Official Website: http://www.elcosd.org/pages/ELCO
- YTI Career Institute
Address: 2900 Fairway Drive, Altoona, Pennsylvania- 16602
Contact Number: 814-944-5643
Official Website: http://www.yti.edu/
- Pennsylvania College of Technology
Address: One College Avenue, Williamsport, Pennsylvania- 17701
Contact Number: 570-326-3761 / 800-367-9222
Official Website: http://www.pct.edu/schools/hs/
- Cumberland Perry Area Vocational Technical School
Address: 110 Old Willow Mill Road, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania- 17050
Contact Number: 717-697-0354
Official Website: http://www.cpavts.org/
- Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center
Address: 1086 Franklin Street, Johnstown, Pennsylvania- 15905
Contact Number: 814-534-9000
Official Website: http://www.conemaugh.org/template_article.aspx?id=1446
- Pennsylvania Highlands Community College
Address: 101 Community College Way, Johnstown, Pennsylvania- 15904
Contact Number: 888-385-7325
Official Website: http://www.pennhighlands.edu/
- Greater Johnstown Career and Technology Center
Address: 445 Schoolhouse Road, Johnstown, Pennsylvania- 15904
Contact Number: 1-814-266-1300 / 1-888-434-4436
Official Website: http://gjctc.org/
- Eastern PA EMS Council, Inc.
Address: 4801 Kernville Road, Orefield, Pennsylvania- 18069
Contact Number: 610-820-9212
Official Website: http://www.easternemscouncil.org/
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
Address: 4525 Education Park Drive, Schnecksville, Pennsylvania- 18078
Contact Number: 610-799-2121
Official Website: http://www.lccc.edu/
- Northampton Community College
Address: 3835 Green Pond Road, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania- 18020
Contact Number: 610-861-5300
Official Website: http://www.northampton.edu/
- Reading Area Community College
Address: 10 South Second Street, Reading, Pennsylvania- 19603
Contact Number: 610-372-4721
Official Website: http://www.racc.edu/
- Bucks County Emergency Health Services
Address: 911 Freedom Way, Ivyland, Pennsylvania- 18974
Contact Number: 215-340-8735
Official Website: http://www.bcehs.com/
- Fortis Institute
Address: 5757 West 26th Street, Erie, Pennsylvania- 16506
Contact Number: 814-838-7673
Official Website: http://www.fortis.edu/
- EMMCO East Regional EMS Council
Address: 1411 Million Dollar Highway, Kersey, Pennsylvania- 15846-9726
Contact Number: 814-834-9212
Official Website: http://www.emmcoeast.org/
- EMMCO West, Inc.
Address: 16271 Conneaut Lake Road, Meadville, Pennsylvania- 16335
Contact Number: 814-337-5380
Official Website: http://www.emmco.org/
- Chester County EMS Council, Inc.
Address: 601 Westtown Road, Suite- 012, West Chester, Pennsylvania- 19380
Contact Number: 610-344-5000
Official Website: http://www.chescoems.org/
- Good Fellowship Ambulance & EMS Training Institute
Address: 600 Montgomery Avenue, West Chester, Pennsylvania- 19380
Contact Number: 610-431-3132
Official Website: http://www.goodfellowship.com/
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
- Southern Alleghenies EMS Council, Inc.
Address: 123 Olde Farm Office Road, Duncansville, Pennsylvania- 16635
Contact Number: 814-696-3200
Official Website: http://www.saems.com/
- Seven Mountains EMS Council
Address: 523 Dell Street, Bellefonte, Pennsylvania- 16823
Contact Number: 814-355-1474
Official Website: http://www.smemsc.org/
- Susquehanna EHS Council, Inc.
Address: 265 Point Township Drive, Suite D, Northumberland, Pennsylvania- 17857
Contact Number: 570-473-7834
Official Website: http://sehsc.org/
- Delaware County Community College
Address: 901 South Media Line Road, Media, Pennsylvania- 19063
Contact Number: 610-359-5000
Official Website: http://www.dccc.edu/
- Luzerne County Community College
Address: 1333 South Prospect Street, Nanticoke, Pennsylvania- 18634-3899
Contact Number: 1-800-377-5222
Official Website: http://www.luzerne.edu
- Reading Health System
Address: 6th Avenue, Spruce Street, West Reading, Pennsylvania- 19611
Contact Number: 610-988-8000
Official Website: https://www.readinghealth.org/
- Montgomery County
Address: P.O. Box- 311, Norristown, Pennsylvania- 19404-0311
Contact Number: 610-278-3000
Official Website: http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?nid=237
- Lackawanna College
Address: 501 Vine Street, Scranton, Pennsylvania- 18509
Contact Number: 877-346-3552
Official Website: http://www.lackawanna.edu/
- Drexel University
Address: 3141 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- 19104
Contact Number: 215-895-2000
Official Website: http://www.drexel.edu/
- Philadelphia Job Corps Center
Address: 2810 South, 20th Street, Building 12, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania- 19145-5001
Contact Number: 267-386-2888
Official Website: http://philadelphia.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx
- Lancaster County Career and Technology Center
Address: 1730 Hans Herr Drive, Willow Street, Pennsylvania- 17584
Contact Number: 717- 464-7050
Official Website: http://www.lcctc.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=1
Bureau of Emergency Medical Services
Address: Health and Welfare Building, Room 1032,
7th and Forster Streets, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania- 17120
Contact Number: 717-787-8740