EMT Training in Virginia
The state of Virginia provides an appropriate training program for students, who want to excel in the field of Emergency Medical Services. This training program will help the students in developing skills required to be used in case of any serious medical circumstances. The training program also educates several candidates to perform medical care during basic or advanced life support emergencies.
The Virginia Emergency Medical Services Educational Standards (VEMSES) considers training programs laid down by National Emergency Services Educational Standards. The potential EMTs have to qualify written, as well as practical examinations, to obtain a state license. For this purpose, students undergo different levels of training.
Essential EMT Training Requirements
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
It is mandatory for all students to check and fulfil the essential requirements, demanded by the training institutes. In the state of Virginia, the essential requirements to get admission in a training school are:
- It is essential for the candidates to have an age of 16 years during the initial certification process. If the candidate is below 18 years of age, he/she has to submit a duly signed parental permission form to the course coordinator.
- The candidates must possess the ability to read, write and speak English language proficiently.
- The candidates should not be mentally or physically weak.
- The EMT aspirants have to hold a valid CPR certification.
- The candidates have to be free from any criminal activity.
- The prospective EMTs are required not to be under the influence of any drug.
- They are asked to present evidence of high school diploma or General Education Development (GED).
EMT Training Curriculum
In every state, the training curriculum is divided into different levels. At each level, students are taught various methods and techniques to use at the time of basic or advanced life support emergencies. In the state of Virginia, the different stages of training are:
- EMR(Emergency Medical Responder)
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technician)
- AEMT (Advanced Emergency Medical Technician)
- EMT-I (EMT-Intermediate/99)
- CCP (Critical Care Paramedic)
The curriculum that an aspirant can expect to study in the training program is as follows:
- Advanced airway management
- Methods to handle respiratory and cardiac emergencies
- Techniques to control excessive bleeding
- Shock management procedures
- Techniques to use in case of musculoskeletal injuries
- Procedures to identify head, spinal, and neck injury
- Methods to lift and move injured patients
- Techniques to be utilised during emergency delivery
- Understanding basic EMT pharmacology
- Studying the human body
- Techniques to manage trauma
- Procedures to manage IV fluids
- How to handle gynaecological, obstetric, and diabetic emergencies?
- Understanding soft tissue injuries
- Manage environmental and behavioural emergencies
Duration and Cost of EMT Training Coursework
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
Before getting admission in a training school, it is essential for the candidates to evaluate the cost and length of the training program, offered by several training institutes. Basically, the cost of the training coursework in Virginia ranges between $3,485 and $4,050.
Similarly, the length of the training coursework depends on the different levels, which are:
- Emergency Medical Responder: It requires minimum 63 hours to complete this training level.
- Emergency Medical Technician: It requires almost 144 hours of classroom instructions and 10 hours of practical or field instructions.
- Advanced Emergency Medical Technician: This stage usually requires 102 hours of classroom studies along with 48 hours of clinical instructions.
- Emergency Medical Technician- Intermediate: It requires 272 hours of instructions and 68 hours of extensive clinical rotations.
- Paramedic: This stage requires 781 hours of instructive training along with 136 hours of extensive clinical rotations.
State-Approved EMT Schools
EMT training schools in Virginia helps a student to build a glorified career in EMS. The list of various EMT training schools is mentioned below:
- Virginia Highlands Community College
Address: P.O. Box 828, Abingdon, Virginia- 24212
Contact Number: 276-739-2400 / 877-207-6115
Official Website: http://www.vhcc.edu/
- Southside Virginia Community College
Address: 109 Campus Drive, Alberta, Virginia- 23821
Contact Number: 434-949-1000
Official Website: http://www.southside.edu/
- Northern Virginia Community College
Address: 8333, Little River Turnpike, Annandale, Virginia- 22003
Contact Number: 703-323-3000 / 877-408-2028
Official Website: http://www.nvcc.edu/index.html
- Mountain Empire Community College
Address: 3441 Mountain Empire Road, Big Stone Gap, Virginia- 24219
Contact Number: 276-523-2400
Official Website: http://www.me.vccs.edu/
- Piedmont Virginia Community College
Address: 501 College Drive, Charlottesville, Virginia- 22902
Contact Number: 434-977-3900
Official Website: http://www.pvcc.edu/
- Thomas Nelson Community College
Address: 99 Thomas Nelson Drive, Hampton, Virginia- 23666
Contact Number: 757-825-2700
Official Website: http://tncc.edu/
- Central Virginia Community College
Address: 3506 Wards Road, Lynchburg, Virginia- 24502-2498
Contact Number: 434-832-7600
Official Website: http://cvcc.vccs.edu/
- Patrick Henry Community College
Address: 645 Patriot Avenue, Martinsville, Virginia- 24112
Contact Number: 276-638-8777
Official Website: http://www.ph.vccs.edu/
- Tidewater Community College
Address: 121 College Place, Norfolk, Virginia- 23510-1938
Contact Number: 800-371-0898
Official Website: http://www.tcc.edu/
- Southwest Virginia Community College
Address: 724 Community College Road, Cedar Bluff, Virginia-24609
Contact Number: 276-964-2555 / 276-964-7238
Official Website: http://sw.edu/
- J Sargeant Reynolds Community College
Address: 1851 Dickinson Road, Goochland, Virginia- 23063
Contact Number: 804-371-3000
Official Website: http://reynolds.edu/site/home.aspx
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences
Address: 101 Elm Avenue, Southeast Roanoke, Virginia- 24013
Contact Number: 1-888-985-8483
Official Website: http://www.jchs.edu/
- National College
Address: 1515 Country Club Road, Harrisonburg, Virginia- 22802
Contact Number: 540-432-0943
Official Website: http://www.national-college.edu/
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!
You can get solution of your enquiries by writing or calling to
Virginia Department of Health OEMS
Office of Emergency Medical Services
Virginia Department of Health
Address: 1041 Technology Park Drive, Glen Allen, Virginia- 23059-4500
Contact Number: 804-888-9100