EMT courses make a student capable of providing pre-hospital care to the patients of severe emergencies. An EMT course involves classroom, clinical, as well as field training that include all topics related to emergency medical services, such as ventilation, oxygenation, cardiology, along with other emergencies. After completing the course, the student has to appear in an examination, which finally indicates the completion of the course.
Eligibility for Enrolling into an EMT Course
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
- Age of 18 years or more.
- A valid driving license of that state.
- GED or high school diploma.
- A valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Criminal background check.
- Physical power and excellent mental health.
- Vaccination proofs of the following diseases:
- Hepatitis B
Objectives of the Course
The main aims of the coursework of EMT course are:
- To familiarized candidates with the roles of an emergency medical technician in the health care system.
- To give the candidate an idea about the scope of practice of an EMT.
- To make candidates understand the medical terminologies, correctly.
- To enable the candidates to perform the job of an EMT more efficiently, and according to the standards of the respective state.
It is important that the potential candidate must buy the required materials before the beginning of the EMT course as it will help him/her to study and understand the topics in a better way.
- Textbook & Supplement: The candidates are required to purchase the textbook, as well as the supplements before the EMT class begins.
- Workbook: The aspirants should also buy a workbook along with the textbook of the course.
- Internet Connection: The students must possess a proper internet connection, which will allow them to access the course companion website of the college or training school. The candidate is provided with an access to the course companion website since the beginning of the EMT class.
- Suitable Dress: During the clinical or ambulance training, the candidate must wear closed-toe shoes, along with a plain white-collared shirt and black/dark blue slacks.
Duration of the Course
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
The duration of an EMT course in United States differs from level-to-level. Therefore, the time-duration of three main levels of EMT course are:
- EMT-Basic: 110-120 hours of training
- EMT-Intermediate: 200-400 hours of training
- EMT-Paramedics: 1000 or more hours
Fee of the Course
The approximate fee of all levels of EMT courses ranges between $400 and $10,000. Though, it may vary from college to college.
Also, if a student needs financial assistance for pursuing an EMT course, there are several organizations or private bodies in almost every state that provide grants and scholarships to complete the training.
For instance, ‘National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians’ in Mississippi provides a scholarship of $500 to emergency medical responders, who want to pursue EMT-basic training, $5,000 to EMT-basic candidates, who want to take EMT-paramedic training, and up to $2,000 to paramedic candidates, who want to get more advanced training in the field of Emergency Medical Services.
Online EMT Courses
If a student wishes to pursue an online hybrid EMT course, he/she can check for various EMT training programs that suit their requirements. Online EMT courses allow the student to learn from home and give them the facility to ask from the faculty, who are available at online office hours. It is best-suited for highly-motivated and tech-savvy students. Many training centers offer hybrid courses, which enable students to learn both in classrooms, as well as at home through online sessions.
The online/hybrid courses include lecture modules, online textbooks/workbooks, computer assignments, at least hour-long online classes, and around eight sessions of 10-hour skills examination.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!