EMT Exams in Maryland
EMT exams in Maryland are conducted by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). But, in order to become eligible for the NREMT exams, candidates must first complete the Emergency Medical Technician training from a state-approved training institute. The exams are divided into two sections- cognitive and psychomotor, which should be passed by the candidate to gain eligibility for appearing in the exams.
NREMT is a non-profit agency, which gives national as well as state certification to those candidates, who want to pursue the profession of Emergency Medical Technician.
Cognitive and Psychomotor Exams
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
Cognitive exam, which is a computer adaptive test (CAT), consists of about 70-120 questions, and the candidates must answer it in a fixed duration of 2 hours. It covers topics, such as:
- EMS Operations
- Medical Operations
Psychomotor exams in Maryland scrutinize the candidate’s practical skills in handling the different traumatic situations. It mostly includes the following topics:
- Oral Station
- Patient Assessment – Trauma
- Cardiac Management Skills
- Pediatric Skills
- Ventilatory Management
- IV and Medication Skills
- Random Basic Skills
Examination Registration & Scheduling Procedure
After it has been established that the candidate is eligible to give the examination, he/she will receive an eligibility postcard from the PSI, which will bear the instructions for the registration, payment and scheduling of the exam. The candidate should keep the following points in mind:
- They need to pass the examination within the authorization period of 6 months.
- If the candidate does not succeed in clearing the examination in one attempt, they can clear the test in 2 more attempts, but only within the authorization period of 6 months.
The candidate must make sure that the registration form is correctly filled and signed, and the right amount of the fee has been assigned. The candidate must pay the fee while doing the registration itself.
Registration & Scheduling through the Internet
Internet registration is so far the best way to register and schedule for the EMT test. You may require a valid VISA or MasterCard for the internet registration. For doing online registration, you will have to visit the PSI’s website, i.e. www.psiexams.com. This site remains activated 24 hours a day. You need to complete the following steps for online registration:
- Choose the link stating Maryland examinations by signing into the PSI’s website. Now, fill the online registration form and submit it to the website.
- Once you have completed the form, you will receive the list of date and centers that are available for giving the exam. You can choose any date and examination center as per your convenience.
Registration & Scheduling through Telephone
Telephone registration is also one of the best ways for doing the exam registration and scheduling, which either uses the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) for doing registration in the non-business hours, or live registrars in the business hours. It also requires a valid VISA or MasterCard. For filling the registration form, you need to provide the credit card details and its expiry date.
Registration & Scheduling through Fax
You are required to obtain a valid MasterCard or VISA in order to do the fax registration. Fill the registration form by entering the number and the expiry date of your credit card.
- You can get registered through fax anytime as this facility is available 24 hours a day.
- The form will be sent back to you if the details provided in it are inaccurate or incomplete.
Registration & Scheduling through Standard Mail
Standard mail registration is beneficial for those candidates, who do not like to disclose their credit card information on the internet or phone. In this type of registration, the examination fee is paid either through cashier’s check or money order, payable to the PSI. You can either make the payment through cashier’s check or money order, payable to the PSI. In order to ensure the proper assignment of your fees, print your name on the money order or cashier’s check.
Important Note: Payments in the form of cash, personal checks or company checks will not be accepted.
Rescheduling the Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
The candidate is not allowed to reschedule his/her examination appointment on the same day on which, he/she has given the examination. This is due to several reasons, like scoring and processing. For example, if a candidate gives an exam on Wednesday, and wants to take a re-test, he/she can reschedule it on Thursday or Friday. You can use telephone, mail or the internet in order to get registered.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
The registration of the candidate will be termed as invalid and he/she will not be allowed to take the exam while also losing the fee in the following cases:
- If the candidate fails to inform about the cancellation of his/her examination appointment 2 days before the scheduled date.
- If the student reaches the examination site after the exam has begun.
- If the candidate doesn’t reach for giving the scheduled test.
- If the aspirant doesn’t provide proper ID proof at the examination hall.
Reporting to the Examination Site
The candidate should arrive at the exam center 30 minutes before the scheduled time for the sake of getting acquainted with the process of the exam. It will also give you plenty of time for signing-in and getting your documents verified.
Important Note: If the candidate reaches late, he/she may not be allowed to enter the examination hall and will also lose the test fee.
You are required to submit the following documents at the examination site:
- A valid government-issued identification proof. It can be a state ID, passport, driving license or military ID, and must contain the signature and the photograph of the candidate.
- Secondly, the candidate must also provide an identification proof that must possess his/her signatures along with a pre-printed legal name.
- Intermediate & Paramedic candidates must present their current certification card. If they don’t have it, they can provide a reinstatement letter of the OEMS.
Important Note: All the candidates must ensure that the name specified on their identification proofs matches the name given on the registration form.
There are some strict guidelines for the examination, which must be followed by every student. They are:
- The candidates are not allowed to bring the following things along with them at the examination center:
- Cell phones
- Any type of electronic device
- Drinking, eating and smoking are strictly not allowed in the exam hall.
- If a candidate gives or receives any type of assistance, or if caught with unapproved materials, he/she will be directed to leave the exam hall immediately.
- Once the candidate has been seated to give the examination, he/she can leave the testing site only after seeking permission from the examiner.
- If a candidate is found copying or asking/telling the content of the examination, it will be considered as the violation of the security rules, and may lead to the cancellation of the exam results or a legal action can also be taken against the candidate.
The results of the exam will be sent to the candidate by the NREMT in the form of the performance feedback. However, if the aspirant remains unsuccessful in the exam, he/she may re-register after 15 days of the last test.
Candidates are given 6 attempts to clear the examination, but for that, they must fulfil all the requirements of the National EMS Certification. After appearing in 3 attempts, the candidates will get 3 more attempts to give the examination only after submitting the documents that officially prove that they have completed the 24 hours of remedial training. However, if you fail to clear the examination in all the 6 attempts, you will have to go through the entire EMT training course again.
Tips for Preparing for the Exams
- Pick the best study guides and do a thorough study of them.
- Practice online sample papers and keep a time-check. This will help you to learn time-management and enables you to attempt all the questions.
- Write notes while you study. Make flashcards to memorize the things.
- Be prepared with all the documents that are required to provide at the examination hall.
- Have a positive attitude while appearing for the test.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!