EMT Exams in Massachusetts
The candidates must complete the Emergency Medical Technician program from a state-approved center in order to become eligible for the EMT exams in Massachusetts. These examinations are conducted by a non-profit organization, named the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). However, Massachusetts doesn’t consider the NREMT exam as the basis for certification, and the candidate has to appear for the state exam.
Components of the EMT Exam
Cognitive exams are taken through computers, and must be completed within 2 hours. It comprises of 70-120 questions, which covers topics, such as cardiology, oxygenation, ventilation, medical operations, trauma, airway, and EMS operations.
Psychomotor exams are out-of-hospital exams, which test the practical skills of a candidate in handling various emergency situations. Candidates can also bring their own equipment in this examination. The questions in the test are generally taken from the following topics:
- Ventilatory Management
- IV and Medication Skills
- Oral Station
- Patient Assessment- Trauma
- Pediatric Skills
- Random Basic Skills
- Cardiac Management Skills
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
You will get an eligibility postcard from the PSI, in case; you are deemed as eligible to appear for the examination. The postcard will contain directions on how to do the registration, scheduling, as well as the payment of the registration fee. You must remember the following points:
- You need to get success in the test within the 6-month authorization time.
- If you fail to crack the exam, you will get 2 more opportunities to give the examination, but, in the authorized period of 6 months.
You need to make the payment of the fee while doing the registration. Make sure that you submit the completed and correctly filled and signed form along with the accurate amount of the fee.
Important Note: The registration fee is non-refundable, and it expires with the expiration of your eligibility for appearing in the test.
Registration and Scheduling via Internet
You can register through the internet, which is the fastest way of registration and scheduling for the exam. For this, you must have a valid VISA or MasterCard. Online registration, which is available twenty-four hours a day, can be done by accessing the PSI’s website, i.e. www.psiexams.com. In order to do online registration, you need to follow the below provided steps:
- Begin by signing into the PSI’s website and selecting the link related to Massachusetts examination. Fill the online registration form and submit your details on the website.
- After completing the form, the available date and centers for the test will get displayed in front of you. Select the date and center according to your preferences.
Registration and Scheduling via Telephone
You can also register for the examination through telephone, both in business hours (via live registrars), as well as in non-business hours (through the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response system). For registration through telephone, you need to provide the details of your valid MasterCard or VISA.
Registration and Scheduling via Fax
Before registering through fax, you must obtain a valid VISA or MasterCard.
- Fill the registration form providing the details, like credit card number and expiry date, and fax it. The fax registration facility is accessible 24 hours a day.
- If the information given by you is erroneous or incomplete, you will get it back for rectification.
Registration and Scheduling via Standard Mail
Another way to register for the examination, which will allow you to pay through cashier’s check or money order, is standard mail. This mode of registration is the best for those candidates, who do not want to share their credit card details on the internet or phone. If you wish to register through this process, follow the steps provided below:
- Fill the PSI registration form, attach the registration fee with it, and then submit it to the PSI.
- You can pay through money order or cashier’s check payable to the PSI. But, make sure that the fee is assigned by printing your name on the cashier’s check or money order.
Important Note: Personal/company checks and cash will not be accepted.
Rescheduling the Examination
You will not be able to re-appoint the test on the similar day on which, you gave the examination, due to the processing and scoring reasons. You can only re-apply the next day after you appear for the examination, and can re-appear the very next day. You have the option of registering for the re-examination either through the internet, mail or telephone. The registration and scheduling steps will remain same as stated above.
Late Cancellation or Missed Appointment
Your registration will turn out to be invalid, and you will not be allowed to sit for the examination on the scheduled date, while also losing the examination fee in the following cases:
- If you reach the examination center after the exam has started.
- If you don’t cancel your exam appointment two days before the scheduled date.
- If you do not appear for the exam.
- If you do not provide proper ID proof at the examination center.
Reporting to the Examination Site
It is mandatory that you must reach at the examination center at least 30 minutes before the commencement of the exam. It will give you time to sign-in and verify your identification proofs. You will also get the enough time to know the examination process.
Important Note: If you reach late, you will not be allowed to enter the test center and your registration fee will also not be refunded.
The documents that must be submitted at the test site are:
- Two identification proofs- one must be a government issued valid driving license, military ID, state ID or a passport along with the photograph and signature of the candidate. The second identification proof must contain the candidate’s pre-printed legal name, as well as the signature. You must ensure that all the identification proofs provided by you should bear the same name as on the registration form.
- Paramedic and EMT-Intermediate candidates will have to present their current certification card at the examination center. In case, if they don’t have the current one, they can provide their OEMS reinstatement letter.
You are ought to follow the below given rules:
- Any type of electronic device, such as calculators, mobile phones, pagers, etc., is strictly prohibited in the examination hall.
- You cannot bring along children, as well as things, like backpacks, books, notes, etc.
- You can’t eat, drink or smoke in the exam hall.
- If you are caught breaching the examination rules, such as cheating or taking assistance from the other candidate, you will be asked to leave the examination hall instantly.
- You can’t leave the examination hall without the proctor’s permission. You can leave the exam hall only if you want to use the restroom.
- If the examiner catches you while copying the examination content, which is strictly considered as a violation of the examination rules, then it may lead to serious consequences, such as a legal action or cancellation of the exam results.
Whether you are successful or unsuccessful in the examination, you will receive a performance feedback from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT).
You will be given 6 attempts to clear the examination provided you fulfil all the requirements needed for the national EMS certification. After you have attempted thrice, you must submit official documents that will verify that you have completed the remedial program of 24 hours. Then, you will get 3 more opportunities to clear the examination. If you fail to pass the exam in all the 6 attempts, you will have to take the EMT program again.
Tips for Preparing for the EMT Exams
- Select a good study guide, and go through all the questions. Mark the one, which you miss out or answer incorrectly, so that, you can know later what you need to improve on.
- Study in groups. It is really effective as it helps to learn and understand the tough topics more easily.
- Be honest to yourself and study those topics first, with which, you are most comfortable.
- Practice different types of flash cards. Flash cards are an easy way of preparing for several subjects.
- Keep a cool attitude when you reach the examination center.