EMT Exams in Maine
If a candidate wants to become a certified EMT in the state of Maine, he/she must successfully pass the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) examination. But, first of all, the candidate must complete the EMT program from a state-approved program center. NREMT exams are divided into two portions – cognitive and psychomotor, and passing both the sections is imperative to get the certification.
NREMT is a non-profit organization, which grants certification to the EMT candidates while making them eligible to practice their skills and profession.
Cognitive and Psychomotor Exams
The cognitive exam is taken through the computer. You are provided a limited time of 2 hours to finish your test. This exam tests the candidate’s knowledge about various topics, such as ventilation, EMS operations, cardiology, airway management, oxygenation, medical and trauma.
Psychomotor exam tests the aspirant’s practical skills to handle different trauma situations. It covers topics, like:
- Bleeding Control & Shock Management
- BVM Apneic Patients
- Oral Station
- Static Cardiology
- Spinal/Joint and Long Bone Immobilization
- Pediatric Respiratory Compromise
- Cardiac Arrest Management
- Intravenous Therapy
- Pediatric Respiratory Compromise
- Adult Ventilatory and Pediatric Management
- Oxygen Administration
Examination Registration & Scheduling Procedure
If the candidate meets all the pre-requisites that are needed to become eligible to take the exam, he/she will receive an eligibility postcard from the PSI. This postcard contains instructions for registration, fee payment, as well as for scheduling the EMT exam.
- The candidate is needed to qualify the examination in 6 months authorization period.
- If he/she fails, only 2 more attempts will be given to appear for the test within the authorization period of 6 months.
It is important to pay the fee while doing the registration. Make sure, the registration form is correctly filled and signed, and includes the correct amount of fee.
Internet Registration & Scheduling
The internet is the best and fastest methods to do registration and scheduling the exam. Candidates can do the online registration through the PSI’s website – www.psiexams.com. The service of registration via internet is accessible 24 hours a day. You need to possess a valid VISA or MasterCard in order to register online. Follow the below given steps to complete the online registration:
- Sign into PSI’s website and choose the link related to the Maine examinations.
- Now, fill the online registration form and submit your details.
- After you are done by filling the online registration form, you will get the available examination dates and centers to take the exam. Select the date and location of your preference, and schedule your test.
Telephone Registration & Scheduling
Telephone registration is also one of the best methods to register and schedule for EMT exams. You need to obtain a valid MasterCard or VISA in order to do the telephone registration. It can be done through live registrars in business hours, whereas Interactive Voice Response System makes the registration possible in non-business hours. You need to complete the registration form by providing the details, like your credit card number and its expiry date.
Fax Registration & Scheduling
Candidates can also register themselves through fax. While registering through fax, you must have a valid VISA or MasterCard.
- Fill the exam registration form along with details, such as expiry date and number of the credit card.
- Now, fax it to (702) 932-2666. The facility of fax is available twenty-four hours a day.
- Your registration form will be returned back to you for correction, if the information provided in it is inaccurate or incomplete.
Standard Mail Registration & Scheduling
This is the best method of registration and scheduling for those candidates, who do not want to share their credit card details over the phone or internet as this facilitates the payment of registration fee via money order or cashier’s check. You need to follow the below given steps in order to do registration via standard mail:
- Fill the registration form.
- Attach the cashier’s check or money order (payable to the PSI) of the requisite amount with your form.
- Ensure that your name is printed on the check or money order.
Important Note: Personal checks, company checks, and cash will not be accepted.
Rescheduling the Examination
If the candidate wishes to re-apply for the examination, he/she can do this on the next day of the scheduled examination date. However, it can’t be done on the same day due to the processing reasons. The candidate can only re-apply on the next day of his/her previous examination, and can eventually give the examination the very next day. The registration can be done either through the internet, telephone or mail.
Late Cancellation or Missed Appointment
The registration will be supposed as invalid, and the candidate will not be able to appear for the examination and also lose the examination fee in the following cases:
- If the candidate fails to provide a valid ID proof at the examination site.
- If the aspirant does not cancel his/her appointment two days before the examination date.
- If the candidate reaches late (after the exam has begun) at the examination center.
- If the student does not appear for the scheduled test.
Reporting to the Examination Site
The candidates must reach the examination site at least ½ hour before the scheduled time. It helps the candidate to get familiar with the process of the examination while giving them enough time to sign-in, as well as for the verification of their ID proofs.
Important Note: If the candidate arrives late at the examination center, he/she will not be permitted to enter. He/she will also lose the examination fee.
Following ID proofs must be submitted by the candidates:
- Two valid identification proofs – The government issued passport, military ID, state ID, driving license. It should have your photo and signature. The second ID proof must possess the candidate’s pre-printed legal name and the signature. It is important that the name on all the identification proofs matches the one on the exam registration form.
- EMT-I and Paramedic candidates must provide their current EMT certification card. If they don’t possess the current certification card, they can provide a reinstatement letter of the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS).
Candidates should keep the following rules in mind:
- You cannot bring books, calculators, backpacks, cell phones, pagers, etc. in the examination hall. Though, small wallets are allowed, but not the big purses.
- Drinking, smoking or eating is strictly prohibited in the examination hall.
- Once the examination has begun, you can leave the examination hall only after receiving the permission of the proctor.
- If any candidate is caught cheating, or violating any of the examination rules, he/she may be asked to leave the examination hall.
- Copying or sharing the examination matter is considered as the violation of the security rules, and therefore, it will result in the cancellation of the exam results or legal action shall be taken.
Candidates will receive their performance feedback from the NREMT. Through this feedback, you can know whether you have passed or failed the exam. They can apply for re-examination after 15 days of giving the last test.
Candidates are provided a total of 6 attempts to clear the examination. After appearing for 3 attempts, they must provide the official papers proving that they have finished 24 hours of remedial program. Then, the candidate is provided 3 more attempts to clear the exam if he/she fulfils all the requirements for the national certification. If the candidates fail in all the 6 attempts, they will have to take the entire EMT program again.
Tips for Preparing for EMT Exams
- Pick the right study material and study it thoroughly.
- Design a formal study plan and follow it sincerely.
- Instead of concealing your weaknesses, work on them to crack the exam in one attempt.
- Practice a lot. Keep practicing sample papers regularly and test yourself. This will give you an idea of the pattern and format of the actual exam. You can also learn time-management through online practice tests.
- Be mentally prepared, and stay calm on the day of the examination.