EMT Exams in North Dakota
If a candidate wishes to obtain an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate in North Dakota, he/she has to successfully clear the NREMT exams.
This exam measures the candidate’s level of competency and skills of delivering emergency care. The EMT exam is based on a curriculum designed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Every state conducts its own examination based on the same syllabus as that of the NREMT. This exam is accepted in all the states of the United States of America.
Components of the Exam
The cognitive exam is a computer adaptive test (CAT), conducted by the NREMT. This exam measures the student’s dexterity in providing safe and successful emergency care skills. To clear this exam, the candidate will have to answer 70-120 questions within 2 hours. In this exam, the candidates can expect questions from the following topics:
- Respiration and ventilation
- Medical & Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Cardiology & Resuscitation
- EMS Operations
Once answered, a candidate cannot go back and change his/her answer. To clear this exam, an applicant has to meet the criteria by delivering good emergency care skills, which has to be effective and safe.
The questions in the psychomotor exams are generally raised from the given below topics:
- Bag-valve-mask ventilation of an apneic patient
- Bleeding Control
- Shock Management
- Joint Immobilization
- Patient management/assessment of a medical patient
- Traction Splinting
- Spinal Immobilization Supine
- BVM Ventilation
- Patient management/assessment of a trauma patient
- Cardiac Arrest AED
- Medical Assessment
- Long Bone Immobilization
- Oxygen Administration
- Upper Airway Adjuncts and Suction
- Trauma Assessment
- Oxygen Administration
- Spinal Immobilization Seated
Every state conducts its own EMT psychomotor exam. Along with cognitive exams, it’s essential to pass the psychomotor examination in order to get hold of the EMT certificate.
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
A candidate can register for the exam any time a day. All the below given registration services are available 24 hours a day.
Registering and Scheduling via Internet
- It is necessary for an applicant to have a valid Master or VISA card before proceeding for the registration.
- To register via the internet, the candidate can visit the PSI’s registration website- www.psiexams.com.
- The student must provide correct information in the registration form.
- The candidate needs to fill up the expiry date and the number of the MasterCard or VISA to pay the examination fee.
- After the registration procedure is done, the candidate can select from the next available examination dates and locations to schedule the test.
Registering and Scheduling via Telephone
In order to register through telephone, an applicant must have a VISA or MasterCard and it has to be legitimate.
- During the business hours, an applicant can complete the registration through the PSI’s registrars.
- If a student wishes to complete the registration procedure during non-business hours, he/she can register via the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response System (IVR).
- It is necessary for a candidate to provide the number and expiry date of the Master or VISA card to pay the fee.
- Once the registration form is accepted, an applicant will receive the available exam dates and locations. The candidate can select his/her preferred location and date to schedule the exam.
Registering and Scheduling via Fax
Fax registration requires a legitimized Master or Visa card.
- The candidate needs to fill the registration form correctly in order to register.
- After filling the form, an applicant requires to provide the expiry date and the number of the Visa or Master card in order to make the payment of the exam fee.
- The student can fax the form to the PSI, once it has been filled completely.
- If, in case, inaccurate information is provided by the candidate, then the form will be returned to him/her in order to make the improvements.
- After faxing the form to PSI, a candidate can choose from the available dates and schedule his/her exam.
Note: Fax registration takes 4 business days to process.
Registering and Scheduling via Standard Mail
- This facility is for those students, who don’t have a Visa or Master card or who don’t wish to share their card number and other related details.
- The candidate has to fill the application form and provide the required information.
- To make the payment, the candidate has to assign the money order or cashier’s check of requisite amount to the PSI.
- After filling the form, an applicant can send this form to the PSI along with the check or money order.
Note: Cash, personal checks and company checks are not acceptable. This procedure takes 2 weeks to process.
Cancellation and Rescheduling of an Examination Appointment
In order to cancel the scheduled exam, the student has to notify the PSI about the cancellation, 2 days before the appointed examination. The test fee will be refunded, once the notification of cancellation is received. The student can also use the automated system to cancel the exam. This service is available 24 hours a day.
In order to reschedule an exam, the candidate has to follow the same procedure as mentioned above.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
The applicant’s fee will be forfeited, his/her registration will be cancelled, and he/she won’t be permitted to sit in the exam if he/she fails in any of the following:
- If a candidate fails to show proper identification, or
- If a candidate remains absent during the exam, or
- If a student fails to notify the cancellation 2 days ahead of the appointed exam, or
- If a student arrives after the exam starts.
Reporting to the Examination Site
The candidate must arrive at least ½ an hour earlier than the commencement of the exam. An applicant must bring 2 identification forms with him/her to complete the necessitated verification and sign-in procedure. The first identification form must have the candidate’s signature, photograph and full name. It may include driver’s licence, state ID, passport or military ID, and must be issued by the government. The second identification form must contain the candidate’s legally pre-printed name and signature.
The EMT Paramedic and Intermediate students must bring their current Emergency Medical Technician certification card. If they fail to provide the current one, then they can bring a reinstatement letter provided by the Office of Medical Services (OEMS).
Exam Results and Retest Information
The NREMT updates the exam results after 24 hours of the last exam. The student can log-in to the NREMT’s password-secured website to see his/her available result. The candidates can pass the exam by meeting the laid criteria. The NREMT offers the national certification credential to those students, who get success in the test.
You will be provided with the performance sheet by the NREMT if you fail to crack the exam. The sheet will be based on your performance and rate your performance as “near”, “average”, or “below”.
The candidate can apply for a retest after 15 days of the last examination. A total of 6 opportunities will be provided to pass the exam. After 3 chances, you are supposed to provide the necessitated official identification documents. In another 3 attempts, the candidate has to provide other required documents for the national certification.
After being unsuccessful in all the six attempts, an applicant has to repeat the entire EMT coursework.
Tips for Preparing for the Exams
- Concentrate on topics, like respiration and airway.
- Review on-screen tests to clear the confusions.
- Study from the EMT textbook, notes, references and other study materials.
- Take a good night sleep.
- Eat a balanced diet on the day of the exam.
- Read each question carefully for 45-50 seconds.
- Before answering, understand what exactly has been asked in the question.
- Don’t stick to one question if you don’t know the answer. Instead, go to the next one.
- Stay calm during the test.