EMT Exams in Utah
The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) conducts EMT exams in Utah. The NREMT is a non-profit agency, which provides certification to all those candidates, who wish to work as an EMT in their state. In order to appear for the examination, the student must first complete the training of required hours from a state-approved college or institute. After passing the test, the aspirant will be entitled to practice the profession of an Emergency Medical Technician.
Components of the EMT Exams
In this CAT (Computer Adaptive Test), the candidate needs to answer in a fixed time of 2 hours. It consists of about 70-120 questions, which examines the student’s knowledge in the areas of trauma, airway, EMS operations, ventilation, medical operations, oxygenation and cardiology.
The psychomotor exam evaluates the practical ability of a student in managing the medical emergencies. The topics include:
- Cardiac Management Skills
- Patient Assessment – Trauma
- Pediatric Skills
- Ventilatory Management
- Oral Station
- IV and Medication Skills
- Random Basic Skills
Examination Registration and Scheduling Procedure
The PSI will send an eligibility postcard to the applicant if he/she meets all the requirements needed to give the examination. The eligibility postcard will have registration, scheduling and fee payment instructions enlisted in it.
- It is important for the candidate to pass the examination within the authorization period of six months.
- If the student remains unsuccessful in clearing the exam, he/she will be given 2 more opportunities to clear the test in the authorization period of 6 months.
You must make the fee payment while doing the registration for the exam. Also, you should ensure that the registration form is duly and correctly filled, as well as signed along with the proper amount of the fee.
Internet Registration and Scheduling
The internet is the most rapid forms of communication; therefore, it is recommended to EMT candidates that they should register and schedule through the internet. Online registration can be done anytime and from anywhere through the PSI’s website: www.psiexams.com. The applicants are required to obtain a valid MasterCard or VISA in order to do the internet registration.
- Sign into the website of the PSI, and choose the link related to Utah examinations. Fill the registration form and submit your details to the website.
- As soon as the candidate is done by filling the online form, he/she will get the list of dates and examination centers that are available for giving the exam. The applicant can select the date and center as per his/her choice.
Telephone Registration and Scheduling
The second best way to register and schedule for the EMT examination is through the telephone. Aspirants can register during the business hours via live registrars, while during the non-business hours; they can use the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system. The candidate will have to obtain a valid MasterCard or VISA in order to do the telephone registration. You will be asked to provide your credit card details, like its number and expiry date, over the phone.
Fax Registration and Scheduling
In order to do the fax registration, the candidate is needed to obtain a valid MasterCard or VISA.
- Fill the registration form with information, like the credit card number and expiry date, and fax it.
- If the information given by the aspirant is inaccurate or incomplete, he/she will get back the registration form for rectifications.
Registration and Scheduling via Standard Mail
If you wish to keep your credit card information confidential, standard mail registration is the best. Through this method, you can pay through money order or cashier’s check.
- Fill the registration form and attach the cashier’s check or money order of the correct fee amount with it. Submit it to the PSI.
- Make sure that your name is printed on the check or money order. It is important to assign the fee properly.
Important Note: The payment of the fees through company checks, personal checks and cash is not allowed.
Rescheduling the Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
Candidates cannot apply for a re-appointment immediately on the same day of giving the exam due to several reasons, like processing and scoring. Aspirants can only apply the next day of the examination. The registration and scheduling steps will be the same as specified earlier. The re-registration can be carried out through the phone, internet or mail.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
In the following cases, the registration will be considered as invalid, and the candidate will not be allowed to sit for the exam, while losing his/her exam fee.
- If the student does not provide valid ID proof at the examination site.
- If you do not turn up for a scheduled exam.
- If the applicant does not cancel the appointment 2 days prior to the scheduled date.
- If the aspirant reaches the test center after the commencement of the exam.
Reporting to the Examination Site
It is mandatory for the candidates to arrive at least 30 minutes before the scheduled time of the examination. It will give them time for signing-in and getting their identification proofs verified at the exam hall while also getting familiar with the testing procedure.
Important Note: If the applicant arrives late at the examination center, he/she may not be permitted to take the test. Also, his/her examination fee will get forfeited.
The aspirant must provide the following documents:
- He/she must present a valid government-issued identification proof, like a state ID, driving license, passport or military ID, which must contain his/her signature and photograph.
- He/she also needs to present an ID proof containing his/her pre-printed legal name, as well as the signature.
- EMT Paramedics and Intermediate candidates need to present their current certification card at the examination site. If they don’t possess their certification cards, they can also provide their reinstatement letter issued by the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS).
Some important security rules to be followed while reporting:
- Smoking, drinking and eating are strictly prohibited during the examination.
- Candidates are not allowed to bring electronic devices, such as cell phones, calculators, pagers, etc. in the exam hall.
- Backpack, books, notes and large purses are not allowed in the test center. Also, applicants cannot bring their children at the examination site.
- Once the student has seated for giving the exam, he/she can leave the examination hall only for going to the restroom and that too after seeking the permission of the proctor.
- If any candidate is caught taking or giving assistance during the examination, or found with any type of unauthorized materials, it will be termed as a violation of the exam rules, and he/she will be asked to leave the test center immediately.
- Also, copying during the examination is strictly considered as a violation of the security rules, and it will lead to a legal action against the applicant or cancellation of his/her results.
The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) will send the performance feedback to all the candidates, who have appeared for the EMT test, irrespective of whether they have passed or failed. The student can apply for the re-examination after 15 days of appearing in the last exam.
Aspirants are provided with total 6 attempts to pass the examination. But, they need to fulfil all the pre-requisites of the national EMS certification. After 3 attempts, the candidate has to submit the official papers, which verify that he/she has completed 24 hours of remedial training. Now, he/she is provided with 3 more opportunities to clear the exam. If the candidate still fails to clear the test in all the 6 attempts, he/she will have no option other than completing the entire EMT course again.
Tips for Preparing for the EMT Exams
- Select a good study guide from the available ones and get prepared for the exams by thoroughly reading from it.
- It is important that you learn the basic concepts well in order to understand the overall subjects better.
- Practice a lot by solving the sample papers, which are available online as well as in the market. This will help you in learning the time management and getting familiar with the exam format.
- Be ready with all the materials, like ID proofs, etc. before the examination day approaches.
- The last, but not the least, take a good sleep the night before the test day in order to keep you calm and relaxed.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!