EMT Exams in Vermont
EMT exams in Vermont are organized in order to ensure the expertness and adroitness of the prospective Emergency Medical Technicians. These tests are conducted by the NREMT (National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians), a non-profit organization that aims to certify the EMT candidate of all the states. In order to become eligible for giving the exams, the aspirants are ought to undergo a state-recognized program program.
Components of the EMT Exams
Cognitive exams are taken through computers, and that’s why, also called as a Computer Adaptive Test (CAT). This test includes several subjects, like airway & breathing, medical operations, cardiology, EMS operations, ventilation, trauma, obstetrics, and paediatrics. The examination is of two hours duration and consists of about 70-120 questions.
It is a practical exam, which is conducted in an out-of the hospital setting in order to test the candidate’s practical skills to handle the emergency situations. This examination includes the following subject areas:
- Cardiac Arrest Management/AED
- Traction Splinting
- Patient Management/Assessment
- Upper Airway Adjuncts and Suction
- Spinal Immobilization
- Bleeding Control/Shock Management
- Supplemental Oxygen Administration
- Bag-Valve-Mask Apneic Patient with a Pulse
- Mouth-to-Mask with Supplemental Oxygen
- Joint Dislocation Immobilization
- Long Bone Fracture Immobilization
Exam Registration and Scheduling Process
If the candidate gets approval to sit for the examination, the PSI will send an eligibility postcard that will contain directions to register, schedule and pay the fee for the test.
- The applicants are required to pass the exam in the six month authorization period. They will be provided 2 more chances to take the test, in case; they fail to clear it in the first attempt.
You are suggested to make the payment of the fees at the time of doing the registration. The registration form must be properly and accurately filled, and signed along with the correct amount of the fee.
Internet Registration and Scheduling
The internet registration is the best way to do the registration and scheduling for the exam. The candidate must own a valid MasterCard or VISA for doing the online registration. The facility is available 24 hours a day and can be availed via the PSI’s website-www.psiexams.com. In order to do the online registration, the student must follow these steps:
- Start by logging into the website and clicking on the link related to Vermont examination. Then, fill the online registration form.
- The website will provide you the available dates and centers for the test, once you have completed the form. You need to select the date and center of your choice and schedule your exam.
Telephone Registration and Scheduling
The second best method used for scheduling and registration for the EMT exams is the telephone. Telephone registration can be done both in business hours, as well as in non-business hours, via live registrars and the PSI’s Interactive Voice Response system (IVR), respectively. The candidates are expected to possess a valid MasterCard or VISA for doing the registration, and they have to reveal the information about their credit cards, when asked.
Fax Registration and Scheduling
You need to have a valid MasterCard or VISA for doing registration and scheduling through the fax. You just need to fax the duly filled form. Be very careful while filling the form as incorrect form will be returned back to you and you will have to resend it after making the requisite corrections.
Registration and Scheduling through Standard Mail
If any candidate wants to pay the examination fee through cashier’s check or money order, without sharing his/her credit card information on the internet or phone, it can be done by standard mail registration. Given below are the steps that must be followed:
- Fill the registration form and attach the money order or cashier’s check with the correct amount of the fee. Submit the form to the PSI.
- You must get your name printed on the check or money order to make sure that the fee is properly allotted.
Important Note: Cash, personal checks, or company checks will not be accepted.
Rescheduling the Examination
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
If the applicant wants to re-apply for the test, he/she can’t do this on the same day of appearing in the last examination due to processing and scoring reasons. For instance, a student takes an exam on Monday and wants to give once more; he/she can apply for re-appointment on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on whether the seat is available or not at the preferred center. The re-registration can be done via phone, mail or internet, and the registration steps will remain the same as told earlier.
Missed Appointment or Late Cancellation
You will not be allowed to sit for the examination, lose your exam fee, and your registration will turn as invalid, if:
- You do not provide valid identification proof when you reach the test center.
- You fail to cancel your appointment 2 days prior to the scheduled date.
- You do not reach for taking the exam.
- If you appear late or reach after the examination begins.
Reporting to the Examination Site
In order to get properly acquainted with the exam process, it is better for the aspirant to reach the examination center at least 30 minutes before the scheduled time. It will also give him/her time to sign-in and getting the ID proofs verified at the examination center.
Important Note: If you arrive late, you will not be granted permission to enter the examination center and your test fee will also get forfeited.
- You need to provide a valid identification proof issued by the government, which can either be a military ID, driving license, state ID or passport. It must contain your photograph along with the signature.
- You also need to provide an ID proof containing your signature, as well as a pre-printed legal name.
- Paramedic and Intermediate candidates must provide their EMT certification card at the examination center. If any student doesn’t possess his/her current certification card, he/she can present a reinstatement letter acquired from the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS).
Important Note: The aspirant must make sure that the name specified on all the ID proofs must match the one specified on the registration form.
The following things must be remembered by the candidate:
- You are not allowed to bring children, or things, like briefcase, large bags, notebooks, etc. at the test center.
- Electronic devices, like calculators, pagers, mobile phones, etc. are strictly prohibited.
- Smoking, drinking or eating in the examination hall is not allowed.
- Once the exam has begun, you will not be allowed to go out of the hall without the permission of the proctor. You can only leave the test center for going to the restroom.
- If the candidate is caught cheating, or with any type of unauthorized stuffs, he/she will be immediately ordered to submit all the exam materials and leave the examination hall.
- Copying of the test matter is strictly considered as a breach of security rules, and it may lead to withholding of your results, or a legal action against you.
If the applicant fails to crack the examination, he/she will receive feedback on his/her performance from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). You need to apply for the re-exam after 15 days of the last exam.
All the aspirants are given six attempts to qualify the EMT test. After appearing in 3 attempts, they are required to provide official papers, which will approve that they have completed 24 hours of remedial program. Then, the candidates are provided with 3 more opportunities to give the exam. If candidates fail in all the 6 attempts, they must complete the entire EMT program again.
Tips for Preparing for the EMT Exams
- Study thoroughly from the best study guide.
- Keep practicing from sample papers. It will give you an idea about the exam pattern while helping in time-management.
- Try to study in groups as it helps in learning the difficult topics easily and quickly.
- Take program from experienced EMTs and Paramedics. It will help you a lot in your practical examination.
- Be positive while appearing for the test.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!