EMT Certification in Rhode Island
A candidate can obtain EMT certification in Rhode Island by completing training at any of the three levels from the state-approved institute or community college. The three levels of training include EMT-Basics, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Paramedics. But in Rhode Island, the aspirants have to undergo a unique certification level, named as EMT-Cardiac.
To acquire an Emergency Medical Technician certificate, applicants need to qualify both practical and written examinations. The Department of Health conducts examinations for the intermediate level certification. But, the National Registry is responsible for setting exam standards for the EMT-B and EMT-P level. After obtaining the national certificate, the applicants can apply for the state license.
EMT Certification Requirements
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Find A School
In Rhode Island, all the students have to accomplish some set of requirements to obtain EMT certificate. These requirements are listed below:
- Eighteen years is the minimum age requirement for applying for the EMT certification.
- One must successfully complete the training, acknowledged by the state.
- Qualifying the NREMT exam at each level is also mandatory.
- The EMT aspirants must possess ability to read, speak, and write the English language.
- It is indispensable for the applicants to be mentally strong. Physical stamina to lift and balance a weight up to 120 pounds is also essential.
- The applicants must hold a driving license, and a high school diploma or GED.
- An aspirant has to qualify a drug test and background test successfully.
- An applicant is ought to carry a CPR certificate or card.
- They are obligated to submit fingerprints and undergo certain inoculations.
- An applicant is necessitated to secure affiliation from a licensed EMS agency.
- The aspirants have to qualify practical exams administered by the state of Rhode Island.
- The prospective EMTs are required to deposit application form with requisite fees.
EMT Certification Process
In the state of Rhode Island, the process to secure EMT certificate is similar to other states. The steps involved in the certification process are:
- First of all, all the candidates are mandated to complete EMT training from a recognized school or training institute.
- Next step is to submit an application for the national certification. The candidates are supposed to follow the below mentioned steps:
- The candidates are required to create an account by visiting the official website of the NREMT, i.e. http://www.nremt.org/.
- The candidates need to click on “Initial Entry Application” option to take the test.
- It is suggested to the candidates to pay the application fee at the time of completion of the online application. However, it is not mandatory, and they can also opt to pay later.
- Now, the applicants are required to check the application status by clicking on the option “Check Exam Application Status”.
- If “Submitted” option is visible alongside the “Course Completion Verification”, then it suggests that the information provided is sent to the program, but is not authorized by the education program director.
- Similarly, if “Not Submitted” option is visible adjacent to the “Application Payment”, then candidates are required to pay the application fee.
- After this, if the application is verified, then the option of “Print ATT Letter” can be seen.
- Now, schedule the examination after getting print-out of the ATT letter.
- After applying for the national certification, the applicants need to successfully qualify a background check.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
- Last step suggests filling an application to obtain the state license. The candidates have to provide the correct and complete information in the application form. Following documents are required to be affixed with the form:
- Copy of the NREMT card
- Copy of CPR certification
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Application fee (either in the form of check or money order drawn on the name of “The General Treasurer, State of Rhode Island”)
Sent these enclosures along with the application form to the below mentioned mailing address:
Rhode Island Department of Health
Division of Health Services Regulation
Emergency Medical Services
Address: 3 Capitol Hill, Room 103, Providence, Rhode Island- 02908-5097
Renewal of EMT Certificate
In Rhode Island, the candidates can renew their license or certificate at any level. The requirements that are obligatory to be fulfilled by the EMT applicants to get recertified are as follows:
- The candidates should be currently employed in any EMS agency, fire-fighting agency, or public healthcare center.
- The applicants are also needed to fill complete and correct information in the application.
- They need to maintain their competency by taking certain hours of continuing education.
- Before 31st March of the year when the license is supposed to expire, the candidates are required to fill the recertification application and deposit it to the state.
Details of the continuing education hours and processing fees (non-refundable) are mentioned below:
- Emergency Medical Technician- Basic: The applicants at this level of training are required to complete a state-approved EMT refresher course of 24 hours duration. They also have to undergo 48 hours of additional education hours. The processing fee at this level is $15.00.
- Emergency Medical Technician- Cardiac: At cardiac level, the applicants have to complete a refresher training program, which is based on the standards set by the Department of Transportation. The candidates will be required to pay approximately $15.00 as the processing charges.
- Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic: To recertify at the Paramedic level, the candidates are required to complete 48 hours of state-accredited refresher course. They are also required to take twenty-four hours of continuing education. The processing charges at this level are $20.00.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!