It is important for the aspirants to hold emergency medical technician certification, in order to work in the emergency pre-hospital care unit. Any candidate looking for the EMT certification in New York must first go through the EMT program program from a state approved school. Afterwards, qualify the licensure examination conducted by the state. During the certification process, the candidate must fulfill some vital requirements to obtain the license. If you are looking for information to get the EMT certification in NY, then continue reading this article.
Requirements to Get EMT Certificate in NY
To get the EMT licensure in the state of NY, every candidate must fulfill the following requirements:
- The applicant must have a valid GED or high school diploma in NY.
- To apply for the EMT certification, the applicant should be 18 years or above.
- Going through a CPR certification is mandatory for all the applicants.
- The physical condition of the candidate should be sound and they must be able to carry 120 pounds of weight on their own.
- The capability to read, write, speak and understand English language is obligatory for every candidate.
- The applicants must provide their fingerprints.
- A drug test and a background screening test will be performed during the certification process.
- Sometimes EMTs need to drive ambulance. Hence, candidates must hold a valid NY state’s driving license.
- Holding an affiliation form issued by the NY EMS agency is also compulsory.
- EMT students must present the proof – of their legitimate presence in the state – to the NY state EMS authorities.
Special Requirements to Get EMT Certificate
- The candidates must have enrolled in an authorized EMS program school and they must successfully pass the enrolled course.
- The candidates must pass the practical exams approved by the NY state.
- The application form for the EMT certification along with the application fees should be deposited to the NY state.
Process of EMT Certification
In New York, the EMT certification process involves four steps. After completing these steps, you will become eligible to practice as an EMT in the state:
Step 1: State Approved Program
The prospective EMTs in NY are required to complete the appropriate level (EMR, EMT, AEMT or Paramedic) of EMT program from a program school authorized by the state.
Step 2: NREMT Certification Application
Applying for National Registry for EMT certification is the second step involved in obtaining the certificate. In order to get the NREMT certification, the students need to take up the NREMT examinations.
Following are the steps to apply for the national certification:
- Create an account on the NREMT website (http://www.nremt.org).
- Click on the “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Make sure that you visit your account very often to watch the status of your NREMT application. When the information submitted by you is forwarded to the desired program, then you will be notified by a ‘Submitted’ option which appears next to the ‘Course Completion Verification’ option in your account.
- If ‘not submitted’ option appears, you first need to shell out the fees.
- When the fee is submitted and after the concerned program director has authorized your application, ‘Print ATT Letter’ option will be visible in your account. Now print this letter and schedule your examination.
Step 3: Background Check
Clearing the background check facilitated by the NY Department of Health is a must for all the aspirants. Usually, FBI or the NY State Patrol authorities will administer the background check for the EMT applicants.
Step 4: Apply for State Certification
Finally, the applicants have to apply for the state certification in NY. The EMT aspirants must attach a copy of the result of NREMT exams and the course completion certificate from the DOH along with the application.
Renewal of EMT Certificate in NY
It’s very essential to renew your EMT certificate to continue rendering your services. The state of New York offers you 2 types of recertification programs:
- 3 Year Continuing Educational Recertification Program
This Pilot Recertification program permits active (who are currently practicing) Paramedic, EMT-Critical Care, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT to exhibit their competency and finish their continuing education, in order to renew their certification without undertaking the licensure exam again.
Click the link to get more information on “3 Year EMS Continuing Medical Education Recertification Program”.
- 5 Year Continuing Educational Recertification Program
This program is designed for the employees of the NY City Fire Department or those service providers who are active in the following counties:
For more details on this program, visit the below-given site:
Verification of EMT Certification in NY
In order to request a written verification of your NY certificate, download the form using this link:
Fill and sign the form.
- The form must be notarized and signed by the certified provider, if you require verification of the certification for someone else (other than yourself).
- For filing the reciprocity to another state of the US (other than NY), you will need verification of your certificate. For this purpose, submit the out-of-state verification form issued by your current certifying state via mail or fax.
Mail or fax the form at the following address:
New York State Department of Health
Bureau of EMS
875 Central Avenue
Albany, NY 12206-1388
Fax (518) 402-0985
- You can submit a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request, in case, you need the verification of the certificate, but unable to submit written consent. FOIL request can be made by using this link:
Note – 1) The verification process completes in 2-4 weeks.
2) No information related to certification will be provided on the phone.
How to get a duplicate copy of your NY EMT card?
“Duplicate Card Request” form can be downloaded using the following link:
You can also request the form from the Certification Unit of the Bureau of EMS by providing duly signed written application which must include your current mailing address, date of birth, and social security number.
Mail or fax the completed application to the above mentioned address (Verification of EMT Certification in NY).