EMT Certification in Indiana
EMT certification in Indiana can be obtained by appearing and clearing the examination, conducted by National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. Students, who have successfully passed the state-approved EMT program programs, can appear in the examination. The time period of EMT certification in Indiana is two years.
Requirements to Get EMT Certificate
EMT professionals in Indiana must meet the following pre-requisites:
- It is mandatory for the candidate to be of 18 years old or more.
- He/she should pass a state-approved EMT program program in Indiana.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) from a state-approved institute.
- The candidate must pass NREMT examination in Indiana.
- He/she should also provide evidence of his/her legal presence in the U.S.
- EMT professional should be mentally and physically healthy.
- A background check of the candidate is compulsory.
Special Requirements to Get EMT Certificate
- The application along with the fee must be submitted by the Indiana candidate.
- Candidate should appear and qualify a practical exam, conducted by a state-approved program center.
Process of EMT Certification
Step 1: Get EMT Program
First of all, the candidate must get EMT program from a state-approved program center in Indiana. The four levels of EMT program are- EMT-Basic, Advanced EMT, EMT-Intermediate and Paramedic.
Step 2: Appear for the Exam
Professionals, who have done EMT-Basics and Advanced EMT program, must give both state written and practical examinations in Indiana.
State of Indiana Examination – For EMT-Basic & Advanced EMT
The practical and written examinations are managed separately.
- Create a new account by clicking on the link “Create New Account”.
- A new application should be created by clicking on “Create Initial Entry Application”.
- Application fee must be paid by the candidate soon after completing the online application.
- The progress of the application must be checked. Check your “Authorization to Test” (ATT) Letter. Go to the homepage of NREMT website by logging into it with the username and password. Now, click on “Check Initial Entry Application Status”.
- If “Submitted” appears besides “Course Completion Verification”, it points out that your details have been provided by the NREMT website and it is waiting for the approval of the education program director.
- Before you receive the ATT Letter, you must pay your application fee, if “Not Submitted” appears besides “Application Payment”.
- The link “Print ATT Letter” will appear on your account if your course completion process is properly confirmed by the education program director.
- Now, take a print-out of your ATT Letter and decide a time table of your NREMT exam.
Important Note: The ATT Letter will appear on your account only when your course completion has been confirmed by the education program director.
The ATT Letter will instruct you to schedule your NREMT examination with the help of a website, called ‘Pearson VUE’.
Step 3: License Application
You need to fill the application form for certification, and then, submit it to the following address:
Indiana Department of Homeland Security
302 West Washington Street,
Room E239, Indianapolis, Indiana- 46204
Step 4: Background Check
To complete the online certification, it is necessary for you to go through a background check.
Renewal of EMT Certificate
For the renewal of EMT certificates in Indiana, EMT candidates are required to fulfil the following requirements:
- They must be working as an Emergency Medical Technician in a medical-care facility or even with a rescue organization.
- By appearing in an examination or Continuing Education (CE) course, candidates can prove their cognitive ability to perform EMS.
EMR-Emergency Medical Responder
- EMR candidate in Indiana must complete a state-approved 12 hour refresher course.
- He/she should also pay a non-refundable fee of $12 while providing the documents for certificate renewal.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) card must be submitted.
- Also needed is a ‘Skills Verification’ proof of the candidate, which should be signed and confirmed by the program officer.
- You are ought to submit your application by September 30, before the certificate gets expired.
- The application for recertification must be provided before March 31 of that year, in which, the validity of your certificate is going to finish.
- A state-approved 24-hour refresher course is a must to be completed by the candidate.
- Also, the candidate needs to complete another course of 48 hours.
- EMT-basic candidate of Indiana is required to pay a sum of $15, which is non- refundable.
- Skills verification, approved by the Program Program Director and Director of Operations or Physician Medical Director, should be submitted by the candidate.
- The candidate must provide his/her CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification.
- A 36-hour state-approved refresher course should be completed by the candidate in Indiana, along with an added program of 36 hours.
- In the year when the validity of your certification is about to finish, submit the recertification application before March 31.
- A payment of $15 must be done by the candidate as a non-refundable application fee.
- Skills verification proof must be maintained by the candidate, which should be confirmed by the Physician Medical Director.
- The candidate should also maintain his/her current CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certificate.
- The application of recertification must be submitted before March 31 of the year, your EMT certification expires.
- A state-approved 36-hour refresher course is mandatory to complete for the candidate.
- Apart from this, a 36-hour added program of EMS is also necessary.
- He/she must pay an application fee of $15, which is non-refundable. This must be paid during the submission of renewal documents.
- It is compulsory for the Paramedic candidate in Indiana to complete a 48-hour state-approved refresher course.
- Along with it, the candidate needs to complete an additional program of 24 hours.
- A payment of $20 (non-refundable) must be made as the application fee along with the necessary recertification documents.
- The candidate must prove his/her skills competency, which should be checked by the Physician Medical Director.
- He/she also need to provide a CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification along with other documents.
Online Renewal of EMT Certificate
The procedure for online recertification is described below.
You need to go to the website – “Indiana Department of Homeland Security” and go to the “Indiana Public Safety Personnel Portal”. Read the guidelines from this link: http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/Portal_Instructions.pdf
There are three main steps of online renewal of EMT certificate in Indiana:
Step 1: Creating Your Portal Account
You must possess the following in order to create your portal account:
- Your last name
- A valid e-mail address
If you have forgotten your PSID or you are not aware of it, go to this link: https://myoracle.in.gov/dfbs/ems/person.do?method=personLookup
If you don’t possess a PSID, you need to go to the following link: https://s.zoomerang.com/s/psidapplication
Now, complete the following sub-steps:
- Now, go to the left navigation panel and click on this link “Don’t have an account? Signup”.
- Complete the portal signup by filling all the details, and then, click on “Continue”.
- The instructions to complete final registration will come to you through an e-mail. Click on “Finish” and open your mail.
- You will receive a link in your e-mail, which will direct you to the portal signup page. Here, you need to answer some questions in order to verify your identity. After finishing the questionnaire, click on “Continue” and then, follow the directions on the screen.
- Your account creation has been successfully completed. Now; you can log in anytime and see your portal homepage.
If, in case, you don’t receive your password through e-mail within one business day, you need to send a mail to: email@example.com
Step 2: Accessing the Portal
After you have created your portal account, you can access it anytime by using the following steps:
- Open the website of “Indiana Public Safety Personnel Portal”. Visit its homepage.
- You will see a sign in window in the left navigation panel. Type your username and password, and then, click on “Sign in”. The e-mail address, which you provided while creating your account on the portal page, will become your username.
- If you don’t remember your password, click on “Forgot your password”.
- You will get a new password through e-mail. It is better to copy your new password the first time, you sign in, as it may ask you to change it.
- You can log into your portal homepage through this process.
The information from your Acadis personnel profile will be provided to you on your homepage, which will contain your PSID number. The ‘Home’ tab will enable you to view and take a print-out of any of your certifications, and it will let you renew your EMT certificate, if the certification is shown active on your online renewal window.
You can also correct or update your personal details on ‘My Profile’ by clicking the option of “Edit My Profile”.
If you need to make changes in the information about the recertification or for any other assistance, you can drop an e-mail to the “Indiana Department of Homeland Security” at firstname.lastname@example.org
Step 3: How to Renew Your Certification?
You first need to log in to your account. After that, follow the below given steps:
Important: You need to close all the pop-up notifications before you start the online renewal process.
- Login to your account on the website of “Indiana Public Safety Personnel Portal” – https://acadisportal.in.gov/AcadisViewer/Login.aspx
- You can only renew those certifications online, which have a renew link with them. You can see the ‘Renew’ link 90 days before your certificate expire. If your EMT certificate has already expired, you will not be able to renew it online.
- If you have more than one certification expiring together, you need to renew them separately.
- EMT professionals, who want to renew their Emergency Medical Technician, Advanced EMT, EMT-Intermediate certification and Paramedic licenses, need to only renew the highest level of EMT certificate they possess. They should not renew their licenses of lower level of certification, even if, the renew link is available with it.
- Besides EMT license or certification, EVOC, EVOC Instructor and the Primary Instructor certifications can also be recertified.
- Click on the “Renew” link on the certification, you want to renew.
- After clicking on the “Renew” link, the first page will enable you to update your Acadis personal details. If you don’t want to make any amendments, click on “Continue” and go to the second page.
- Click on “Update Information”, if you wish to make amendments in your information. After changing your information, click on “Continue” in order to save the information. Check the changes you made after saving it, and make any other amendments, if needed. Now; click on “Continue” in order to proceed.
If you want your information to get updated but the portal is not permitting it, you can e-mail it to “Indiana Department of Homeland Security”.
- The second page will instruct you how to renew your application. But, before you click on “Continue”, read it completely.
- The third page affirms that all the requirements for the certification have been duly fulfilled and it will also contain all the requirements that are necessary for the recertification. Apart from this, you also need to submit the notification if you have been charged with any criminal offence since you was certified the last time. The third page should be filled completely before clicking on “Submit”.
- After clicking the “Submit” option, one of the following options will appear on your screen:
- A confirmation message will appear, if you have successfully submitted the information. You need to click on “Done” for returning to the homepage of the portal. Here, you can see an updated expiry date of your certification. You can also print other certifications through the “Print” links, given with them.
- A random selection of your documents of Continuing Education (CE) may occur. If the audit process is completed, a pop-up notification will appear along with the instructions to proceed further.
- If the submission of the information became unsuccessful, a pop-up ‘Alert’ message will appear. It indicates that the application you made has been rejected. It will also mention the reason of rejection.