EMT stands for Emergency Medical Technician, and it refers to those medical professionals, who provide immediate medical facility to the patients. Those students, who want to make their career in this field, must complete a special program, called as ‘EMT program’, from well-reputed and state approved institutes or colleges. Students need to undergo these programs to get acquainted with the basic emergency skills along with laboratory practice and internships.
Emergency Medical Technician program is divided into three main levels:
Though, it is not a very difficult task to become an Emergency Medical Technician, but still, there are certain requirements that a person needs to fulfil, if/she wants to enrol for EMT courses.
Why to enrol for EMT coursework?
An EMT is the person, who gives pre-hospital care while transporting the patient to the hospital or at the sight of the crisis. Mostly, these professionals provide basic life support assistance to the patients suffering from heart attacks, allergy, poisonous attacks, diabetes, etc. They play an important role in a sick or injured person’s life as they are the first responders to any type of medical crisis before the patient gets treated by a doctor. The EMT program prepares students for all these challenging responsibilities. The curriculum provides you with all the skills and knowledge to qualify the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) Exam.
Another good advantage to pursue EMT program is that there is a good career scope, once you clear the NREMT exam. Emergency Medical Technicians are employed at various locations, such as hospitals, health care centres, entertainment places, as well as industrial sites. As the population is rising continuously, there will be an increasing demand for EMTs; therefore, it can be a good career option.
What are the basic requirements to enrol for EMT curriculum?
- The student must be at least 18 years of age.
- The candidate must possess a valid driving license.
- The aspirant must complete a 10th grade level or high school certificate.
- The applicant must have a CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification from the state healthcare providers, such as American Red Cross.
- The aspiring candidate must be fluent to read, write and speak English.
- You must not have any criminal background.
- You are also ought to be mentally and physically fit.
- The student also needs to provide proof of several vaccinations, like measles, mumps, diphtheria, tetanus, Hepatitis B, rubella, and pertussis.
Duration & Fees of EMT program
The duration depends upon the type of EMT program, the student opts for:
Students, who opt for full-time course, can complete the basic program within three to six weeks. On the other hand, a part-time student may complete the program in around 8-11 weeks. These program programs provide the basic knowledge to the students to handle trauma, cardiac, as well as respiratory emergencies. It may cost around $650 to get trained as an EMT Basic.
An intermediate level of Emergency Medical Technician program can be completed in around 30-350 hours. It includes airway management, life support skills, intravenous procedures, as well as clinical internship. The approximate cost of this program coursework is $800.
EMT program at the paramedic level requires students to attend the programs that may last for about 6 months to 2 years. This mainly includes the anatomy, physiology, paramedicine, defibrillation, as well as other advanced medical procedures. This program costs around $3500.
From which institutions you can pursue EMT program?
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
The first and the foremost thing you need to keep in mind is that you must take program from a well-recognized and state-approved institute.
You can pursue program from universities, community colleges, hospitals, as well as various other reputed technical institutions. Even online courses are also available, but one must keep in mind that some practical program is a must to become a complete professional.
Coursework of EMT program
The basic coursework/curriculum of EMT programs includes:
- Basic knowledge about the human body
- Medical and legal issues
- Vital signs
- Properly lifting and moving of the patients
- Airway management
- Patient assessment
- Handling of respiratory, cardiovascular, diabetic or poison emergencies
- Shock and bleeding management
- Head, neck or spinal injuries
- Infants and children
- Ambulance operations or transportation management
- Advanced airway
Points to Remember while Enrolling for Emergency Medical Technician Curriculum
- You need to make sure that the institution, for which you are applying, is well-accredited or approved by the respective state.
- Check if you fulfil all the requirements before enrolling for the program.
- Check the fee structure well.
- You can also check the types of EMT program and decide what you are interested to do.
- Pursue, only if you are ready to do it. The job of an Emergency Medical Technician is really challenging; therefore, you should make a career in it only if you are mentally and physically prepared to manage all kinds of traumas.
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!