EMT Training Classes in Vermont
In Vermont, students with a desire to offer willing emergency services have to undergo EMT program. This program helps them to develop themselves as a trained EMT. VEMS or Vermont Emergency Medical Services is authorized to oversee the licensing and employment of prospective EMTs.
Earlier, the students had to clear a written examination, but now, they have to qualify a computer test, which displays one question at a time. To become a certified Emergency Medical Technician, students need to go through different levels of the program. At each stage of the program, students are required to pass practical and written examinations.
EMT Program Requirements and Eligibility in VT
The prerequisites for taking the EMT program are different in different states. In Vermont, these requirements are:
- An age of 18 years or above.
- Proof of high school diploma or General Education Development.
- Placement results of the tests, namely ACCUPULAR or ASSET.
- A legitimate driving license.
- CPR certification
- A flu shot, a negative chest x-ray, and a negative tuberculosis skin PPD test.
- The EMT aspirants are required to face a drug test.
- It is mandatory for students to read at 10th-grade level.
- They are also required to submit the test reports for a criminal background check.
- Inoculations against hepatitis B, rubella, mumps, and measles.
- To protect themselves from tetanus, chickenpox, diphtheria, and pertussis, candidates have to take Tdap vaccination.
How to Become an EMT in VT: EMT Program Coursework
In the state of Vermont, the students learn several basics, as well as advanced procedures and techniques to be used at basic and advanced life support emergencies. The different program levels in the state of Vermont are:
- EMR (Emergency Medical Responder): The basic or primary level of the program under which the students receive the training about all the basic methods, like airway management, patient assessment, understanding the vital signs, etc., to handle unexpected serious situations.
- EMT (Emergency Medical Technician): The second level of the program is EMT. At this program level, students get instructions about all necessary program techniques, which can be required at any medical emergency. This level of the program is little advanced than EMR.
- AEMT (Advanced Emergency Medical Technician): At advanced EMT level of the program, students are taught advanced program techniques, like advanced airway management, methods to handle cardiac, respiratory, and musculoskeletal emergencies.
- Paramedic: The fourth level of the program, which is very near to becoming a skilled paramedic. At this level of the program, a student is well acquainted with advanced, as well as basic emergency methods.
How much does it Cost to Become an EMT in Vermont
The students, who want to avail the EMT program in the state of Vermont, have to spend nearly $9,860 to $12,000. By depositing the fees of the coursework, students can take advantage of the classroom and practical instructions.
How Long Does it Take to Become an EMT in VT
Before enrolling in a program center, the student should evaluate the time or duration of the program. In Vermont, the coursework usually involves 120 hours of classroom and practical learning.
State-Approved EMT Schools in Vermont
Following are some of the accredited EMT schools in Vermont, which EMT program seekers can consider.
- Lyndon State College
Address: P.O. Box- 919, 1001 College Road, Lyndonville, Vermont- 05851
Contact Number: 1-800-225-1998
Official Website: http://lyndonstate.edu/
- The University of Vermont
Address: Burlington, Vermont- 05405
Contact Number: 802-656-3131
Official Website: http://www.uvm.edu/
- Middlebury College
Address: Middlebury, Vermont- 05753
Contact Number: 802-443-5000
Official Website: http://www.middlebury.edu/
- Vermont Technical College
Address: P.O. Box- 500, Randolph Center, Vermont- 05061-0500
Contact Number: 800-442-8821
Official Website: http://www.vtc.edu/
Vermont Emergency Medical Services
Address: 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, Vermont- 05402
Contact Number: 802-863-7200
You should know –