EMT Program in New York
EMT program in the state of New York prepares experienced and talented EMTs, who are willing to provide services during health and safety emergencies. The students, who are looking for a bright career in EMS or Emergency Medical Services, have to qualify an EMS course and exams, which are sponsored by the state of New York.
It is to be noted that the state of New York does not depend on the National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) exams. New York does not even provide certification and license based on national license.
In the state of New York, EMTs and paramedics, who hold only state certification and license, can take advantage of reciprocity. If EMS personnel holds only NREMT certification and wants to undergo EMT program from the state of New York, he/she has to apply for New York EMT refresher course to fulfill his/her dreams.
The state of New York provides a complete program to an EMT aspirant. These program programs are scheduled stepwise. At each level, students are trained with various techniques to be performed in case of emergencies.
Essential EMT-Program Requirements
An EMT is a person, who helps or assists common people during emergencies. Whatever techniques or methods he/she practices at the time of emergency is the result of the effective program. The skills of an EMT aspirant get refined on successful completion of the program. Before entering into a program center or school, candidates need to fulfill the following requirements:
- The candidates applying for program are ought to be of 18 years or above.
- The aspirants must be able to show proof of General Education Development or high school diploma.
- The candidates must hold a valid CPR certification.
- The candidates also need to carry a valid driving license.
- The aspirants should possess effective communication skills.
- The candidates have to submit a proof of the following vaccinations:
- Hepatitis B
- Rubella, etc.
- They are also required to get Tdap vaccine to get protected against chickenpox, diphtheria, pertussis, and tetanus.
- Students have to go through a drug test.
- They need to submit reports of test for a criminal background check.
- An aspirant should be capable of reading at 10th grade.
- The aspirants can also be asked to submit placement results.
- The applicants should be fit both- psychologically and physically.
To avail EMT program in the state of New York, an applicant has to understand what all is included in the program? If an applicant wishes to become eligible for acquiring state license, he/she has to undergo various levels of program and become a trained EMT (Emergency Medical Technician). To obtain certification, an aspirant has to qualify the following program levels, maintained by the New York State Department of Health.
- CFR (Certified First Responder): When an applicant becomes aware of pre-hospital emergency care, he is referred to as CFR. It is believed that he is well trained about patient assessment, controlling bleeding, usage of basic life support equipments, environmental emergencies, and can handle trauma emergencies.
- EMT-B (Emergency Medical Technician-Basics): Under this level of a program, a student gets to know about various other methods and procedures of providing medical care during an emergency. The program includes ventilating patients, controlling hemorrhage, applying a bandage on wounds, treatment of shock, administrating oxygen, and assistance during childbirth emergencies.
- EMT-I (Emergency Medical Technician-Intermediate): It is a little more advanced pre-hospital medical care program for the students. In this level of a program, a student learns about the advanced methods of managing the airway, defibrillation, and intravenous infusion. The program also emphasizes medical care of trauma patients.
- AEMT-CC (Advanced Emergency Medical Technician- Critical Care): It is a little more advanced level of EMT-I program, in which a candidate learns advanced methods of medical care, including epinephrine auto-injector, cardiac monitoring, IV fluid administration, etc. The scope of this program is broader.
- AEMT-P (Advanced Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic): This level of the program is the nearest step to paramedic. This program requires a lot of time as the scope of practice is broad. Under this program level, a student learns advanced emergency handling methods, like endotracheal intubation, nasogastric tube placement, tension pneumothorax, etc.
Cost and Duration of Program Program
Every student, who has a dream of becoming a qualified and skilled EMT, has to undergo proper program. A student has to somehow evaluate various aspects, including cost and length of a program offered by the program school. The following details will give you an idea of the cost and duration of EMT program in the state of New York.
- EMT-Basics: The first level of the program in which a student learns all basic methods and techniques of handling emergencies generally requires 4 months to get completed. The cost of availing this program is $650 approx.
- EMT-Intermediate: This is the second level of EMT program. To learn various advanced methods and finish this program, it requires almost 30-350 hours. The cost of availing this program is about $800.
- EMT-Paramedic: This is the third level of EMT program in which a student learns about complex methods to handle emergencies. It takes one whole year to complete this program level. The total cost of this program is approximately $3,500.
State Approved EMT Program Schools
The state of New York has approved various institutions and schools to provide an authenticated program to the EMT aspirants, which will help them to polish their skills and become eligible for clearing examinations and acquire state licensure. Some of the states approved program schools are:
- Regional Emergency Medical Organization (REMO)
Address: 431 New Karner Road, Albany, New York- 12205
Contact Number: 518-464-5097
- Broome County
Address: 6th Floor, Broome County Office Building, 60 Hawley Street, P.O. Box-1766, Binghamton, New York- 13902
Contact Number: 607-778-2109
- Olean General Hospital
Address: 515 Main Street, Olean, New York- 14760
Contact Number: 716-373-2600
- Arnot Ogden Medical Center
Address: 600 Roe Avenue, Elmira, New York- 14905
Contact Number: 607-737-4100
- Dutchess Community College
Address: 53 Pendell Road, Poughkeepsie, New York- 12601–1595
Contact Number: 845-431-8000
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College
Address: 2805 State Highway 67, Johnstown, New York- 12095
Contact Number: 518-736- 3622
- Jefferson Community College
Address: 1220 Coffeen Street, Watertown, New York- 13601
Contact Number: 888-435-6522 / 315-786-2200
- Monroe Community College
Address: 1000 East Henrietta Road, Rochester, New York- 14623
Contact Number: 585-292-2000
- Niagara County Community College
Address: 3111 Saunders Settlement Road, Sanborn, New York- 14132
Contact Number: 716-614-6222
- Niagara University
Address: 5795 Lewiston Road, New York- 14109
Contact Number: 716-285-1212
- Onondaga County EMS Bureau
Address: 421 Montgomery Street, Sub-level Syracuse, New York- 13202
Contact Number: 315-435-2525
- Finger Lakes Community College
Address: 3325 Marvin Sands Drive, Canandaigua, New York- 14424
Contact Number: 585-394-3500
- Finger Lakes Regional EMS Council
Address: 90 Pulteney Street, Geneva, New York- 14456
Contact Number: 315-789-0108 / 1-800-357-3672
- Mobile Life Support Services, Inc.
Address: 3188 US Route 9W, New Windsor, New York- 12553
Contact Number: 845-562-4368
- Oswego County Emergency Management Office
Address: Oswego County Branch Building, 200 North Second Street, Fulton, New York- 13069
Contact Number: 315-591-9150
- Rockland Paramedic Services, Inc.
Address: 540 Chestnut Ridge Road, Chestnut Ridge, New York- 10977
Contact Number: 845-627-8613
- SUNY Cobleskill
Address: State Route 7, Cobleskill, New York- 12043
Contact Number: 518-255-5011
- SUNY Canton- State University of New York
Address: 34 Cornell Drive, Canton, New York- 13617
Contact Number: 315-386-7011 / 1-800-388-7123
- St. James Mercy Health System
Address: 411 Canisteo Street, Hornell, New York- 14843
Contact Number: 607-324-8000
- Suffolk County REMSCO
Address: 360 Yaphank Avenue, Suite 1B, Yaphank, New York- 11980
Contact Number: 631-852-5080
- Suffolk County Community College
Address: 533 College Road, Selden, New York- 11784
Contact Number: 631-451-4000
Official Website: http://www.sunysuffolk.edu/index.asp
- Tioga County Bureau of Fire
Address: 103 Corporate Drive – Lower Level, Owego, New York- 13827
Contact Number: 607-687-8466
- TLC Emergency Medical Services
Address: 638 Burnet Avenue, Syracuse, New York- 13203
Contact Number: 315-422-0211
- Tompkins Cortland Community College
Address: 170 North Street, P.O. Box- 139, Dryden, New York- 13053
Contact Number: 888-567-8211 / 607-844-8211
For further details or query, you can contact to:
New York DOH Bureau of EMS
Address: 875 Central Avenue, Albany, New York- 12206-1388
Contact Number: 518-402-0996