EMT Program in Georgia
EMT program in Georgia enables students to learn the life-saving skills, which make them eligible to be certified as an Emergency Medical Technician. The main responsibilities of an EMT are to properly manage the disastrous situations while treating the victims in a proper manner. EMT- First Responder, EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, EMT-Cardiac Tech, Advanced EMT and EMT-Paramedic are the six main levels of EMT program in Georgia.
- The student must be at least 18 years old or more than that.
- The student must possess a current CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certified by any of the healthcare providers.
- A valid driving license must be owned by the student.
- The student must have passed high school or GED.
- Sometimes, students are also asked to provide their COMPASS or ACCUPLACER scores, which test their skills in English and mathematics.
- Students also need to provide proofs of several immunizations, such as measles, rubella, mumps, tetanus, chickenpox, pertussis, diphtheria, and hepatitis B.
- A negative report of tuberculosis, chest X-ray, as well as a flu shot, which has been done within the last 12 months, is also needed by the student.
- The student also needs to submit a drug test along with a check on his/her criminal background.
The topics included in the study matter of EMT program in Georgia are:
- EMS systems & vital signs
- Legal and ethical issues
- Moving and lifting the patients
- Anatomy and physiology
- Emergency of respiratory, cardiac, diabetic, poison/overdose, obstetrics and gynaecology cases
- Behavioural and environmental emergencies
- Patient assessment, including patient record, communication and documentation
- Spinal injuries
- Head, neck, chest and abdominal injuries
- Infants & children, as well as old aged people
- Airway management and oxygen therapy
- Handling several patients at one point of time
- Properly managing the hazardous conditions
Duration and Fees
The approximate duration of EMT-basic program in Georgia is 124 hours, 176 hours for EMT-intermediate, and 504 hours for the paramedic level.
The in-state tuition fee of EMT program in Georgia is approximately between $2,000 and $3,000 per student, although, it may vary according to the colleges.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Albany Technical College
Address: 1704 South Slappey Boulevard, Albany, Georgia- 31701
Contact Number: 229-430-3500
- Athens Technical College
Address: 800 US Highway 29 North, Athens, Georgia- 30601
Contact Number: 706-355-5000
- Central Georgia Technical College
Address: 54 Highway 22 West, Milledgeville, Georgia- 31061
Contact Number: (478) 445-2300
Fax: (478) 445-2334
Official Website: http://www.centralgatech.edu/
- Chattahoochee Technical College
Address: 980 South Cobb Drive, Marietta, Georgia- 30060
Contact Number: 770-528-4545
Official Website: http://www.chattahoocheetech.edu/
- Darton State College
Address: 2400 Gillionville Road, Albany, Georgia- 31707
Contact Number: (229) 317-6000
Official Website: http://www.darton.edu/
- Georgia Northwestern Technical College
Address: One Maurice Culberson Drive, Rome, Georgia- 30161
Contact Number: 1-866-983-4682
Official Website: http://www.gntc.edu/
- Gwinnett Technical College
Address: 5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, Georgia- 30043
Contact Number: 770-962-7580
Official Website: http://www.gwinnetttech.edu/
- Savannah Technical College
Address: 5717 White Bluff Road, Savannah, Georgia- 31405
Contact Number: 912-443-5519
- Southern Crescent Technical College
Address: 501 Varsity Road, Griffin, Georgia- 30223
Contact Number: (770) 228-7348
Official Website: http://www.sctech.edu/
- West Georgia Technical College
Address: 401 Adamson Square, Carrollton, Georgia- 30117
Contact Number: 678-664-0400
Official Website: http://www.westgatech.edu/
- Georgia Piedmont Technical College
Address: 495 North Indian Creek Drive, Clarkston, Georgia- 30021
Contact Number: 404-297-9522
Official Website: http://www.gptc.edu/
- Altamaha Technical College
Address: 1777 West Cherry Street, Jesup, Georgia- 31545
Contact Number: (912) 427-5800
Official Website: http://www.altamahatech.edu/
- Atlanta Technical College
Address: 1560 Metropolitan Parkway South-west, Atlanta, Georgia- 30310-4446
Contact Number: (404) 225-4400
Official Website: http://www.atlantatech.edu/
- Augusta Technical College
Address: 3200 Augusta Technical Drive, Augusta, Georgia- 30906
Contact Number: 706-771-4000
Official Website: http://www.augustatech.edu/
- Southeastern Technical College
Address: 3001 East First Street, Vidalia, Georgia- 30474
Contact Number: (912) 538-3100
Official Website: http://www.southeasterntech.edu/
If you need more information regarding EMT program in Georgia, you may get in touch with
Georgia Office of EMS
2 Peachtree Street, Suite- 12432
Atlanta, Georgia- 30303
Contact Number: (404) 679-0547