EMT Training Classes in Wisconsin
To pursue a successful career in Emergency Medical Services, the students of Wisconsin have to go through a proper state approved EMT program. The state of Wisconsin considers the NREMT test to provide EMT certification. EMT program is the key to become eligible for clearing NREMT examinations and acquire a state license. For this, the students have to complete five levels of the program through state-approved EMT classes. Additionally, to judge the ability students can also prepare themselves by taking EMT practice tests online.
Pre-requisites for EMT Training in WI
Every candidate, who aspires to become a licensed EMT, has to fulfill various specifications. These specifications are different in each state. In the state of Wisconsin, the candidates, who want to get admission in a state-accredited EMT school, have to fulfill the pre-requisites that involve:
- The prospective EMTs ought to have an age of eighteen years or above.
- The candidates have to carry a valid driving license.
- All applicants must be able to read at the 10th-grade level.
- A candidate has to present any evidence of placement results.
- The candidates must hold a CPR certificate all throughout the program.
- A student also needs to qualify for a drug test.
- The students have to get done the following immunizations and show proofs:
- Hepatitis B
- The students also have to undergo a flu shot, a negative chest x-ray, and a negative TB skin PPD test.
- The EMT prospects should be physically and emotionally strong to practice emergency handling techniques.
To become an EMT in Wisconsin one needs to learn and practice various pre-hospital medical care techniques by going through five different program levels, which are as follows:
- Medical First Responder (FR): The basic stage of the program includes several skills, like hemorrhage control, airway management, monitoring blood pressure, oxygen therapy, etc.
- EMT-Basic: The second stage of the program includes methods to be practiced at basic life support emergency, such as- methods to manage wounds, splinting, shock management, etc.
- EMT-Intermediate/85: The middle level of pre-hospital emergency medical services, under which, advance life-supporting techniques are instructed to the students, such as – epinephrine auto-injectors, IV fluid therapy, advanced airway management, and administering various medications.
- EMT-Intermediate/99: This level helps in developing skills, like nasogastric tube placement, endotracheal intubation, monitoring ECGs, etc.
- EMT-Paramedic: The highest stage of the program is EMT-P, at which, a student performs skills, such as- fluid resuscitation, advanced patient assessment, pharmaceutical administration, etc.
Fees and Length of Program Coursework
Before joining any EMT training program, students should evaluate the cost and length of the coursework being offered by various EMT Classes in Wyoming. After cross-checking both aspects, a candidate can enroll in the school. In Wisconsin, the cost to pursue the EMT program ranges from $3,520 to $4,000.
In addition to it, the length or duration of the program depends on the following program levels:
- Medical First Responder: The initial stage of the program requires almost 49 hours of the educational program. Some institutes extend program hours from 49 to 60.
- EMT-Basic: The second level of the program requires 180 hours of classroom and practical instructions.
- EMT-I/85: Along with 180 hours of the basic program, this phase provides additional 170 hours program, which includes 76 hours of classroom instructions, 44 hours of the practical program, and 50 hours of the clinical program.
- EMT-I/99: This level renders 496 additional hours of the program, of which, 2/3 of the program involves classroom instructions and remaining to involve practical session.
- EMT-P: The final stage of the program requires 1000 hours, including 700 hours of classroom teachings and remaining in gaining practical experience.
State-Approved EMT Schools in Wisconsin
The state of Wisconsin has approved the following program centers for students to enroll for EMT Classes:
- Fox Valley Technical College
Address: 1825 North Bluemound Drive, P.O. Box- 2277, Appleton, Wisconsin- 54912-2277
Contact Number: 920-735-5600 / 1-800-735-3882
Official Website: http://www.fvtc.edu/public/
- Lakeshore Technical College
Address: 1290 North Avenue, Cleveland, Wisconsin- 53015
Contact Number: 920-693-1000
Official Website: http://gotoltc.edu/
- Chippewa Valley Technical College
Address: 620 West Clairemont Avenue, Eau Claire, Wisconsin- 54701
Contact Number: 715-833-6200
Official Website: http://www.cvtc.edu/Pages/default.aspx
- Moraine Park Technical College
Address: 235 North National Avenue, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin- 54936-1940
Contact Number: 920-887-1101
Official Website: http://www.morainepark.edu/
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
Address: 2740 West Mason Street, P.O. Box- 19042, Green Bay, Wisconsin- 54307-9042
Contact Number: 920-498-5400
Official Website: http://www.nwtc.edu/Pages/home.aspx
- Blackhawk Technical College
Address: 6004 South County Road G, Janesville, Wisconsin- 53546-9458
Contact Number: 608-758-6900
Official Website: http://www.blackhawk.edu/
- Gateway Technical College
Address: 3520 30th Avenue, Kenosha, Wisconsin- 53144
Contact Number: 262-564-3600
Official Website: https://www.gtc.edu/gateway-technical-college
- Western Technical College
Address: 400 Seventh Street North, La Crosse, Wisconsin- 54601
Contact Number: 608-785-9200 / 800-322-9982
Official Website: http://www.westerntc.edu/
- Herzing University
Address: 555 South Executive Drive, Brookfield, Wisconsin- 53005
Contact Number: 262-649-1710
Official Website: http://www.herzing.edu/
- Milwaukee Area Technical College
Address: 700 West State Street, Milwaukee Wisconsin- 53233
Contact Number: 414-297- 6282
Official Website: http://www.matc.edu/
- Waukesha County Technical College
Address: 800 Main Street, Pewaukee, Wisconsin- 53072
Contact Number: 262-691-5566
Official Website: http://www.wctc.edu/
- Nicolet Area Technical College
Address: 5364 College Drive, Rhinelander, Wisconsin- 54501
Contact Number: 715-365-4410 / 800-544-3039
Official Website: http://www.nicoletcollege.edu/
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College
Address: 505 Pine Ridge Drive, Shell Lake, Wisconsin- 54871-8727
Contact Number: 715-468-2815
Official Website: http://www.witc.edu/
- Northcentral Technical College
Address: 1000 West Campus Drive, Wausau, Wisconsin- 54401
Contact Number: 715-675-3331
Official Website: https://www.ntc.edu/
- Mid-State Technical College
Address: 500 32nd Street North, Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin- 54494
Contact Number: 715-422-5300
Official Website: http://www.mstc.edu/
Apart from the above, if you still have further queries related to EMT training in Wisconsin, please contact –
Wisconsin Bureau of EMS
Address: 1 West Wilson Street, P.O. Box- 2659, Madison, Wisconsin- 53701
Contact Number: 608-266-1568
You should know –