EMT Program in Alabama
The EMT program in Alabama includes basic instructions, laboratory practice as well as internships at certain clinics and hospitals, in the field of emergency services. Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) are in great demand all over the United States. There are many procedures included in the process of taking up the job of an emergency medical technician. Students, who see their career as an EMT, must be trained from a state-approved EMT program institute, besides fulfilling some of the qualifications that are required in order to take this employment.
EMT program in Alabama will teach students to provide basic and necessary life support to patients, who are sick or injured. These professionals treat people succumbed to accidents, heart attacks, allergies, and diabetes. They also treat pregnant women and even those, who are in their labor period.
Now, the question arises that what are the requirements, which are mandatory to be fulfilled by an aspirant? Well, the essential requirements are:
- The student must be 18 years old.
- The student must possess a valid driver’s license.
- It is compulsory for a student to possess a GED or a high school certificate.
- For the program at some schools, students also need to pass a COMPASS test. This test checks the mathematical, English as well as reading skills of a student.
- A CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification is necessary to be acquired by the students.
- The student needs to undergo a drug test, along with a criminal background check.
- A student is ought to provide proofs of various vaccinations, like measles, tetanus, mumps, Hepatitis B, diphtheria, rubella, and pertussis.
- A proof of chickenpox vaccination is also required to be submitted by the student.
- The aspirant also needs to present a negative report of tuberculosis or PPD test, a flu shot as well as a negative report of chest X-ray, all that has been done in the last 12 months.
During EMT program, you learn the following skills:
- Basic knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Ways to move and lift the patient properly.
- Airway management and how to provide oxygen.
- How to perfectly handle emergencies, like accidents, cardiac, allergy, respiratory, poisoning, overdose, and many others.
- Patient assessment and taking vital signs.
- Bleeding management
- Shock treatment
- Injuries of spine, head, neck, and chest.
- Basic rescue and extrication of patients.
- Physiological differences in pediatric and adult patients.
- How to handle hazardous or dangerous situations.
- Ways to operate an ambulance properly.
After successfully pursuing the EMT program, the student also needs to pass an NREMT certification test for acquiring an EMT certification. Once the student successfully passes a National Registry of EMT (NREMT) test, he/she is licensed to practice as an Emergency Medical Technician in Alabama.
Duration and Fees of Basic EMT Program
The program may last for about 1-3 months, depending upon whether it is full-time or part-time.
- For University Programs: It will cost around $800-$1000.
- Community Colleges: It will cost around $200-$1000.
- Technical Schools: It can cost around $750-$1,800, or even more than that.
Some states also require the completion of NREMT tests, which costs approximately $70.
State Approved EMT Program Centers
The student must complete his/her EMT program from a well-reputed, state-approved program center. In Alabama, these program centers provide EMT program at three levels- Basic, Advanced and Paramedic. Some of these centers are:
- Bevill State Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 800, Sumiton, Alabama- 35148
Contact Number: 205-648-3271
- Calhoun Community College
Address: 6250, Highway 31 North, Tanner, Alabama- 35671
Contact Number: (256) 306-2500
- Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission
Address: 2501, Phoenix Drive, Tuscaloosa, Alabama- 35405
Contact Number: 800-241-2467 (toll free)
Fax Number: 205-391-3747
- Central Alabama Community College
Address: 34091, US Highway- 280, Childersburg, Alabama- 35044
Contact Number: 256-378-5576
Fax Number: 256-378-2027
- Faulkner State Community College
Address: 1900, Highway 31 South, Bay Minette, Alabama- 36507
Contact Number: (251) 580-2100
- Chattahoochee Valley Community College
Address: 2602, College Drive, Phenix City, Alabama- 36869
Contact Number: 334-291-4900
- Gadsden State Community College
Address: 1001, George Wallace Drive, Gadsden, Alabama- 35903
Contact Number: (256) 549-8200
- Herzing University
Address: 280, West Valley Avenue, Birmingham, Alabama- 35209
Contact Number: (205) 916-2800
- Jefferson Davis Community College
Address: PO Box 958, Brewton, Alabama- 36427
Contact Number: 251-809-1594
Fax Number: 251-809-1596
Official Website: http://www.jdcc.edu/mainindex.php
- Jefferson State Community College
Address: 2601, Carson Road, Birmingham, Alabama- 35215
Contact Number: (205) 853-1200
- Northeast Alabama Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 159, Rainsville, Alabama- 35986
Contact Number: 256-638-4418
- Lawson State Community College
Address: 3060, Wilson Road, South-west, Birmingham, Alabama- 35221
Contact Number: 205-925-2515
- Lurleen B. Wallace Community College
Address: P.O. Drawer- 1418, Andalusia, Alabama- 36420
Contact Number: 334-222-6591
- Northwest-Shoals Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 2545, Muscle Shoals, Alabama- 35662
Contact Number: 256-331-5200
- Southern Union State Community College
Address: 1701, LaFayette Parkway, Opelika, Alabama- 36801
Contact Number: (334) 745-6437
Official Website: http://www.suscc.edu/
- University of South Alabama
Address: Pat Capps Covey College of Allied Health Professions, Department of Emergency Medical Services, 600, Clinic Drive, CCCB- Suite 400, Mobile, Alabama- 36688
Contact Number: 251-461-1832
- H. Councill Trenholm State Technical College
Address: 1225, Air Base Boulevard, Montgomery, Alabama- 36108
Contact Number: 866-753-4544
- Wallace Community College
Address: 1141 Wallace Drive, Dothan, Alabama- 36303
Contact Number: (334) 983-3521
Fax: (334) 983-6066
- The University of West Alabama
Address: Livingston, Alabama- 35470
Contact Number: (800) 621-8044 (toll-free)
- Wallace State Community College
Address: 801, Main Street North-west, P.O. Box- 2000, Hanceville, Alabama- 35077-2000
Contact Number: 256-352-8000