EMT Program in Tennessee
To become a licensed EMT in the state of Tennessee, aspirants have to undergo a program program to develop emergency medical skills. In Tennessee, the students have to qualify NREMT examinations to obtain state license. The state considers four level of program, under which, students are taught basic, as well as advanced life supporting methods. EMT program in Tennessee is designed to prepare students for a brilliant career.
Essential EMT Program Requirements in Tennessee
The compulsory requirements in the state of Tennessee are:
- The foremost requirement to get enrolment in a program school is to attain an age of eighteen years or above.
- The students are also required to hold a high school diploma or GED.
- All the applicants have to show the proof of placement scores of tests, like ACCUPULAR or COMPASS.
- It is mandatory to hold a CPR certification and maintain it throughout the program program.
- Applicants also need to possess a valid driving license.
- The EMT aspirants may be required to undergo the following vaccinations:
- Hepatitis B
- The candidates are required to get Tdap vaccination to protect themselves against pertussis, diphtheria, chickenpox, and tetanus.
- It is also mandatory for the prospective EMTs to possess ability of lifting and balancing 125 pounds without help and 150 pounds with assistance.
- The EMT prospects are also required to experience a drug test.
- They may be asked to deposit the test results for criminal background check.
In the state of Tennessee, the EMT program is provided at four important levels. By successfully qualifying these levels, the applicant can easily become a licensed EMT.
- EMR (Emergency Medical Responder): The initial level of program, in which, all the basic methods and procedures are taught to a student.
- EMT-I: The second level of program, in which, the students are acquainted with some advanced methods, like managing advanced airway tools, understanding how to assess patients in different manner, and various medications.
- EMT-P (Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic): The third level of program, under which, students are instructed with essential complex procedures, like needle decompression of tension pneumothorax, nasogastric tube placement, endotracheal intubation, and use of cardiac event monitors/ECGs.
- CCP (Critical Care Paramedic): This is the level, which is officially endorsed by the state of Tennessee. At this last level of program, it is believed that a student is well aware of all basic and advanced techniques.
In these program levels, students are also taught various other methods and practices, like:
- Shock managing methods
- Techniques to stop excessive bleeding
- Methods to control haemorrhage
- Respiratory emergency techniques
- Cardiac emergency methods
- Trauma patient management
- Advanced airway management procedures
- Methods to handle gynaecological emergency
- Managing soft tissue injuries
- Process to lift and move injured or sick patients
- Understanding vital signs
- Epinephrine auto-injector
- Oxygen administration
- IV fluid therapy management
- Diabetic emergencies
- Methods to manage musculoskeletal emergencies
- Understand legal, ethical, and medical issues
- Handling spinal, head or neck injuries
Program Duration and Cost
Before enrolling in any program school, a student is obligate to check two main criteria- cost and length of the coursework.
In Tennessee, the students can complete program program in nearly 6 months to 1 year.
Apart from the length of program program, the cost of coursework is another important aspect to be considered. Usually, the students will have to spend almost $13,600 or above to take advantage of the program coursework.
State-Accredited EMT Program Institutions
- Northeast State Community College
Address: 2425 Highway 75, P.O. Box- 246, Blountville, Tennessee 37617-0246
Contact Number: 423-323-3191 / 800-836-7822
Official Website: http://www.northeaststate.edu/
- Cleveland State Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 3570, Cleveland, Tennessee- 37320
Contact Number: 423-472-7141 / 800-604-2722
Official Website: http://www.clevelandstatecc.edu/
- Columbia State Community College
Address: 1665 Hampshire Pike, Columbia, Tennessee- 38401
Contact Number: 931-540-2722
Official Website: http://www.columbiastate.edu/
- Volunteer State Community College
Address: Ramer Building, Suite- 173, 1480 Nashville Pike, Gallatin, Tennessee- 37066
Contact Number: 615-230-3688
Official Website: http://www.volstate.edu/
- Roane State Community College
Address: 276 Patton Lane, Harriman, Tennessee- 37748-5011
Contact Number: 865-354-3000 / 866-462-7722
Official Website: http://www.roanestate.edu/
- Jackson State Community College
Address: 2046, North Parkway, Jackson, Tennessee- 38301
Contact Number: 731-425-2643
Official Website: http://www.jscc.edu/
- Southwest Tennessee Community College
Address: 5983, Macon Cove, Memphis, Tennessee- 38134
Contact Number: 901-333-5000
Official Website: http://www.tn.edu/
- Walters State Community College
Address: 500 South Davy Crockett Parkway, Morristown, Tennessee- 37813-6899
Contact Number: 423-585-2600 / 800-225-4770
Official Website: http://www.ws.edu/home/
- Chattanooga State Community College
Address: 4501, Amnicola Highway, Chattanooga, Tennessee- 37406-1097
Contact Number: 423-697-4400 / 866-547-3733
Official Website: https://www.chattanoogastate.edu/
- Dyersburg State Community College
Address: 1510 Lake Road, Dyersburg, Tennessee- 38024
Contact Number: 731-286-3200
Official Website: http://www.dscc.edu/
- Tennessee Tech University
Address: 1 William L Jones Drive, Cookeville, Tennessee- 38505
Contact Number: 931-372-3101 / 800-255-8881
Official Website: http://www.tntech.edu/
- Motlow College
Address: P.O. Box- 8500, Lynchburg, Tennessee- 37352-8500
Contact Number: 931-393-1500 / 1-800-654-4877
Official Website: http://www.mscc.edu/
- Middle Tennessee State University
Address: 1301 East Main Street, Murfreesboro, Tennessee- 37132-0001
Contact Number: 615-898-2300
Official Website: http://www.mtsu.edu/
- Nashville Fire Department
Address: P.O. Box 196332, Nashville, Tennessee- 37219-6332
Contact Number: 615-862-5390
Official Website: http://nashfire.org/
- Sewanee- The University of the South
Address: 735 University Avenue, Sewanee, Tennessee- 37383
Contact Number: 931-598-1000
Official Website: http://www.sewanee.edu/
- The Livingston Parish Literacy and Technology Center
Address: 9261 Florida Boulevard, Walker, Louisiana- 70785
Contact Number: 225-667-5268
Official Website: http://www.lpltc.org/
- Cookeville Regional Medical Center
Address: 1 Medical Center Boulevard, Cookeville, Tennessee- 38501
Contact Number: 931-528-2541 / 931-783-2020
Official Website: http://www.crmchealth.org/
- St. Thomas Health Services
Address: 2000 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee- 37236
Contact Number: 615-284-5555
Official website: https://www.sths.com/Pages/Home.aspx
- Vanderbilt Lifeflight
Address: 1211 Medical Center Drive, Nashville, Tennessee- 37232
Contact Number: 615-322-5000
Official Website: http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/lifeflight/
For solving your queries, get in touch with
Tennessee Emergency Medical Services
Address: Heritage Place, Metro Center, 227 French Landing,
Suite- 303, Nashville, Tennessee- 37243
Contact Number: 615-741-2584 / 1-800-778-4505