EMT Program in Illinois
The students of EMT training program in Illinois learn to take necessary care of the patients, in cases of medical or disastrous trauma. In order to work as an Emergency Medical Technician, a student needs to take up a state-approved program in Illinois. The various levels of EMT program in Illinois are:
- First Responder Defibrillator (FRD)
- Pre-hospital Registered Nurse
- To pursue EMT program in Illinois, a student should be at least 18 years of age.
- He/she should own a valid driving license.
- He/she must maintain a current CPR or Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certification throughout the program that is provided by the any of the healthcare providers.
- A tenth-grade level or high school certificate is a must to be submitted by the student. Sometimes, even scores of ACCUPLACER or COMPASS exams are also necessary to be provided.
- Vaccination proof of measles, rubella, mumps, tetanus, chickenpox, hepatitis B, diphtheria and pertussis is compulsory to submit.
- A negative report of a flu shot, tuberculosis, and a chest examination, done within 12 months, should be submitted by the student applying for EMT program.
- He/she should also undergo a drug examination and the criminal background check.
- EMS systems
- Human body
- How to move and lift patients?
- Measurement of vital signs
- Legal and ethical issues of EMS
- Emergencies of respiratory, poison/overdose cardiac, diabetic, gynaecology and obstetrics
- Environmental emergencies
- Oxygen techniques and airway management
- Bleeding and shock management
- Pediatric emergencies
- Injuries of spine, head, neck, and chest
- Soft tissue and musculoskeletal injuries
- Care of aged patients
- Handling several patients simultaneously
Duration and Fees
The in-state fees of a basic, as well as paramedic level EMT program in Illinois, vary from college to college, and therefore, it ranges in between $5,000 to $10,000.
The duration of EMT-basic program in Illinois is around 120 hours. It will take about 950 hours, including theory and practical, to complete a paramedic level of the program.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Wilbur Wright College
Address: 4300 North Narragansett Avenue, Chicago, Illinois- 60634
Contact Number: (773) 777-7900
Official Website: http://www.ccc.edu/colleges/wright/
- College of DuPage
Address: 425 Fawell Boulevard, Glen Ellyn, Illinois- 60137
Contact Number: (630) 942-2800
Official Website: http://www.cod.edu/
- College of Lake County
Address: 19351 West Washington Street, Grayslake, Illinois- 60030-1198
Contact Number: (847) 543-2000
Official Website: http://www.clcillinois.edu/
- Harper College
Address: 1200 West Algonquin Road, Palatine, Illinois- 60067
Contact Number: 847-925-6707
Official Website: http://goforward.harpercollege.edu/
- Illinois Central College
Address: 1 College Drive, East Peoria, Illinois- 61635-0001
Contact Number: (309) 694-5422
Official Website: http://www.icc.edu/
- Joliet Junior College
Address: 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, Illinois- 60431-8938
Contact Number: (815) 729-9020
Official Website: http://www.jjc.edu
- Moraine Valley Community College
Address: 9000 West College Parkway, Palos Hills, Illinois- 60465-2478
Contact Number: (708) 974-4300
Official Website: http://www.morainevalley.edu/
- Southwestern Illinois College
Address: 2500 Carlyle Avenue, Belleville, Illinois- 62221
Contact Number: 618-235-2700
Official Website: http://www.swic.edu/
- Triton College
Address: 2000 Fifth Avenue, River Grove, Illinois- 60171
Contact Number: (708) 456-0300
Official Website: http://www.triton.edu/
- Waubonsee Community College
Address: Route 47 at Waubonsee Drive, Sugar Grove, Illinois- 60554-9454
Contact Number: (630) 466-7900
Official Website: http://www.waubonsee.edu/
- Loyola University
Address: 1032 West Sheridan Road, Chicago, Illinois- 60660
Contact Number: 773-274-3000
Official Website: http://www.luc.edu/
For any other query or information on EMT program in Illinois, you may contact:
Division of EMS & Highway Safety, Department of Public Health
525 West Jefferson Street,
Springfield, Illinois- 62761
Contact Number: (217) 785-2080