EMT Program in Mississippi
EMT program in Mississippi offers both classroom and practical program to students on ways to give proper pre-hospital care to patients or victims of medical or traumatic emergencies. Therefore, students must pursue EMT program from a state-approved institute. In this state, the program program is authorized by Mississippi Bureau of Emergency Medical Services.
- A student, who is applying for EMT program in Mississippi, should have attained an age of 18 years.
- He/she must possess a valid driving license in order to take EMT program in Mississippi.
- The student must be able to read high school level or must have passed GED. They may be asked to provide their COMPASS or ACCUPLACER test scores, which test a student’s proficiency in mathematics and English.
- EMT students in Mississippi should maintain their CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification while receiving the program.
- Following vaccination proofs should be provided by the students:
- Hepatitis B
- Besides this, aspirants also require to submit negative reports of tuberculosis test, chest X-ray, as well as a flu shot, done within the past 1 year.
- A drug test should be submitted by the student, as well as a check on criminal background is also needed.
There are three levels of EMT program in Mississippi:
- First Responders
Students, who take this level of program, provide the immediate medical help to emergency patients. Their program includes childbirth emergency, bandaging wounds, lifting & moving patients, airway management & oxygen delivery, EMS rules & regulations, as well as patient assessment.
EMT-basic program teaches students several interesting topics, such as airway control, cardiac & respiratory emergencies, diabetic emergencies, injuries of spine, head or neck, gynaecological & obstetrical emergencies, patient record and communication. After completing the didactic classes, they will have to undergo a clinical internship, which can be conducted at a nearby hospital or in an ambulance facility.
Paramedic technicians gain knowledge of more advanced ways of handling several emergency and trauma cases. Advanced cardiac life support, advanced airway management, and other techniques are the subject areas that are required to be studied by the students.
At the end of their program, an internship at the nearest hospitals or in an ambulance service is compulsory to take.
Duration and Fees
Approximately 110 hours of didactic program are required to complete an EMT-basic program program in Mississippi.
The program fee differs in different colleges, however, the approximate fee ranges between $2,000 and $5,000 per person.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Copiah-Lincoln Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 649, Wesson, Mississippi- 39191
Contact Number: 601-643-8307
Official Website: http://www.colin.edu/
- East Central Community College
Address: Room 171, P.O. Box- 129, Decatur, Mississippi- 39327
Contact Number: 601-635-6202
Official Website: http://www.eccc.edu/
- East Mississippi Community College
Address: 1512 Kemper Street, P.O. Box- 158, Scooba, Mississippi- 39358
Contact Number: (662) 476-8442
Official Website: http://www.eastms.edu/
- Hinds Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 1100, Raymond, Mississippi- 39154
Contact Number: 601-936-1860
Official Website: http://www.hindscc.edu/
- Holmes Community College
Address: 1 Hill Street, Goodman, Mississippi- 39079
Contact Number: (800) 465-6374
Official Website: http://www.holmescc.edu/
- Itawamba Community College
Address: 602 West Hill Street, Fulton, Mississippi- 38843
Contact Number: 662-862-8000
Official Website: http://www.iccms.edu/
- Jones County Junior College
Address: 900 South Court Street, Ellisville, Mississippi- 39437
Contact Number: (601) 477-4025
Official Website: http://www.jcjc.edu/
- Meridian Community College
Address: 910 Highways 19 North, Meridian, Mississippi- 39307
Contact Number: 601-483-8241
Official Website: http://www.mcc.cc.ms.us/
- Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 548, Perkinston, Mississippi- 39573
Contact Number: 601-928-5211
Official Website: https://www.mgccc.edu/
- Northwest Mississippi Community College
Address: 4975 Highway 51 North, Senatobia, Mississippi- 38668-1701
Contact Number: 662-562-3200
Official Website: http://www.northwestms.edu/
- University of Mississippi Medical Center
Address: 2500 North State Street, Jackson, Mississippi- 39216
Contact Number: 601-984-1000
Official Website: http://www.umc.edu/
- Coahoma Community College
Address: 3240 Friars Point Road, Clarksdale, Mississippi- 38614
Contact Number: (662) 627-2571
Official Website: http://www.ccc.cc.ms.us/
- Mississippi Delta Community College
Address: Highway 3 & Cherry Street, Moorhead, Mississippi- 38761
Contact Number: 662-246-6302
Official Website: http://www.msdelta.edu/
If you require any other information on EMT program in Mississippi, you may contact the below given address:
Division of Emergency Medical Services
P.O. Box- 1700,
Jackson, Mississippi- 39215-1700