EMT Program in South Dakota
The students, who want to provide willing emergency medical services, have to undergo EMT program in South Dakota. This program helps in enhancing the skills of the students in order to acquire certification by clearing NREMT (National Registry Emergency Medical Technician) exam. In South Dakota, the prospective EMTs have to undergo five different levels of program, which acquaints them with basic and advanced skills to provide necessary services during emergencies.
Mandatory EMT Program Requirements
It is very important for all the aspirants to meet all the essential requirements before searching for any program school. The requirements of each state are almost similar. However, the students of South Dakota have to fulfil the following requirements:
- The candidates have to possess an age of 18 years or above to get admission in a program school.
- The candidates are required to present evidence of high school diploma or General Education Development.
- Ability to read at 10th grade level is must for all students.
- The prospective EMTs have to carry a valid driving license.
- The applicants may be asked to present proof of various examinations, like ASSET or ACCUPLUAR, which are conducted to check English and mathematical knowledge.
- The candidates also need to face a drug test. It is mandatory for them to submit test results for the purpose of criminal background check.
- All the EMT aspirants are required to get a CPR certification. They also need to preserve the CPR certification throughout the program program.
- The potential EMTs are also ought to show evidences of various immunizations, like hepatitis B, mumps, measles, and rubella.
- The applicants must undergo Tdap vaccine in order to protect themselves from pertussis, tetanus, diphtheria, and chickenpox.
- The candidates may also need to get a flu shot, a negative skin tuberculosis skin PPD test, and a negative chest x-ray done for protection.
- The candidates should be able to lift and balance 125 pounds (alone) and 250 pounds (with other’s assistance).
It is the responsibility of a prospective EMT to know the details of the program program, which he is going to pursue. Until a student does not undergo proper program, he/she can’t be able to clear NREMT exams. In the state of South Dakota, the levels of EMT program are little different from other states. Let’s discuss these levels.
- EMT Responder: The first level of program, under which students are made aware of out-of-hospital care for medical emergencies. They do not need to practice complex procedures, but need to emphasize on the basic methods.
- EMT- Basic: The second level of program under which, students are instructed non-invasive methods of assessing and handling ill patients. The basic skills, like airway management, general pharmacology, assistance during childbirth emergency, etc. are taught to prospective EMTs.
- EMT- Intermediate: The intermediate level of program includes all the advanced techniques to handle airway devices, IV therapy, and advanced assessment skills.
- AEMT or Advanced Emergency Medical Technician: At this level of program, a student is considered to be aware of all basic and advanced methods to be used during any medical or critical emergency.
- EMT- Paramedic: The last level of program under which, higher procedures and techniques are received by a student in order to administer medical care at advance life supporting emergencies.
Program Cost and Duration
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Get Started As A Registered Nurse Today!
The cost and duration are the main facets of the EMT program, which are to be kept in mind before joining any EMT school. The approximate cost of Emergency Medical Technician program ranges between $5,700 and $23,800. When it comes to duration, students can complete program coursework in almost one whole semester.
State-Approved EMT Program Schools
Program schools recognized by the state help students in refining their emergency handling skills. Those, who want to take advantage of EMT programs in South Dakota, can go through the following list of state-accredited EMT schools:
- Lake Area Technical Institute
Address: 1201 Arrow Avenue, P.O. Box- 730, Watertown, South Dakota- 57201
Contact Number: 605-882-5284 / 1-800-657-4344
Official Website: http://www.lakeareatech.edu
- University of Sioux Falls
Address: 1101 West 22nd Street, Sioux Falls, South Dakota- 57105
Contact Number: 800-888-1047
Official Website: http://www.usiouxfalls.edu/
- Western Dakota Technical Institute
Address: 800 Mickelson Drive, Rapid City, South Dakota- 57703
Contact Number: 800-544-8765 / 605-394-4034
Official Website: http://www.wdt.edu/
Contact (in case of any query)
South Dakota Emergency Medical Services
Address: 118 West Capitol Avenue, Pierre, South Dakota- 57501
Contact Number: 605-773-3178
Official Website: http://dps.sd.gov/
Just fill your information and find the nearest school in your state.Click Here For Local Or Online Schools!