EMT Program in Louisiana
EMT program in Louisiana taught students the ways to respond to the crisis and emergency situations and provide life-support services to those patients, who are suffering from accidents or other health emergencies. But, it is important for students to take this program only from a state-accredited college or institute. Louisiana Bureau of Emergency Medical Services is the authority that accredits EMT programs in Louisiana.
Following are the general pre-requisites that must be fulfilled in order to apply for EMT program in Louisiana:
- The minimum age requirement in the state of Louisiana is eighteen years.
- A valid driving license should be owned by the student, applying for EMT program.
- The minimum educational requirement is a high school diploma or tenth grade level.
- A CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certification, issued by any of the healthcare providers, is also required to be maintained by the student, the whole time during his/her EMT program.
- Some EMT program schools in Louisiana also ask for the placement scores of tests, like COMPASS or ACCUPLACER. It serves as a proof that the student is capable to read, write and speak English, as well as well-versed in mathematics.
- Immunization proofs of mumps, measles, hepatitis B, diphtheria, rubella, tetanus, chickenpox and pertussis should be submitted by the students. Also, negative reports of tests of tuberculosis, chest X-ray and a flu shot, conducted within the last 12 months, are also imperative to be provided by the students.
- Another compulsory requirement is a drug test and a check on the criminal background of the student.
There are four main levels of EMT program in Louisiana:
- Emergency Medical Responder
- Emergency Medical Technician- Basic
- Emergency Medical Technician- Intermediate
The level-wise coursework of the program is as follows:
- Moving and lifting patients
- Handling patients of cardiac, respiratory and diabetic emergencies
- Bone fractures and car accidents
- Emergency childbirths
- Oxygen delivery systems and handling suction devices
After this, field program is also required, which enhances student’s practical skills.
This is an extension program of EMT-basic program. This includes topics, such as:
- Proper airway management
- Keeping a record of patients and documentation
- Trauma management
- Behavioural emergencies
- Pediatric management
- Ambulance operations
Finally, students also need to do an internship, which can be taken at any local hospital or any ambulance service. The period of internship differs according to the school, chosen by the student.
Students, who wish to take paramedic level of program, first need to possess their EMT-basic certification. They will study topics, like:
- Trauma emergencies
- Patient assessment
- Handling obstetrics, gynaecological, as well as neonatal emergencies
- Proper ventilation
- Operations assessment
- Legal and ethical issues
After the completion of the program, students need to take part in several clinical procedures at the local hospitals.
Duration and Fees
It will take around 5 months to complete an EMT-basic program. A paramedic program takes at least 2 years to complete.
Depending on the college or institution, the fees of EMT-basic program in Louisiana ranges from $2,000 to $4,000. The cost of paramedic program lies between $1,000 and $10,000.
State-Approved EMT Program Centers
- Bossier Parish Community College
Address: 6220 East Texas Street, Bossier City, Louisiana- 71111
Contact Number: 318-678-6000
Official Website: http://www.bpcc.edu/
- Southern University at Shreveport
Address: Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Shreveport, Louisiana- 71107
Contact Number: 318-670-6000
Official Website: http://www.susla.edu/Pages/SUSLAhome.aspx
- Central Louisiana Technical Community College
Address: P.O. Box- 5698- 4311 South MacArthur Drive, Alexandria, Louisiana- 71302
Contact Number: 318-487-5443
Official Website: http://cltcc.edu/
- Northshore Technical Community College
Address: 1710 Sullivan Drive, Bogalusa, Louisiana 70427
Contact Number: (985) 732-6640
Fax: (985) 732-6603
Official Website: http://www.northshorecollege.edu/
- Nunez Community College
Address: 3710 Paris Road, Chalmette, Louisiana- 70043
Contact Number: 504-278-6467
Official Website: http://www.nunez.edu/
- Fletcher Technical Community College
Address: 1407 Highway 311, Schriever, Louisiana- 70395
Contact Number: 985-448-7900
Official Website: http://www.fletcher.edu/
- South Louisiana Community College
Address: 320 Devalcourt, Lafayette, Louisiana- 70506
Contact Number: (337) 521-9000
Fax: (337) 521-8992
Official Website: http://www.solacc.edu/
- Delgado Community College
Address: 615 City Park Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana- 70119
Contact Number: (504) 671-5000
Official Website: http://www.dcc.edu/
- Nicholls State University
Address: P.O. Box- 2004, Thibodaux, Louisiana- 70310
Contact Number: (985) 448-4507
Fax: (985) 448-4929
Official Website: http://www.nicholls.edu/
For any other EMT related information in Louisiana, write to:
Bureau of EMS, LA Department of Health & Hospitals
P.O. Box- 629
Baton Rouge, Louisiana- 70821