EMT Salary in Louisiana

Income of emergency medical technician is majorly affected by the working location and job experience of an individual. As per the information provided by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 3,290 EMTs were employed in the state of Louisiana each receiving a mean annual and hourly pay of $36,910 and $17.74 respectively as on May 2013. Employment per thousand jobs was 1.75. A survey conducted by indeed.com May 2018 reveals that average EMT salary in Louisiana is around $28,200. Unfortunately, it was 11% lower than the average EMT salaries throughout the nation.

Yearly Salary of EMTs in LA on Different Percentile Brackets


The table below lists the annual wages of EMTs based on different percentile brackets.

Percentile Bracket

Annual wages

10%

$21,520

25%

$28,520

50%

$37,390

75%

$44,930

90%

$50,990

 Information Source – The Bureau of Labor Statistics (as of May 2013)

  • 10% of the EMTs made less than $21,520 annually while 90% made more than $21,520.
  • 25% received an income less than $28,520 while 75% received above $28,520.
  • 50% of the EMTs salaried less than $37,390 while rest 50% salaried more than $37,390.
  • 75% earned less than $44,930 while 25% earned more than $44,930.
  • 90% of the EMTs were offered less than $50,990 while remaining 10% got more than $50,990.

Income based on the Geographical Location

The salary of an EMT greatly depends on the location of a job. Alexandria offered the lowest median annual salary of $30,808 and hourly pay of $15. The mean monthly income across the state ranges in between $2,567 and $2,883. The complete salary details of EMT from the survey of April 2018 are mentioned in the table below:

Name of the City

Median Annual Salary

Median

Monthly Salary

Median

Weekly Salary

Median

Hourly Salary

Alexandria

$30,808

$ 2,567

$ 642

$ 15

Baton Rouge

$31,920

$ 2,660

$ 665

$ 16

Bossier City

$31,920

$ 2,660

$ 665

$ 16

Houma

$34,318

$ 2,859

$714

$ 17

Kenner

$34,561

$2,880

$720

$17

La Place

$34,213

$2,851

$712

$17

Lafayette

$31,433

$2,619

$655

$15

Lake Charles

$31,518

$2,627

$657

$15

Marrero

$34,596

$2,883

$721

$17

Metairie

$34,596

$2,883

$721

$17

Monroe

$32,069

$2,672

$668

$16

New Iberia

$31,260

$2,605

$651

$15

New Orleans

$34,596

$2,883

$720

$17

Shreveport

$31,820

$2,651

$663

$16

Salary of EMT holding Different Job Title


The salary figures vary according to the job title. Students planning to take up EMT as a profession can take one step further and develop their skills to become EMT instructors, paramedics or even program officers in this field, so as to earn hefty packages. Cardiovascular Specialist Ral in Louisiana earned $60,000 while EMT Akron OH paid the lowest.

Job Title

Salary

Paramedic Evansville

$31,000

EMT Paramedic

$32,000

Electrician Journeyman

$38,000

EMT Basic

$21,000

EMT Security Officer

$24,000

Firefighter EMT

$35,000

Firefighter Recruit

$41,000

Emergency Medical Technician Basic

$20,000

EMT Akron OH

$19,000

Cardiovascular Specialist Ral

$60,000

Emrgncy Medical Technician

$26,000

EMT Emergency Medical Technician

$23,000

EMT P

$39,000

EMT Paramedic Instructor

$24,000

Security Officer EMT

$24,000

Information Source – indeed.com (as of January 2015)

Other Benefits

Apart from the base salary, EMTs enjoy other perks as well. Some of them are listed below:

  • Bonus
  • Social security
  • Disability compensation
  • Healthcare including dental for themselves and their family
  • Pension benefits
  • Time off for sick leave
  • Life insurance
  • Financial aid

Job Outlook

Federal labor officials of USA anticipate an increase of 23 percent in the number of EMTs from 2012 to 2022.  The growing population witness – road accidents, domestic violence, public protests, terrorist acts and natural disasters – taking place around us very often. Hence, there is a huge demand for Emergency Medical Technicians all over the USA which is indeed a huge opportunity for those who wish to help others and become a part of the medical fraternity.

Do You Know