EMT Salary in Rhode Island
You will be amazed to know that the EMT salary in Rhode Island varies a lot within the state. There are many key factors that contribute to the income of these professionals. The Emergency Medical Technician has a bright scope and he/she can further become a fire-fighter, paramedic or can jump into a career in management and education, and can earn a higher salary. Moreover, additional certification and program also augment EMT pay levels. Let’s discuss in detail the hourly, monthly and annual salaries of Emergency Medical Technicians.
How much does an EMT make every year?
The average annual and hourly pay of EMTs in Rhode Island, as calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, amounts to $36,010 and $17.31, respectively. As per the data collected by ‘indeed.com’, the average salary of an Emergency Medical Technician is $35,000.
In May 2013, the BLS conducted the national compensation survey to calculate the salaries on different percentile basis. The result of the survey is shown in the below given table:
Average Hourly Salary
Average Annual Salary
10th Percentile Wage
25th Percentile Wage
50th Percentile Wage
75th Percentile Wage
90th Percentile Wage
Salary as per Geographical Location
Along with work experience and education, geographical location is the other factor that greatly impacts the income of the Emergency Medical Technicians. Fortunately, EMT salary of all 9 cities of Rhode Island is above the national average. The table below provides median annual, monthly and hourly salary of ambulance technicians in the state:
Median Annual Salary
Median Monthly Salary
Median Hourly Salary
The annual median salary of an Emergency Medical Technician in Rhode Island ranges between $32,605 and $33,107, whereas the monthly median income varies from $2,717 to $2,759. The hourly median salary is same in all the cities, i.e., $16. The top paying city is Newport, while Coventry, Cranston, Cumberland, Pawtucket, Providence, Warwick and Woonsocket are the lowest paying cities.
Salary of the Similar Job Titles
EMT professionals can also pursue other jobs, which fall under this category. The salaries provided to job titles that are similar to that of an EMT is given below:
- EMT Paramedic: $40,000
- Cardiovascular Specialist: $64,000
- EMT Dispatcher: $19,000
- Commercial Electrician Mechanic: $31,000
- EMT B: $19,000
- Corrections Sergeant Master: $41,000
- ED Technician Emergency Department: $53,000
- Critical Care Paramedic: $32,000
- Security EMT Officer: $26,000
- Commercial Electrician Journeyman: $36,000
- Fire-fighter EMT: $41,000
Emergency medical technicians also get other benefits besides receiving a basic salary for their services. Some of the benefits are:
- 21 days of sick leave and 21 days of vacation/casual leave per year.
- EMTs and their respective families also get benefits of health, vision and dental insurance.
- EMTs, who are actively working as ambulance technicians, also get Life Insurance.
- The program and continuing education (CE) charges are sometimes borne by the employers of the EMTs.
- Other advantages include Deferred Compensation Program, like Employee Stock Option.
Employment opportunities for Emergency Medical Technicians are likely to increase by a substantial percentage in the near future. EMTs can work at hospitals, private clinics, ambulance services, rescue teams, etc. Between 2012 and 2022, the number of EMT positions will increase by 23% in the United States.