EMT Salary in South Carolina
EMT salary in South Carolina is calculated on the annual, monthly and hourly basis. The salary of an Emergency Medical Technician in various cities of the state differs according to the geographic location, population, type of industry, and program level. In this article, you can compare the salaries of EMTs of all the cities of South Carolina with the data provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) and other surveys.
How much does an EMT make every year?
Like other states, in South Carolina also, the EMT salary is computed by several departments and bureaus. According to the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics) survey, the average annual and hourly pay of these professionals are:
- Average Per Annum Salary: $33,470
- Average Hourly Salary: $16.09
As per the May 2018 report of ‘indeed.com’, the average annual salary of an Emergency Medical Technician is around $34,248.
The BLS survey has also provided the EMT salary on various percentile brackets, which is represented in the table below:
Average Hourly Salary
Average Annual Salary
10th Percentile Wage
25th Percentile Wage
50th Percentile Wage
75th Percentile Wage
90th Percentile Wage
Salary as per Geographical Location
While deciding the salary of the EMTs, the geographical location also matters a lot. Unluckily, salaries of the Emergency Medical Technicians in 10 cities of South Carolina are below the national average according to the Survey of April 2018. In order to know the detailed information about the median annual, monthly, and hourly income of these professionals, look at the table below:
Median Annual Salary
Median Monthly Salary
Median Hourly Salary
Hilton Head Island
The annual median salary of an Emergency Medical Technician ranges between a maximum of $34,356 to a minimum of $31,309, and the monthly median salary fluctuates between $2,609 and $2,863. The median hourly pay varies from $15 and $17. The top paying city is Rock Hill, while the lowest paying city of is Sumter.
Salary of the Similar Job Titles
There are other jobs as well, which are similar to the job of an Emergency Medical Technician. EMTs can also take up these jobs after taking an additional program and acquiring experience. Here is an account of salary offered to some of them:
- Emergency Department Technician: $31,000
- EMT Paramedic: $40,000
- Firefighter EMT: $42,000
- Corrections Sergeant Master: $40,000
- Cardiovascular Specialist: $64,000
- EMT Security Officer: $27,000
- Circulating RN Surgical: $81,000
- Commercial Electrician Helper: $24,000
- Commercial Electrician Mechanic: $31,000
- Commercial Electrician Journeyman: $36,000
Besides receiving a salary, EMTs are also entitled to several other benefits, such as:
- EMTs, along with their families, get health, vision and dental insurance.
- They get 21 days of sick leave, as well as 21 days of vacation leaves in the whole year.
- EMTs, who are currently active in offering emergency medical services, are also entitled to Life Insurance.
- The program fees, as well as the continuing education (CE) charges, are often paid by the employers.
- Emergency Medical Technicians get other allowances of the Deferred Compensation Program, like Employee Stock Option.
A high rise in the job opportunities for the Emergency Medical Technicians in the coming years is expected. EMTs can work in private/public hospitals, rescue teams, ambulance services, etc.