EMT Salary in Pennsylvania
EMT salary in Pennsylvania is decided after considering various factors, like education, experience, the number of working hours, and the agency you work for. Besides, the cost of living and competition for jobs in the state where you are currently working also significantly impact your salary figures. Moreover, Emergency Medical Technicians have opportunities to add on to their income by extending their working hours. To know more about the yearly, monthly and hourly salary of EMT professionals in this state, continue to read the article.
How Much Money Does an EMT Make Every Year?
A lot of government bureaus hold the responsibility of determining EMT salaries in Pennsylvania. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is a highly trusted agency, which conducts a number of surveys from time-to-time in order to calculate the salary figures of the professionals, associated with different fields. The BLS has conducted a survey in the year 2017 to determine the pay scale of Emergency Medical Technicians in Pennsylvania. The findings of this survey are as follows:
- Average Annual Salary: $33,200
- Average Hourly Salary: $15.96
EMTs obtain a salary of around $28,710 per annum according to ‘indeed.com’ May 2018 report.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics OES also provides data on EMT salary at various percentile brackets. The below-given table shows the average yearly and hourly income of Emergency Medical Technicians according to different percentile brackets:
Average Annual Salary
Average Hourly Salary
90th Percentile Wage
75th Percentile Wage
50th Percentile Wage
25th Percentile Wage
10th Percentile Wage
Salary as per Geographical Location
As we already know that the income of medical technicians of a particular city depends on several factors. In Pennsylvania, EMTs of 7 cities (out of 22 cities) receive salary below the national average. The median annual, monthly and hourly pay of an Emergency Medical Technician is given in the following table:
Median Annual Salary
Median Monthly Salary
Median Hourly Salary
The annual median EMT salary in Pennsylvania ranges between a maximum of $39,276 to a minimum of $32,105, while the median monthly remuneration varies from $2,675 to $3,273 according to the Survey of April 2018. The hourly median salary of these professionals fluctuates between $16 and $19. The top-paying cities are Levittown and Doylestown, while the lowest paying city of the state in Erie.
Salary of the Similar Job Titles
Emergency Medical Technicians of Pennsylvania can also get employed in other professions, which are similar to the job of an EMT. Some of the similar job titles along with their salaries are provided below:
- EMT Paramedic: $40,000
- ED Technician Emergency Department: $52,000
- EMT Security Officer: $27,000
- Firefighter EMT: $41,000
- Circulating RN Surgical: $80,000
- Corrections Sergeant Master: $40,000
- Cardiovascular Specialist: $64,000
- Commercial Electrician Helper: $24,000
- Commercial Electrician Mechanic: $31,000
- Commercial Electrician Journeyman: $36,000
Apart from getting a salary, ambulance technicians also get several other allowances, like:
- EMTs and their family members are entitled to health, dental and vision insurance.
- 21 days of vacation leaves in a year.
- 21 days of sick leaves in a year.
- Those, who are acting as an emergency medical technician, also get Life Insurance.
- Sometimes, employers also make the payment for the program and continuing education fee of the EMTs.
- Other allowances of the Deferred Compensation Program, like Employee Stock Option.
- Pension benefits
- Promotional opportunities
Job prospects for these professionals are expected to grow in the coming years. EMTs can get employed at public or private hospitals, ambulance services, rescue squads, etc. Increase in the percentage of the population of elderly people, an increase in the number of natural calamities and other accidents, like household injuries, falls and serious ailments have to lead to an increase in the demand for EMTs.
You should know –